Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Micro-mini startup Guide for Beginners

Electronic Ignition!
    No on OEM tach. I've never seen the gauges behave erratically before, so I don't appear to have experienced the dash issues you have described. Sounds like connector continuity in that case, maybe where the wiring comes onto the PC board in the traces.
    Ya, gotta love it. I remember when ECMs were first coming into vehicle management and I thought darn, when I thought I knew enough of this car stuff to just get by. Of course, if I were 20 all over now, I'd probably have a project car 25 years newer than my Olds and I'd be stuffing an LT1 into it. Instead, my car I garage and prefer to drive even to church is my `68 Olds Cutlass 350 small block, full roller cam with carb/HEI and TH400 with Vacuum Modulator for signal. I just put 800 miles an the engine/trans. It took me over 10 years to put together (10 yrs due to lack of $) And I'd never think of putting anything but 100% Olds under that hood.
    Be good and Thanx
    Patrick

I remember my first year at Lincoln Tech for automotive mechanic training was the first year they taught electronic ignition... no points?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

patrick, ive had similar issues with my 94 olds cutl 3.4 4t60e an intermitten cel which i thought was an egr issue
    my logs show a pcm b fault. all the info i have say it is either a tcc issue or could be a purge sol.
    im not having any issue other than the cel so its on the back burner to fix.

on the tcc not unlocking ,could just be a bad brake sw have you tested it with an ohm meter ?
    i think mine has 2 switches if i remember correctly its the one with the purple wires.
    you also mentioned shift issues with the trans , you might try some lubeguard
    alot of trans techs recommend it.
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...trans+additive

the 2 times ive had an abs light come on the alternator died .

ive also had issue where the rpms would stay around 1500 pulling up to a stop .
    i think my cruise control was causing it . it had been in the on position turned it off an havent had any
    more trouble.

also could try cleaning or replacing the iac valve.

an my odm an trip odm quit working also . mine was an issue with the trip reset push button had jammed up
    took it apart and it started working again .an the milage seemed to have gotten better too

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks supercoop for the thoughts. I know I should check into the brake switch/tcc release switch to see if it is functional. In fact you have given me the inspiration, I'll check it today. The deal with the tcc is that it seems tcc energizes too soon as I take off from stop, like it shifted into 2nd gear at near 5 mph instead of staying in 1st till say 15mph, depending on how much accelerator pedal I give it. A heavier pedal will cause the shift to occur later, but not by much. Also, the tcc is staying energized as I come to a stop, releasing just as the engine is about to stall and die. I was thinking if I knew what signals the ecm was responding to initiate tcc, I'd be better able to determine that the inputs to ecm were accurate and go from there. I did remove "TCC" fuse to help isolate problem, but as soon as I put it in gear, engine dies. Wasn't expecting that. I suspect bigger issues like wiring faults or ecm issues. I recently subscribed to ALLDATAdiy.com for the car for something like $28/year. I now have access to OEM technical data including various trouble shooting steps for anything a dealership might be faced with. Hoping to do some step by step thing through ALLDATAdiy.com and find issue(s).
    Anyways, thanks for your ideas.

Super Moderator
    the stall occuring when removing the TCC fuse may or may not be related to how the TCC solenoid is setup....

on the 4T60E, the PWM solenoid gives full line pressure to the TCC when no power is applied and the TCC is applied when given +12V....

i seem to remember the 4L60E having at least one of those backwards compared to the 4T60E, it would seem no power to the TCC may apply it?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    Ahhh...you may be right...an elect. diagram shows TCC fuse connected to ignition... well heck, take a look at attached. The connection may well dis-allow TCC function unless Engine is running. I made a quick assumption, gets me in trouble all the time.
    Thanks Robert!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've had a couple 4T60E cars, one was a cutlass and it would stall when coming off freeway, like trans was still locked up! Tranny shop fixed it with a GM update!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-