Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: tbichips.com (Brian Harris). Useful or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by DanofMostTrades View Post
    As far as the throttle body, are you talking about the Holly 670 cfm or are you talking about a bored out stock unit? What is involved and what are the advantages to upgrading the computer?
    The Holley Throttle Body is one of the 670 CFM options, the other 670 CFM Throttle Body option is the Big Block Chevy 454 Throttle Body.

The 93 ~ 95 TBI computer with Red / Blue connectors is 8192 Baud / 64K PROM. The early TBI computer is 160 Baud / 4K PROM. The 93 ~ 95 TBI computer with Red / Blue connectors is about 51.2 times faster and the PROM has 16 times more memory.

Don't tell anyone about the Red / Blue TBI computer, prices might increase. The Red / Blue TBI computer is the secret to an AWESOME TBI system!

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    It's the original 87 700R4? It could become an issue, especially since it has wear and tear on it.
    The guy I bought it from said he just had it rebuilt with a shift kit, but he also said a lot of things that turned out to be false. It does have good solid shifts and the TC looks brand new so maybe it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The Holley Throttle Body is one of the 670 CFM options, the other 670 CFM Throttle Body option is the Big Block Chevy 454 Throttle Body.

The 93 ~ 95 TBI computer with Red / Blue connectors is 8192 Baud / 64K PROM. The early TBI computer is 160 Baud / 4K PROM. The 93 ~ 95 TBI computer with Red / Blue connectors is about 51.2 times faster and the PROM has 16 times more memory.

Don't tell anyone about the Red / Blue TBI computer, prices might increase. The Red / Blue TBI computer is the secret to an AWESOME TBI system!

dave w
    Thanks Dave. Here is a computer I found on ebay: http://m.ebay.com/itm/391042139144?nav=SEARCH
    Does this look like a good deal?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    speed density tuning is a long process and shouldn't be trivialized, and anyone that says they can nail it on the first try is probably full of it.

i've seen tbichips tunes with minimum and maximum blm really tight so the trims never wander too far from 128, just so his VE tables look like they're working. that's pretty shady indeed.
    I can generally get them driveable in 1 or 2 stabs. The last Vortec head, cammed 350 TBI setup I tuned using the abysmally slow 7747 data stream I had on the money in about 6-7 burns total. It was running well after about 3 or 4 but he was not running enough fuel pressure and moved the MAP sensor vacuum port on his Holley TBI per my recommendation from the rear to the front. Its a defect that applies only to Holley TBIs that creates an artificially high map signal at idle due to the IAC. Last I spoke with him he is still running the Holley TBI @ 21 psi fuel pressure which a well known TBI tuner told him is impossible to tune for.
    Last edited by Fast355; 02-22-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanofMostTrades View Post
    Thanks Dave. Here is a computer I found on ebay: http://m.ebay.com/itm/391042139144?nav=SEARCH
    Does this look like a good deal?
    Seems a touch on the high side for price, considering it's supposed to be a 350 Memcal and you don't have to waste time searching a salvage yard to pull one from, it's still a fair price.

dave w

Thanks for everything so far guys. I have continued my research and played with TunerproRT, and I think I can do this. I ordered my Vortec crate motor over the weekend and it should be in tomorrow. Next thing on my list is tuning equipment. I think I'm going to order the APU1 AutoProm package, a G1 adapter and S2 ZIF. Does this sound like the right combo for the 427 ECM I'm going to get?

My personal choice would the Ostrich 2.0 emulator, which eliminates the need for a chip! The emulator allows updating the .bin file, even with the engine running.

dave w

My personal choice would the Ostrich 2.0 emulator, which eliminates the need for a chip! The emulator allows updating the .bin file, even with the engine running.

dave w
    I must be confused. So, if I buy the Ostrich 2.0, wouldn't I still need a chip burner/reader so I can drive without my laptop once I get it tuned right? According to Moates.net the "APU1 AutoProm package" is an all-in-one burner/reader, datalogger, emulator that comes with Emulator cable, ALDL cable and 2 chips. Does the Ostrich 2.0 have a better emulator function than the APU1?

