Thread: 1992 Jeep Wrangler with 350TPI/700R4 VSS Options

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

1992 Jeep Wrangler with 350TPI/700R4 VSS Options

Please forgive my noobness. I searched and found some advice, but no solutions.

Here is what I have so far.

Vehicle:

1992 Jeep Wrangler with original 4 banger efi with 5 speed manual

Swap engine:

Blueprint Engines 355 1 piece rear seal. Forged crank/rods/pistons. Dart heads and a tpi friendly cam.

Fuel Injection:

GM TPI from a 1989 IROC. Painless wiring with a 1227730 ecm running speed density.

Plans:

Remove all original fuel injection related wiring from Jeep harness and replace with painless and keep as neat as possible. I would like to retain all GM TPI emissions so I can get through inspection. Also keep all original Jeep gauges working along with speedometer. Basically keep it as neat and factory looking as possible.

As far as I know, the stock gauges will work with the GM senders. Oil, water, and Volt that is. Speedometer is a different story.

VSS Problems:

As far as I can tell from searches is the original Jeep VSS is a 8 pulse sender of the "Hall Effect" type. The GM TPI is looking for a 4 pulse VSS AC signal, I think?

Possible Soultions:

1. Use and aftermarket ECM that will accept the 8 pulse "Hall Effect" VSS?

2. Find someone to burn me a custom PROM that will work with the 1227730 ecm to accept the 8 pulse "Hall Effect" VSS?

3. Find a complete aftermarket ECM setup to use the 8 pulse "Hall Effect" VSS?

4. In 1991, Jeep used a mechanical speedometer and a VSS. The sender for this year had the mechanical speedometer and electric vss in one unit. I think I can use the VSS part of the sender to run the original Jeep speedometer. Where the mechanical speedometer would normally hook up, I can use a Painless 4 pulse generator for the 1227730 ecm.

I hope this makes sense. Sorry if I have been rambling on, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around this one issue I have with figuring out the VSS issue.
    If I had my way, I would like to have option 2. This way I can use as many oem parts and senders.

Thanks for reading.

Pat
    Last edited by misterpat; 03-04-2015 at 12:39 AM.