Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Documentation Posse

Documentation Posse

TurnerPro Rt is a great piece of software. The author spends more of his time enhancing the software than enhancing the documentation.

Much information is around the internet, but I found it hard to find. EagleMark has helped me in getting what I need out of TurnerPro RT.

I was wondering if we could gather some interested people to to work on enhancing the documentation. We form a Posse.

The first step would be to gather the existing information in one place. As much as we could without violating copyright.

I'm not a writer, but I do know how to make screen shots & add comments.

Robert

We started that and have some how to going. You have a great idea we could start helping TP with.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-5-Tips-thread

I moved your thread here, the other forums are for vendors and questions to them once they start putting in their threads...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by historystamp View Post
    TurnerPro Rt is a great piece of software. The author spends more of his time enhancing the software than enhancing the documentation.

Much information is around the internet, but I found it hard to find. EagleMark has helped me in getting what I need out of TurnerPro RT.

I was wondering if we could gather some interested people to to work on enhancing the documentation. We form a Posse.

The first step would be to gather the existing information in one place. As much as we could without violating copyright

I'm not a writer, but I do know how to make screen shots & add comments.

Robert
    Because of your thread we started this entire forum. Because of this forum Mark at TunerPro hired a professinal writer and asked several people who are heavily involved in using TunerPro, including myself and Robert Sarr here to be on the committee! The writer is using this forum, writeups, questions and answers as a starting point for new documentation of TunerPro!

-= =-

What I would really like to see more than anything, is better documentation on XDF parameters.
    Like when you hold the mouse over a parameter, you have the little box that pops up, showing what it is, and sometimes, a brief discription.
    I would like better and more discriptions, and discriptions in layman terms. Sometimes they are just worded diffrently, mabey leaning twards people who already know this stuff, but it could be made more simple for us noobs.

Worded something like this:
    Parameter: "PE delay"
    Discription: This is the ammount of time in seconds that PE is delayed from becomething active once all other PE requirements have been met.

Parameter: "max MPH for idle spark"
    Discription: Once vehicle speed gets above this value, pcm switches from idle spark table over to the main spark table.

Or something of the sorts, I am not good a wording stuff myself, but you probably get the idea of what I mean.
    Laymans terms......
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

That is the job of the EFI community who writes the XDF. Not part of the TunerPro software.

I have gone through $42 and $EE and done quite a bit of work on those with Parameter comments. Some are just never used or to hard to figure out how to write a parameter comment, so there are still blanks.

If you want we could work on those? There's a guy here who knows your 427 XDF and ADX fairly well...

Laymens terms was one of the subjects brought up about TunerPro documentation. To write them from a tuners point of view. I had told Mark at TP that I figured out how to use some of the options very well, yet read his instructions and still had no idea what he was talking about. He is a very intelligent software writer and explains things from that perspective, which he knows is an issue and why he is starting this new documentation project.

-= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Like Mark said, thats the job of the xdf writer. I have always tried to write the comments in easy to understand language because it's what I understand as well. Since I started with v100 for TP4, that has been one of the most important goals that I wanted to accomplish. I'm just now getting to the point that I understand whats going on well enough to approach that goal.

I have been working on v275 for a while now (probably won't be done until fall). If you want to write some comments, I will take a look at them; if I like them and they are accurate, I will include them in the new version.

I'm changing the format of the comments to work better with TP5 (TP4 didn't have the pop-up boxes). I'm reducing it to just location and comments. This will leave much more space for things to be written.

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Because of your thread we started this entire forum. Because of this forum Mark at TunerPro hired a professinal writer and asked several people who are heavily involved in using TunerPro, including myself and Robert Sarr here to be on the committee! The writer is using this forum, writeups, questions and answers as a starting point for new documentation of TunerPro!

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    I'm changing the format of the comments to work better with TP5 (TP4 didn't have the pop-up boxes). I'm reducing it to just location and comments. This will leave much more space for things to be written.
    Is there a size issue with the current paremeter comments? Or what is the issue? We can fix this in new versions of TP.

-= =-

I would be more than willing to help with the XDF, however, like I said, I am not very good with wording, and lots I just dont know what they do. But, I would be a good test mule. You could make a list of what parameters you have added/changed the comments on, and add the new comments, and I can tell you if I can understand what your talking about....lol
    You dont have to make the changes in the xdf, you could simply type them in here and make a list.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Is there a size issue with the current paremeter comments? Or what is the issue? We can fix this in new versions of TP.
    No, I think the space is adequate. I just though the way I was using the space was just goofy now that TunerPro has the pop-up windows. The only time I have had trouble with space is with the READ ME information.

JeepsAndGuns

What do you think about the new PE titles and comments in the PE zip file? Do they help?

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    No, I think the space is adequate. I just though the way I was using the space was just goofy now that TunerPro has the pop-up windows. The only time I have had trouble with space is with the READ ME information.
    Read me? Not sure tell me?

That's just the pop up Paremeter window when you hover or click on an XDF item. If you click View and Paremeter Comments or click the Paremeter Comment button a huge box opens up for loads of comments!

You've done a lot with the files you created. If you see anything needed in TP let me know and I will bring it up, you can also add new feature suggestions to TunerPro forum.

-= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Read me? Not sure tell me?
    At the top of the "ordered list" in my xdf files I have six READ ME. I create a Scalar and use the parameter comments for information.

That's just the pop up Paremeter window when you hover or click on an XDF item. If you click View and Paremeter Comments or click the Paremeter Comment button a huge box opens up for loads of comments!
    There the same thing. There is plenty of space.

So when you use a scaler for a read me file the Paremeter comment is to small?

-= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    A little bit, but thats not using the parameter comment section for its intended propose. When used for its intended purpose it's more than adequate.

If were talking about changing TunerPro, then if there was a way of having a xdf parameter that was just for information, that would be helpful. It would work like this: When you right click and select "Insert New XDF Parameter", you could chose between "Scalar", "Flag", "Table", "Function", and "Information". The "information parameter would just have a title and a expanded comments field.
    Last edited by 93V8S10; 02-04-2012 at 04:59 AM.

Sounds like a great idea! I will submit it in your name!

-= =-