Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BCC Find still down?

Fuel Injected!
    Installed a ZIF socket to a 5.7 memcal. Makes prom swapping sooo much easier. Took a bit of finesse to solder in the socket, but it works! Tried disabling knock retard to at least eliminate a variable. No difference. Run quality seems to degrade about the same time ECM goes closed loop and BLMs are 150+. I am suspicious of the ebay pump now. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but I do have a NIB Delco pump I can swap. Will try running it with closed loop disabled to see if it makes a difference in run quality and verify P/Ns on the injectors to make sure they are 61lb. Engine came from someone with more tools than sense. Could there be something from the AT controls that could cause it to run like that? I know it effects DFCO, DFEL, and idle. The ECM does show that it is in 2nd gear all the time.

Fuel Injected!
    Got an ostrich from Moates! Had a chance to play around with it a little today when I got home from work and got a small log saved. Still pretty overwhelmed with this project. Played with the spark bias and injector size among other things. Seems like the exhaust runs hotter than it should, stared to melt the carpet inside the cab. Could just be the close proximity of the soon to be wrapped headers or something else is way off. Never enough hours in a day.

Fuel Injected!
    Have you done any VE tuning yet? BLMs like that mean you're running very lean which will bump up the temps. What kind of pump are you using? Being from eBay doesn't matter, it's just a place for buyers and sellers to connect.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    Have yet to do any VE tuning. I was hoping to avoid the need by using a stock TBI 5.7 L05. The pump IIRC was a 3902, I swapped the first one for an AC Delco pump, didn't make any difference. What really has me concerned, is that I drove the truck ~200 miles or so with just the A/T codes unflagged and it seemed to run alright. Only thing that changed was the exhaust started to leak from the manifold gaskets, then collector gaskets, and I replaced the gaskets and have no more exhaust leaks. As far as ebay parts go, I've had more good luck than bad luck with parts there. I did however get a weak from the box pump that had me chasing my tail tune-wise with my SBC S10 until the pump gave out completely and I changed it out. World of difference in performance and drive-ability, so I was suspicious of the pump. Before anyone suggests, the cat is hollow on this truck.

Fuel Injected!
    I feel stupid asking this, but where is the VE table? I have gone through everything in the XDF and have not found a VE table. I know I had one in my $42 XDF. Nevermind, I found it.
    Last edited by Zefyr; 07-10-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    $OD?..VE tables are under BPW Parameters
    "I tried mediation... I tried medication... Then i realized what i really needed was more Horsepower!"
    - = 1984 Corvette CFI - 700R4 - 7427 $0D - 18psi - ex262H-14 = -

Fuel Injected!
    Well I found the root of my problem.... At some point my dist hold down loosened, guess what base timing was wayyy off. Explains chasing my tail with the VE table the last few hours. Glad it wasn't something worse.

Fuel Injected!
    Drove almost 1000 miles and towed a car home with it! No issues, other than it being really hot in Las Vegas. I will post a copy of the bin in a day or so.

Fuel Injected!
    So I had something odd happen... Hope someone might have an idea. I added a relay at the headlight dimmer switch to keep my low beams on with the high beams. I am running HID bulbs with ballasts for all 4 lights. When switching between high and low it will sometimes cause the idle to surge, other times it will kill the engine when switching between high and low. The driver side low beam light will also not come back on sometimes when switching from high to low, with or without the relay in play. Now for the strange part. While trying to diagnose this phantom light, and ignoring the idle issue. After a high low cycle, the engine died. When restarted I had to apply some throttle to get it to start and got a code 51 checksum failure. I decided to call it quits with the headlight relay. I could not get the code 51 to clear until I swapped ECUs. I verified the bin in the emulator, no problem. Re-uploaded the bin, no issue. Still had code 51. Swapped ECU, code went away. Swapped back to prior ECU, no code. Wtf could the headlight circuit possibly have to do with the engine harness? 94 C1500

Fuel Injected!
    I'd say it's probably a ground issue. Make sure your headlight and EFI wiring both have good and separate grounds.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    Turns out it was a bad HID bulb. Was still lighting, but one insulator cracked near the base of the bulb allowing it to arc across and backfeed through the ballast. Was causing a good voltage spike through the rest of the vehicle. Switched back to halogens for the low beams until new HID bulbs show up.