Thread: Need help please!

Carb and Points!

Need help please!

I know I could probably find this answer after searching and searching. I've been through a lot of crap with the parts stores and really just need a simple answer please! I am doing the ECM upgrade on my 85 base corvette. I have bough everything needed except the PROM. I ordered one two weeks ago only for the parts store to tell me the order was canceled a day later! Incompetent people! Now it could be another two weeks before I get my prom. I have the moates apu1 setup and am ready to fix my car.
    My question is, do I have to have the exact prom for my car to start with? Or can I just use one that is compatible with my new ecm? I'm gonna put a cusom tune on it anyway, right?
    My car calls for an AANM prom which seems to be pretty rare. Can I use an ARAP or anything else? I have several new blank chips ready to burn. Unfortunately the one thing I don't have a lot of is time! I'm a full time single father with rare weekends to work on my car, and I had been planning this for awhile! Stupid parts store!
    Last edited by jacksonuga; 02-28-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    As long as its a v8 memcal from the same style of Efi ie TPI MEMCAL running on TPI.or TBI ON TBI will be fine.also depends if the memcal holds the knock filter or if you have external in the engine bay

Carb and Points!
    I'm not to sure about anything on this car. The owner passed away 8 years before I bought it. I know it's an 85 with a ZZ4 crate motor. That's why I'm doing the ecm swap because it just won't run right. Done all the basic c4 stuff, iac, tps, etc, etc....

Well, when it comes to ECM swapping the original PROM usually won't work.

IIRC the swap you are doing is going from an old (edge card type) ECM, that was a one year only deal to a '7165?

If that is the case then you need a MEMCAL that is for the '7165. In reality all you need is the LHM chips, which if I'm not mistaken other ECMs could be donors here, possible '7730 MEMCALs? I haven't tried this myself, but from what I understand the pinouts of the LHM side of the MEMCAL were kept the same for many different ECMs.

So what I'm getting at is, don't worry too much about what's on the actual PROM in the MEMCAL, since you will be tuning your car anyway. With the APU1, you can simply download a bin that is close to your combo and use the APU1 to tune it for best running, then when you're ready program that bin to an EEPROM.

Posting about the details or your ECM swap will help point you in the right direction.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    First off, thanks for the replies, it really helped me out! I now have what may be a dumb question. I'm almost done with my ecm swap and all the info I can find says that the new relay connectors pins will be labeled ABCDEF. They are not. Neither are the relays. I'm following members write-ups that say connect A to E and etc, but I don't know what is A or B. Should it be as simple as when looking at the front of the relay it goes from left to right, A to B? Or is it jumbled about or otherwise? I've been searching for a few hours now with no definitive answer! Please advise!?

It would help to post the sources of your information, without that context it'll be really difficult to help you.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Sorry, I've read a ton before starting and while gathering parts, but here is where I decided to trust the bulk of instruction from:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...tructions.html

and,

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap/

Thanks!

Administrator
    Ummm... Erm... which relay?? Are you using this diagram (shamelessly stolen from http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-needed.html)?

This thread has similar questions and has a very nice image: http://www.truckforum.org/forums/che...f-body-11.html

Maybe it helps?

Carb and Points!
    The relays I'm using are GP Sorensen MR82 and the relay connectors are PICO Wiring 5648c.

Administrator
    Try the wiring above. An Ohmmeter will help locate the correct positions.