Thread: Having an issue with 383 TBI and new to data logging

Fuel Injected!

Having an issue with 383 TBI and new to data logging

Hey all! This is my first post. Hoping to get some understanding of the data I logged from my truck tonight. Here some specs from the truck:

1990 Chevrolet K2500, 383 crate engine (originally a 350), 1228747 ECM/Stock TBI system with new chip that came with the engine, SM465 Manual Transmission

It has ran okay since the engine was put in last August, but I think it can be even better. There was a surging idle when cold that I wanted to get rid of and try to get the most out of the new engine. I pulled, cleaned, and rebuilt the TB, replaced the TPS, IAC, MAP Sensor, O2 sensor, ICM, and ignition coil with stock L05 replacement parts. When I did the TB rebuild, I also put in a new 18 PSI FPR spring to allow more fuel to feed the extra displacement. After getting it all back together, it isn't running very well at all. I have adjusted the TPS to show the correct voltage when the throttle is closed, reset the IAC valve, and adjusted the idle screw to where it now will idle pretty well when cold. After things warm up and it runs in closed loop, the idle gets progressively more rough and will eventually stall. Also, the tach needle will begin to jump around when the actual engine RPM doesn't fluctuate much at all. After that its nearly impossible to get it to run again until it cools back down.

Today I recorded some data from startup to stall to see if it shows what is going on. Here is a link to the data in an excel file (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...WW8&authuser=0). From just a little research into what the parameters are, I see the BLM value steadily increasing from the time closed loop starts until the engine quits. An increasing BLM means that the O2 sensor is reading lean and the ECM is trying to add fuel to bring the O2 sensor reading down? Also I see that the High Battery Voltage result starts OK, then goes to ERROR. I didn't see any codes being set during the entire run either. Is my understanding of the BLM value correct or do I have it backwards? My theory is that the new FPR spring is exposing the fuel pump as being too weak to supply the engine with the fuel it needs. I have a new higher output pump, new fuel filter, and reconditioned injectors ready to go in this weekend to fix it. Is there anything else the data is saying that i'm missing?
    Last edited by Chewy1576; 02-27-2015 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Incorrect ECM ID
    1990 Chevrolet K2500, RCLB, Blueprint 383 TBI (16197427 ECM / 61 lb/hr / 16 psi FP), NV4500, NP241C, 4.10

Wading through the data you posted is challenging in that format. It would be much easier if you downloaded TunerProRT along with the appropriate files from this site to record and post a datalog. I do see what you mean about the increasing BLM's. A better fuel pump is a great place to start. Be prepared to do your own tuning though.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the reply! TunerProRT is what I used to collect the data. Here is the .adx I used and the resulting .xdl (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-y...ew?usp=sharing). The .adx file came with the Red Devil River cable I used to read the data streams.

Edit: I just found the updated .adx for the 7747 ECM and wow! The Tuner Data tab is an eye opener! 200+% injector duty cycle can't be right! It looks like more fuel will help a lot! I may go to a fully adjustable FPR instead of just a stronger spring.
    Last edited by Chewy1576; 02-26-2015 at 06:30 AM.
    1990 Chevrolet K2500, RCLB, Blueprint 383 TBI (16197427 ECM / 61 lb/hr / 16 psi FP), NV4500, NP241C, 4.10

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy1576 View Post
    Here is a link to the data in an excel file (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...WW8&authuser=0)
    I appreciate the link to the Excel file. The TunerPro RT .xdl would actually be more helpful for me personally. The "Go Advanced" tab allows attaching the .xdl file. With the .xdl file I can play back the log with TunerPro RT. If need be I can export the .xdl to excel.

dave w

dave

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I appreciate the link to the Excel file. The TunerPro RT .xdl would actually be more helpful for me personally. The "Go Advanced" tab allows attaching the .xdl file. With the .xdl file I can play back the log with TunerPro RT. If need be I can export the .xdl to excel.

dave w

dave
    Dave thanks for checking out the excel file. In my second post I attached a link to a zip file with the .ads files used to create the log and the resulting .xdl file. I have since then found the post here with a newer .ads file. Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy1576 View Post
    Dave thanks for checking out the excel file. In my second post I attached a link to a zip file with the .ads files used to create the log and the resulting .xdl file. I have since then found the post here with a newer .ads file. Let me know what you think.
    I appreciate the links, I would much rather have the files attached here.

dave w

Fuel Injected!

Fuel Injected!
    I'm a noob... I didn't think that ECM ID was correct and it isn't... I have an 1228747 ECM... Stock chip code was AKWH also.

Attached are some files for the '7747, the .adx needed to use the Excel spreadsheet to adjust VE. The .adx you are using does not work with the Excel spreadsheet. Copy / Paste the TunerPro RT .csv into the Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet has a sample data log pasted into the spreadsheet.

Hope they help?

dave w

Fuel Injected!

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Attached are some files for the '7747, the .adx needed to use the Excel spreadsheet to adjust VE. The .adx you are using does not work with the Excel spreadsheet. Copy / Paste the TunerPro RT .csv into the Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet has a sample data log pasted into the spreadsheet.

Hope they help?

dave w
    Yeah I realized I have been using the wrong .adx file. I also realized I have looking at the wrong ECM also. I have a 1228747 ECM, not a 1227747. The chip that is in the ECM right now is not the stock AKWH chip, but one that was created by Blueprint Engines to run this engine with the stock TBI system. I'm planning on installing a new EP381 fuel pump and reconditioned injectors this weekend to fix the lean condition. After that, I will be looking into installing a Moates G2 adapter and a ZIF socket to switch over to having the ability to write my own chips and really get this thing dialed in. I have been on this site pretty much non-stop since I joined yesterday reading and researching. So much information to absorb...
    Last edited by Chewy1576; 02-27-2015 at 12:24 AM.

The 1228747 information is here:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-4F

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Well I got the warm stalling issue figured out. Turns out you need to use thermal paste, not dielectric grease, when installing a new ICM. Don't believe everything you read on the internet!!! After having to put in another new unit and thermal paste, it runs very smooth. Also put in the new fuel pump, filter, and injectors last weekend. It runs like a brand new truck!

Usually thermal paste / heat sink compound is dielectric grease with aluminum oxide mixed in. I agree, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet"!

dave w