Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: tbichips.com (Brian Harris). Useful or Not?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanofMostTrades View Post
    Here are a few pics from my build. I'm a CNC machinist/welder/fabricator and was able to make my own TBI to square bore adapter, fan shroud and a bunch of little parts.
    Looks good. I really like that TBI adapter you made, very nice!

Looks good. I really like that TBI adapter you made, very nice!
    Thanks, it was a fun project. I should still have the program if anybody wants to buy one.

Hey Fast355 , we're you ever able to find that bin you were talking about? I'd like to compare it to the tuning I've been doing.

Fuel Injected!
    Here are a few pics from my build. I'm a CNC machinist/welder/fabricator and was able to make my own TBI to square bore adapter, fan shroud and a bunch of little parts.
    Attachment 8908
    Attachment 8909
    Attachment 8919
    Attachment 8911
    Attachment 8912
    Attachment 8913
    Attachment 8914

Attachment 8916
    Attachment 8917
    Attachment 8918
    That is very similar to the Mercruiser 2" bore to square bore TBI to carb intake adapter I have in my garage that came on a 405 hp 502 TBI.

Fuel Injected!
    Hey Fast355 , we're you ever able to find that bin you were talking about? I'd like to compare it to the tuning I've been doing.
    Really have not had a chance to dig out the tuning laptop and look. Been building a L30 305 Vortec to swap into an Astro van this weekend.

Thanks, it was a fun project. I should still have the program if anybody wants to buy one.
    Any interest in machining an adapter for a Vortec/LS style throttle body to a Holley 4150 carb flange?
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Quote Originally Posted by brian617 View Post
    Any interest in machining an adapter for a Vortec/LS style throttle body to a Holley 4150 carb flange?
    Maybe, do you have some dimensions or a print I could go by? Where are you in AR?

Sent a PM to you.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

My starter .bin.

I decided to bore my own throttle body and it was a success. It was a little tricky making the blades, but it came out perfect. I also got a 3 wire o2 installed and am waiting on some injectors to come back from Mr. Injector. I've done some tuning but am waiting on the flow tested injectors so I have a good base to start with. I'm saving for a WBO2, any suggestions?

Carb and Points!
    A few years ago, I had a 93 GMC K2500 4x4 with an NV4500 5 speed that I swapped a 97 Vortec engine into. I scored a "CRUSADER" marine tbi to vortec intake with no egr on EBAY for $100. Based on Brian's recommendation, I installed an LT4 "Hot" cam that my brother had bought for his 1996 Impala SS but didnt use. Bad choice. No torque from that cam in a truck. It didnt have a lift or even bigger tires than stock. I swapped it for an "Extreme 4x4" grind recommended by Comp Cams (I forget the specs) . It made a WORLD of difference. The LT4 cam may have been fine in a high RPM mud truck, but not a street truck. The other problem I had was the spring he sold me for the stock fuel pressure regulator gave me the exact same fuel pressure as the stock spring (?) I tried the adjustable regulator he recommended, but it was a bear to get to and the head stripped off shortly after install. Frustrated, I installed the fuel pump from the donor Vortec truck and an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator to get my fuel pressure up to the recommended level.

I have no way of knowing whether any power was "left on the table" as I bought the truck with a blown engine, but it seemed to run and tow well for a 350 equipped truck. I always wondered how much power I was missing compared to going to a larger CFM EFI system, or 700 cfm carb. I sold it a few years ago and bought an 01 Silverado HD with a Duramax.

I am now working on a 1991 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon. It had a tired 200k mile TBI 305 that still ran with 0 lbs oil pressure indicated (!). I will be swapping another Vortec 350 into this car. I have a "take out" Ram Jet 350 cam, Comp beehive springs, full roller rockers, GMPP parts vortec to tbi intake ($150 Ebay score). Undecided if I will sheel out cash for headers, or run stock manifolds and full duals. I plan to get it running and see how it runs. Not look for a barnstormer, maybe tow a small pop up camper, etc. I see that the RAMJET intake that bolts to the vortec heads is a possible upgrade. I wonder if it would be worth the extra coin...

Fuel Injected!
    The Ramjet intake works well on Vortec 350's.

From this engine, Vortec 350 Hotcam kit, 24x Coil Near Plug kit

But swapping in an intake while using a truck torque cam doesn't make sense power/moneywise.

peace
    Hog

Carb and Points!
    I am already going to be running the ramjet cam. Basically i would be piece mealing a ramjet crate motor. Any source for an affordable ramjet retrofit kit? I suppose i would need a whole system with new ecu, as my car is tbi now...

