Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Documentation Posse

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    JeepsAndGuns

What do you think about the new PE titles and comments in the PE zip file? Do they help?
    Its a step in the right direction. There are still a few terms in use I dont understand. Stuff like "delta". What does that refer to?

Mabey we need to make a tuning dictionary. Add all the most common used terms and abbreavations? I think it could be very helpfull to noobs. I remember when I was starting out and how confused I was at all the terms.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

D'oh!

Like this?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-Abbreviations

But no delta... I'm no dictionary but I think Delta if EFI tuning would refer to Within a set of Paremeters. Like between 10 MPH and 50 MPH...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Here is the largest list of abbreviations I found.
    http://www.carbibles.com/automotiveabbreviations.html

It doesn't have delta thou. Delta means change. Or the adder.

Robert

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Fount this on-line:

Why do people use "delta" rather than "difference?"

Delta is based on numbers or equations that are variable, where "Difference" references static numbers that do not change.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by historystamp View Post
    Here is the largest list of abbreviations I found.
    http://www.carbibles.com/automotiveabbreviations.html

It doesn't have delta thou. Delta means change. Or the adder.

Robert
    Cool link!

I was looking for delta online too and it has so many definitions to so many applications I could not figure out how to explain it in EFI tuner terms. But look below!

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    Fount this on-line:

Why do people use "delta" rather than "difference?"

Delta is based on numbers or equations that are variable, where "Difference" references static numbers that do not change.

HTH
    So it is a differance within a set of boudries set in a paremeter? Would my explanation be correct? Seems close to what your saying?
    I think Delta if EFI tuning would refer to Within a set of Paremeters. Like between 10 MPH and 50 MPH...

-= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    The way I see it in my mind, it is the calculated difference of two measurements of the same sensor, with measurements taken at a certain time invertables. I imagine this as pressing the gas pedal. If you take a measurement of TPS voltage every tenth of a second, you could calculate how fast the pedal is moving and by how much.

"With a set of parameters", if I understand correctly, would be "Hysteresis". This would be like cooling fan settings.
    Last edited by 93V8S10; 02-05-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Good links. Good for just the plain defination of the term. Mabey when I get some time I will try to start working on a actual dictionary of these terms. Heres what I am talking about.
    Example:

MAP. (Manifold absoulte pressure) a sensor. It senses the ammount of vacume inside the intake, normally displayed in kiloPascals in fuel injection tuning.

EPROM. (Eraseable Programmable Read-only Memory) a computer chip. This is the stock installed chip in the GM ecm's and pcm's that the binary file (or "tune") of the engine is stored on.

BIN. (Binary) a term. Binary is a form of computer code formed of zeros and ones. Its is how the info is stored on the EPROM.

IAC. (Idle Air Control) basicly a stepper motor. The IAC is a "valve" of sorts that is controlled by the ecm/pcm. It has a passage that bypasses the throttle blade and allows air through. By controlling how far open or closed this valve is, the computer controlls the idle speed of the engine.

You get my drift. If nothing of this sorts is out there, I may make it a side project of mine.
    We all already know this stuff, but you have no idea how helpfull somthing like that would have been for me when I first started and knew absoultly nothing. I believe something like thst would be greatly helpfull for all newcomers.

I would also love to add longer/better/ and more simple definations just like the ones above to the parameters of the most common XDF's
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Well your hired!

How ever you want to handle it is up to you. Good start would be the link I gave with abbreviations and we can add definition to them. I'm sure we will all help so your Project Manager, grab them and start a thread and we will work on it as a team project. Once we have a good list done for most terms used in TunerPro we will submit them to be included in the TunerPro documentation! So it too will come with a Tuner dictionary!

If you download the $42-1227747-V4.xdf you will see many oparametersmeters have a notEnglishnglish we GearHeads can read about what it does or for example aparameteremeter says how to increase this to max to disable EGR. I took 5, I think $42 xdf and xcu documents and spent hours suing and checking each one to be accurate as well as notes I had made over the years to my own. It was a huge amount of work and not everyone is done. But most of the ones we use are.

I have looked at all the ones 93V8S10 wrote and most are detailed tech beyond basic function of plain GEnglish english. Not that this is a bad thing it is a good thing. But he understands it to that level. But what your saying is to add GearHead English english comment to his correexplanationlination.

This was brought up with the TunerPro documentation as well. Not to loose all high tech instructions or defining how it works at a high tech level but also include GearHead EFI Tuneexplanationxplination as well.

-= =-

Project manager...lol

I dont have as much free time as some, so this will be done in my spare time. Might take a week or so to get a good list going.
    I will probably start out by copying the list to word pad or something and do what I can there, then put it in a post and we can continue from there.

Just a little time each day to learn, we will all help and you'll be famous!

If you don't have time it's OK I don't want to push you into something that would create stress. I hate stress! But you came up with the idea, you come up with all sorts of ideas and topics!

No rush either, it's just a cool idea. Maybe we could do a wekly topic? EFI tech 101 with new subject each week? We seem to do that anyway the way our threads wander...

-= =-

Naa, I dont have any problem doing it. Wont be stressfull either.
    I will however need someone to proof read and confirm all the definations are correct.

Of course! That's the key to being a team project. Have you ever been left alone here?

-= =-

No rush either, it's just a cool idea. Maybe we could do a wekly topic? EFI tech 101 with new subject each week? We seem to do that anyway the way our threads wander...
    This would be a good way to go.

-------------

Here is another list of abbreviations.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...=2792#post2792

Robert