Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: tbichips.com (Brian Harris). Useful or Not?

Ok, I made some progress. I got my fuel pressure up to 22psi. I got the DA connected and emulation working. What would be the best ADX for data logging, or does it matter? I'm such a newbie at engine tuning, I just don't have the touch, feel, smell experience to know how the engine is running. What parameters have to be met for it to go into closed loop? I feel I will really be relying on O2 reading to do any tuning. I'm going to do some more research for now, If anyone has any advice or tips, I'm all ears.

Carb and Points!
    As a fellow newbie I feel your pain! Here are a couple links to some reading material that I found helpful. Some of the hardware used is outdated but the definitions and parameters appear to be relevant.
    http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-p...uide-book.html
    http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/2...bi-theory.html
    http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/3...free-tune.html

Good hear you got DA working.

Just about any any ADX will work fine. You may want to find one that has as many things defined as you can. The ADX we have on this site are usually some of the most defined you will find. In TP RT V5 you can create your own dashes to display what you want how you want.

Don't rely on the O2 to tune, use the data from it yes, but don't rely on it. Also realize that using a NBO2 is more of a switch than a sensor. The transition from high voltage (near 1 volt) to low voltage (near 0 volts) is a very steep transition that happens around stoich, and has very flat response on either side. This is why a WBO2 is usually suggested, because it can display actual AFR, not just an approximation.

You need to see, feel and hear what is going on. If the engine is surging, figure out why. Too lean? Too much timing? Just trying to load the engine below the cam operating RPM? Is the engine blowing black smoke? Too rich. Does the engine feel lazy lazy? Too lean? Too little timing? Too much timing? Too rich? Do your eyes water when your sitting in traffic, or near the tail pipes? Pull some fuel. Does it smell rich?.... etc.

Use common sense, if something doesn't feel right, figure out what it is that's making it not right. There's no one solution for any condition, sometimes you need to experiment with different things and sometimes you need to make drastic changes to isolate the cause, and then fine tune that condition. Don't be afraid to start over or go back to a better running tune if you feel you're heading in the wrong direction.

Most of all, give the engine what it wants.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Luckily so far the engine has actually ran pretty smooth. No surging, it starts on the first turn every time and today after welding up my full exhaust system, I ran it again. This time I ran it long enough to get it to operating temp and it went into closed loop a few times. It appeared to be running pretty rich, I logged some data and will post it tomorrow. I'm hoping I can get it out of the shop and put a load on the motor this weekend. I would like to get a WBO2 but I've run my truck fund completely dry. Any nickel and dime parts have to go on the credit card for awhile. Every evening I've made progress. And seeing it go into closed loop and be rich made me happy tonight.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanofMostTrades View Post
    Luckily so far the engine has actually ran pretty smooth. No surging, it starts on the first turn every time and today after welding up my full exhaust system, I ran it again. This time I ran it long enough to get it to operating temp and it went into closed loop a few times. It appeared to be running pretty rich, I logged some data and will post it tomorrow. I'm hoping I can get it out of the shop and put a load on the motor this weekend. I would like to get a WBO2 but I've run my truck fund completely dry. Any nickel and dime parts have to go on the credit card for awhile. Every evening I've made progress. And seeing it go into closed loop and be rich made me happy tonight.
    Set your injector flow rate, add the vortec timing table I posted from the Suburban I tuned last summer, and then start working on you VE tables. You can put my timing map in both the off-idle and idle timing tables and take the value from 1.15 or 1.20 of the Equivalance ratio vs spark table (they are the same) and put in your PE spark advance table.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ll=1#post50093
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-23-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Set your injector flow rate, add the vortec timing table I posted from the Suburban I tuned last summer, and then start working on you VE tables. You can put my timing map in both the off-idle and idle timing tables and take the value from 1.15 or 1.20 of the Equivalance ratio vs spark table (they are the same) and put in your PE spark advance table.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ll=1#post50093
    Do I have to manually input each number from your spark table or is there a file I can import? Not sure how all this stuff works. I'll take a closer look at it all when I get off work. I've looked at the tables on TP but haven't changed anything yet. I'm feeling accomplished just getting a data stream and loading a bin on the Ostrich. I'm using your mask: "Fast 355 $OD 700r4.xdf". It seemed appropriate for my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooker View Post
    As a fellow newbie I feel your pain! Here are a couple links to some reading material that I found helpful. Some of the hardware used is outdated but the definitions and parameters appear to be relevant.
    http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-p...uide-book.html
    http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/2...bi-theory.html
    http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/3...free-tune.html
    Thanks for the links, they do have some useful info.

Fuel Injected!
    Do I have to manually input each number from your spark table or is there a file I can import? Not sure how all this stuff works. I'll take a closer look at it all when I get off work. I've looked at the tables on TP but haven't changed anything yet. I'm feeling accomplished just getting a data stream and loading a bin on the Ostrich. I'm using your mask: "Fast 355 $OD 700r4.xdf". It seemed appropriate for my setup.
    You would have to manually input the numbers since the tables are not exactly the same in regards to RPM/MAP values and overall dimensions.

That XDF file is one I added the TCC paramaters into for running a 700r4 or 200-4r in place of a 4L60E or 4L80E.

I am taking my grandmother to dinner tonight for her birthday, but I may be able to find and post up a Vortec .bin I made a while back for another guy with Vortec heads on a TBI 350.
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-23-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    add the vortec timing table I posted from the Suburban I tuned last summer
    Where's that posted at Fast? The link when I view it doesn't show any tables other than the ones in the 1st post? Would really like to take a look at that timing table.

Thanks

You would have to manually input the numbers since the tables are not exactly the same in regards to RPM/MAP values and overall dimensions.

That XDF file is one I added the TCC paramaters into for running a 700r4 or 200-4r in place of a 4L60E or 4L80E.

I am taking my grandmother to dinner tonight for her birthday, but I may be able to find and post up a Vortec .bin I made a while back for another guy with Vortec heads on a TBI 350.
    I used your timimg tables and set the flowrate to 9.99 which should be right based on stock 61 injectors at 22psi and drove the truck, here is my log if anyone want to have a look. It started and idled pretty well and had decent power, but it did hesitate a lot when giving it much throttle. Hope to drive it again tomorrow. If you guys check out my log and see anything bad please let me know, I don't think its running super lean or anything but I'm really not sure. My base timing is set to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods View Post
    Where's that posted at Fast? The link when I view it doesn't show any tables other than the ones in the 1st post? Would really like to take a look at that timing table.

Thanks
    I believe he was referring to the picture in post #6. At least I hope that's the timing table he was referring to, its the one I used.
    Attachment 8897

Fuel Injected!
    I believe he was referring to the picture in post #6. At least I hope that's the timing table he was referring to, its the one I used.
    Attachment 8897
    Thats the one I use, works quite well for me on stock to mildly cammed vortec head engines.

Fuel Injected!
    Attachment 8897
    Thanks for reposting that table. For some reason that table does not show for me in the original thread. Weird.
    Good luck on your tuning, have fun with it.

No problem Woods, I want to help when I can. This site has been so much help, maybe someday I can start giving back, but for now I can do the small things.

Here are a few pics from my build. I'm a CNC machinist/welder/fabricator and was able to make my own TBI to square bore adapter, fan shroud and a bunch of little parts.
    Attachment 8908
    Attachment 8909
    Attachment 8919
    Attachment 8911
    Attachment 8912
    Attachment 8913
    Attachment 8914

Attachment 8916
    Attachment 8917
    Attachment 8918