I like the lower price of the Ostrich 2.0, which only emulates. If you plan to tune several vehicles, than the added cost of the APU1 makes more $en$e.

I've helped with several remote tunes. After the tuning was finished, the Ostrich 2.0 was removed and a "burned chip" was installed for the long term.

dave w

I like the lower price of the Ostrich 2.0, which only emulates. If you plan to tune several vehicles, than the added cost of the APU1 makes more $en$e.

I've helped with several remote tunes. After the tuning was finished, the Ostrich 2.0 was removed and a "burned chip" was installed for the long term.

dave w
    Ok, I think I get it now, the Ostrich 2.0 stays connected to the ECM and you can just pull it out and hook up to it when you want to change your bin. Before I order it, is that all I need? Do you solder the MP socket that comes on the cable to the board or do you have to buy an adapter? I think you just saved me a lot of money, thank you so much.

You will need a Moates.net G1 adapter board, see attached picture.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just to say it explicitly. You don't need the laptop connected to the emulator to run the engine. The bin file is loaded to the Ostrich and is read by the ECM from it, even without a laptop connected to the Ostrich 2.0.

The Emulation allows real time tuning to happen which is a great thing.

I have 4 (I think) Ostrich 2.0s now, one is installed in my car, one is in my tuning bag, and the others are back ups, or when I want to use one on my test bench, or leave one in a friend's car for a few days. I also have an AutoProm, Burn2, ALDL Xtreme, among other Moates tuning equipment.

As far as what to buy, that's a personal choice. I started with an ALDL Xtreme and Ostrich 2.0, since I already had an old programmer at the time. If you don't have anything, and you don't plan to leave the emulator in the vehicle, then an AutoProm is a great choice to have all in one capability, single cable to the laptop solution that has extra inputs to log signals that are not in the ALDL datastream. This is my go to piece when I'm tuning other people's cars. If you plan to leave the emulator in the vehicle, I would suggest the Ostrich 2.0, simply because it's a lot smaller and seems like it would handle the heat cycles and moisture better than the AutoProm, though this is really based on my dislike of leaving complex devices in such an environment. If you need to log extra signals, such as a WBO2, because you are using an ECM that is not possible or difficult to get that info through the ECM inputs, then the AutoProm makes sense here regardless.

There are people that have gone the Ostrich 2.0 and ALDL Xtreme, without a programmer and simply downloaded their BIN file or one close from a source, like gearhead-efi.com and used the emulator indefinitely. Personally I like to have the option of programming an EEPROM just in case.

What ever way you decide, you can't go wrong with Moates equipment.
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 02-25-2015 at 07:13 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I recently visited the TBI Chips website, I noticed he does not list TunerPro RT for tuning software. Most of the members here use TunerPro RT to tune with. TBI Chips lists WinALDL, which some of the members here consider OBSOLETE, and DataMaster TTS which is good tuning software for most 93 ~ 95 TBI systems. TunerPro RT has evolved over the years and can be used with many different EFI systems, not just TBI systems. Some new members here with novice PC computer skills have been challenged getting TunerPro RT configured. Maybe WinALDL and DataMaster TTS are easier to configure for those who have novice PC computer skills? TunerPro RT can be used as freeware, but I recommend paying the suggested $39 donation.

dave w
    Some may consider WinALDL absolete, but it is still one of the easiest things to use for many GM vehicles and has many pre-configured history tables.

Seems a touch on the high side for price, considering it's supposed to be a 350 Memcal and you don't have to waste time searching a salvage yard to pull one from, it's still a fair price.

dave w
    Making progress, ordered my Ostrich 2.0, and G1 adapter, then after work I found this at Pick N Pull today for $28, with a 6 month warranty.

That seems to be very good deal. The BJYK Memcal, based on the information available to me, is from a 1995 5.7 Liter / Automatic Trans.

dave w