Thread: 383 TPI start up

383 TPI start up

Hi All

I finally got my carb to TPI swap on my 383 done. Other than cough and spit from the HEI not spot on, there were no issues. After warm up, the timing was set to 11 deg initial and then plugged back up to the ECM. vacume at idle hovers between 12 and 13". Fuel pressure is set at 43psi and jumps to 49psi when the throttle is spiked. Sounds smoother than the carb that was there. Weather is very cold and much too much snow for a test drive. keep you guys posted

This site was a great inspiration to do the swap and calm my worries. Thank-you all

Mikey G

Fuel Injected!
    cool. it must feel nice

You bet !
    Feels like or until my first road trip, certainly sounds awsome.
    I'm looking ahead at doing a EFI Connection 24X conversion to DID and coil per cyl. Anybody have expierence with this or advice to offer?
    Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Electronic Ignition!
    Hi,

I have tpi 350 on a gen I. It runs awsome. Hopefully your is gong strong. I have a painless harness for a 2001 vortec ls1, and a 411 pcm programmed from a speedshop. I've yet to mount the vss and crank reluctor. have you made any progress?

Hi,
    I have accumulated 3 harnesses from V8 doner vehicles, two coil pack sets, two 411 PCMs and four distributors. For anyone who is wondering the V6 Vortec distributor is identical to the V8 - with the exception of the cap. I didn't buy the EFI Connection's reluctor and timing cover yet. Summer is here and will continue having fun with the OBDI (SD) set up. My tuner has done a an amazing job with the initial set up and is working on just minor things. The set up is running very strong. As with most TPIs. awsome torque in the low and midrange then starts to taper out after 5500. I built my 383 to reflect this and I and very pleased with the results. The 10 bolt diff is now leaking from the pinion seal and the backlash seems excessive. Haven't opened it up yet but, I'm currently looking to rebuild the diff and upgrading from the 3:42 to 3:73 gears.

As for the upgrade to the engine management, I will probably set serious this fall and into the winter. I want to make my own harness using the best of the three I have. I also want to try and mount the LS coils somewhere else other than on top of the valve covers. Please lets keep in touch with this. I'm sure there is information to trade...

Cheers,

Mikey G

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey G View Post
    You bet !
    Feels like or until my first road trip, certainly sounds awsome.
    I'm looking ahead at doing a EFI Connection 24X conversion to DID and coil per cyl. Anybody have expierence with this or advice to offer?
    Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    After reading articles on coil on plug engine performance, that is the way to go. After purchasing LSx stuff and harness, needed to purchase TAC module for DBW and EFI live stuff. That was an additional $1200.00! The cost just kept mounting up. Went with Electromotive TEC3 as it could blend TPS with MAP for radical cams. Investigated other aftermarket EFI systems. Just bumped into latest generation Megasquirt EFI. Watch annual get together on YouTube and WOW the good tuning stuff. Investigated latest generation Megasquirt and it does all that Electromotive does, and a lot more! Suggest that you look at Megasquirt VERY CAREFULLY. Does Coil on Plug, Sequential EFI and can skew individual timing of fuel and spark PER CYLINDER! Great stuff.

rsicard, sorry for the late reply.

It seems the message tracking in not working on this thread.

Still trying to work out some small issues with my OBD1 set up. for hardware I have acquired all but the reluctor wheel and front timing cover. I will need to get the software. I was leaning towards HP Tuners. Lots of great tutorials on the internet and does look easy - $700. I haven't looked at Megasquirt yet, but I'll get to it. My priority now is to try get the existing OBD1 to work properly. Not ready to give up on it just yet.

What application are you working on ?

Cheers

Mikey G