Thread: Starting issues on swap

Electronic Ignition!

Starting issues on swap

So we drove a tbi swapped 84 k20 that came from a 92 k2500 with the manual tranny around town and it runs awesome on our few mile trips. Then it died in a drive thru, let it sit and it started right up after about 45 mins. Ran great until I got it home 5 miles later and now it fires randomly based on my timing light. The coil is firing consistently but it randomly fires to the plugs. I don't believe it's overheating because I can still stick my finger in the radiator (definitely warm but not scalding hot) and I see the water flowing through the radiator. For information I still have the computer in the engine compartment until I know that I have this thing running properly. Any suggestions? I have the obd1 port hooked up with out my inline idiot light wired in but am running a test light in the terminal on the plug and am only getting the diagnostic 12 code saying that it's in diagnostic but doesn't throw any other code. Just repeats code 12. It has a 2 day old distributor in it that I had the timing set at 2 degrees initial based on other forums. It ran better than the suggested 0 degrees. I've read that it could be due to a bad map? And my fuel pump has changed pitch a little. Was wondering if I possibly have too high psi of a pump or bad regulator causing over fueling but am confused on how that would effect spark? I haven't pulled the plugs quite yet due to weather.

Computer don't like underhood heat!

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Found the issue being the return line being restricted. Relieved the restriction and fired right up. Got the computer into the cab now on top of the AC ducting.

Thanks for the update.

dave w