Thread: tbichips.com (Brian Harris). Useful or Not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for everything so far guys. I have continued my research and played with TunerproRT, and I think I can do this. I ordered my Vortec crate motor over the weekend and it should be in tomorrow. Next thing on my list is tuning equipment. I think I'm going to order the APU1 AutoProm package, a G1 adapter and S2 ZIF. Does this sound like the right combo for the 427 ECM I'm going to get?

My personal choice would the Ostrich 2.0 emulator, which eliminates the need for a chip! The emulator allows updating the .bin file, even with the engine running.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    My personal choice would the Ostrich 2.0 emulator, which eliminates the need for a chip! The emulator allows updating the .bin file, even with the engine running.

dave w
    I must be confused. So, if I buy the Ostrich 2.0, wouldn't I still need a chip burner/reader so I can drive without my laptop once I get it tuned right? According to Moates.net the "APU1 AutoProm package" is an all-in-one burner/reader, datalogger, emulator that comes with Emulator cable, ALDL cable and 2 chips. Does the Ostrich 2.0 have a better emulator function than the APU1?

I like the lower price of the Ostrich 2.0, which only emulates. If you plan to tune several vehicles, than the added cost of the APU1 makes more $en$e.

I've helped with several remote tunes. After the tuning was finished, the Ostrich 2.0 was removed and a "burned chip" was installed for the long term.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I like the lower price of the Ostrich 2.0, which only emulates. If you plan to tune several vehicles, than the added cost of the APU1 makes more $en$e.

I've helped with several remote tunes. After the tuning was finished, the Ostrich 2.0 was removed and a "burned chip" was installed for the long term.

dave w
    Ok, I think I get it now, the Ostrich 2.0 stays connected to the ECM and you can just pull it out and hook up to it when you want to change your bin. Before I order it, is that all I need? Do you solder the MP socket that comes on the cable to the board or do you have to buy an adapter? I think you just saved me a lot of money, thank you so much.

You will need a Moates.net G1 adapter board, see attached picture.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just to say it explicitly. You don't need the laptop connected to the emulator to run the engine. The bin file is loaded to the Ostrich and is read by the ECM from it, even without a laptop connected to the Ostrich 2.0.

The Emulation allows real time tuning to happen which is a great thing.

I have 4 (I think) Ostrich 2.0s now, one is installed in my car, one is in my tuning bag, and the others are back ups, or when I want to use one on my test bench, or leave one in a friend's car for a few days. I also have an AutoProm, Burn2, ALDL Xtreme, among other Moates tuning equipment.

As far as what to buy, that's a personal choice. I started with an ALDL Xtreme and Ostrich 2.0, since I already had an old programmer at the time. If you don't have anything, and you don't plan to leave the emulator in the vehicle, then an AutoProm is a great choice to have all in one capability, single cable to the laptop solution that has extra inputs to log signals that are not in the ALDL datastream. This is my go to piece when I'm tuning other people's cars. If you plan to leave the emulator in the vehicle, I would suggest the Ostrich 2.0, simply because it's a lot smaller and seems like it would handle the heat cycles and moisture better than the AutoProm, though this is really based on my dislike of leaving complex devices in such an environment. If you need to log extra signals, such as a WBO2, because you are using an ECM that is not possible or difficult to get that info through the ECM inputs, then the AutoProm makes sense here regardless.

There are people that have gone the Ostrich 2.0 and ALDL Xtreme, without a programmer and simply downloaded their BIN file or one close from a source, like gearhead-efi.com and used the emulator indefinitely. Personally I like to have the option of programming an EEPROM just in case.

What ever way you decide, you can't go wrong with Moates equipment.
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 02-25-2015 at 07:13 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.