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveshow View Post
    A few years ago, I had a 93 GMC K2500 4x4 with an NV4500 5 speed that I swapped a 97 Vortec engine into. I scored a "CRUSADER" marine tbi to vortec intake with no egr on EBAY for $100. Based on Brian's recommendation, I installed an LT4 "Hot" cam that my brother had bought for his 1996 Impala SS but didnt use. Bad choice. No torque from that cam in a truck. It didnt have a lift or even bigger tires than stock. I swapped it for an "Extreme 4x4" grind recommended by Comp Cams (I forget the specs) . It made a WORLD of difference. The LT4 cam may have been fine in a high RPM mud truck, but not a street truck. The other problem I had was the spring he sold me for the stock fuel pressure regulator gave me the exact same fuel pressure as the stock spring (?) I tried the adjustable regulator he recommended, but it was a bear to get to and the head stripped off shortly after install. Frustrated, I installed the fuel pump from the donor Vortec truck and an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator to get my fuel pressure up to the recommended level.

I have no way of knowing whether any power was "left on the table" as I bought the truck with a blown engine, but it seemed to run and tow well for a 350 equipped truck. I always wondered how much power I was missing compared to going to a larger CFM EFI system, or 700 cfm carb. I sold it a few years ago and bought an 01 Silverado HD with a Duramax.

I am now working on a 1991 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon. It had a tired 200k mile TBI 305 that still ran with 0 lbs oil pressure indicated (!). I will be swapping another Vortec 350 into this car. I have a "take out" Ram Jet 350 cam, Comp beehive springs, full roller rockers, GMPP parts vortec to tbi intake ($150 Ebay score). Undecided if I will sheel out cash for headers, or run stock manifolds and full duals. I plan to get it running and see how it runs. Not look for a barnstormer, maybe tow a small pop up camper, etc. I see that the RAMJET intake that bolts to the vortec heads is a possible upgrade. I wonder if it would be worth the extra coin...
    If the LT4 Hotcam was not making torque it had a bad tune or was timed wrong. That cam will BOIL tires off even at lower RPMs. In an engine under 10:1 it needs to be advance 3° and installed on a 106° ICL.

I have a Ramjet cam and 1.7 rockers in my Express van and even pulling my 6,000 lbs Jayco travel trailer I find it lacking above 4,000 rpm which I spend ALOT of time at. On steeper hills the 4L80E is in 2nd gear at 70 mph, spinning 4,500 rpm with my foot on the floor.

With my old G-van I had a 10.5:1 Vortec head 383 with TPI using SLP runners that had been siamese ported and tri-y headers. I ran a 232/240 @ .050 cam on a 110° LSA and towed heavy with it. It had a 4L60E and 3.08 gears. Only ran a 2,600 rpm converter in it. 70 in 3rd gear was only about 2,700 rpm.
    Last edited by Fast355; 06-12-2016 at 04:48 AM.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    If the LT4 Hotcam was not making torque it had a bad tune or was timed wrong. That cam will BOIL tires off even at lower RPMs. In an engine under 10:1 it needs to be advance 3° and installed on a 106° ICL.

I have a Ramjet cam and 1.7 rockers in my Express van and even pulling my 6,000 lbs Jayco travel trailer I find it lacking above 4,000 rpm which I spend ALOT of time at. On steeper hills the 4L80E is in 2nd gear at 70 mph, spinning 4,500 rpm with my foot on the floor.

With my old G-van I had a 10.5:1 Vortec head 383 with TPI using SLP runners that had been siamese ported and tri-y headers. I ran a 232/240 @ .050 cam on a 110° LSA and towed heavy with it. It had a 4L60E and 3.08 gears. Only ran a 2,600 rpm converter in it. 70 in 3rd gear was only about 2,700 rpm.
    Im not sure what the compression ratio of the stock vortec was, but the cam was in fact installed straight up. I did consider doing as you mentioned and advancing the cam to increase torque, but when asked,Brian only told me "it should work as is". Of course comp cams is in the business to sell cams, not give advice on how to make an existing cam work, so i guess i shouldnt be surprised that they didnt suggest advancing the existing cam.

btw, i know that a cam can be installed advanced or retarded by moving the timing gears, but how do you "alter" the centerline? This is how the cam is ground...

on a related note i dont think any cam would make a used vortec 350 with tbi in a 4x4 3/4 to. Truck with 265 70r16 all terrain tires "boil the tires"...
    Last edited by Steveshow; 06-12-2016 at 03:56 PM.