A few years ago, I had a 93 GMC K2500 4x4 with an NV4500 5 speed that I swapped a 97 Vortec engine into. I scored a "CRUSADER" marine tbi to vortec intake with no egr on EBAY for $100. Based on Brian's recommendation, I installed an LT4 "Hot" cam that my brother had bought for his 1996 Impala SS but didnt use. Bad choice. No torque from that cam in a truck. It didnt have a lift or even bigger tires than stock. I swapped it for an "Extreme 4x4" grind recommended by Comp Cams (I forget the specs) . It made a WORLD of difference. The LT4 cam may have been fine in a high RPM mud truck, but not a street truck. The other problem I had was the spring he sold me for the stock fuel pressure regulator gave me the exact same fuel pressure as the stock spring (?) I tried the adjustable regulator he recommended, but it was a bear to get to and the head stripped off shortly after install. Frustrated, I installed the fuel pump from the donor Vortec truck and an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator to get my fuel pressure up to the recommended level.

I have no way of knowing whether any power was "left on the table" as I bought the truck with a blown engine, but it seemed to run and tow well for a 350 equipped truck. I always wondered how much power I was missing compared to going to a larger CFM EFI system, or 700 cfm carb. I sold it a few years ago and bought an 01 Silverado HD with a Duramax.

I am now working on a 1991 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon. It had a tired 200k mile TBI 305 that still ran with 0 lbs oil pressure indicated (!). I will be swapping another Vortec 350 into this car. I have a "take out" Ram Jet 350 cam, Comp beehive springs, full roller rockers, GMPP parts vortec to tbi intake ($150 Ebay score). Undecided if I will sheel out cash for headers, or run stock manifolds and full duals. I plan to get it running and see how it runs. Not look for a barnstormer, maybe tow a small pop up camper, etc. I see that the RAMJET intake that bolts to the vortec heads is a possible upgrade. I wonder if it would be worth the extra coin...