Thread: Late Model BBC Vortec(?) EFI retrofit to Mark IV BBC

Fuel Injected!

Late Model BBC Vortec(?) EFI retrofit to Mark IV BBC

Besides a cam and crank signal, what else do I need for the retrofit? Is the bolt pattern on the manifold the same as on Mark IV heads? What ECU's would I be able to use? Wiring harness from the donor vehicle? I'm starting from scratch here info wise. Thanks. -Bob

There is more than one option.

There is the option of modifying a 16197427 (94 - 95) TBI computer for port fuel injection, also called MPFI conversion. The MPFI conversion is OBD1 so there is no need for the cam and crank signal. The MPFI conversion controls the 8 Vortec injectors just like the older TPI computer. This option allows using a moderately modified aftermarket TBI harness. This option allows using a 4L80E transmission. Custom PROM Chip and tuning required. Most likely a compromise option between the best option and least expensive option.

There is the option using a 1990 - 1992 Camaro 1227730 computer to operate the 8 Vortec injectors also, which is OBD1 so there is no need for a cam and crank signal. This option allows using a slightly modified aftermarket TPI harness. Custom PROM Chip and tuning required. Most likely the least expensive option.

There is the option of using a LS computer 12200411, which is OBD2 which requires both the cam and crank signal. This option requires using a highly modified (used) 1996 ~ 2000 factory 454 Vortec wiring harness. This option allows using a 4L80E transmission. Custom OBD2 computer flash and tuning also required. Most likely the best and most expensive option.

The Vortec intake fits the Mark IV heads.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    There is more than one option.........
    There is the option of using a LS computer 12200411, which is OBD2 which requires both the cam and crank signal. This option requires using a highly modified (used) 1996 ~ 2000 factory 454 Vortec wiring harness. This option allows using a 4L80E transmission. Custom OBD2 computer flash and tuning also required. Most likely the best and most expensive option.

The Vortec intake fits the Mark IV heads. dave w
    Thanks Dave - that helps a lot. I've got several of the 411 ECU's so that is probably the route I'll take. Is 1996-2000 the year range for the Vortec efi manifold only?

Quote Originally Posted by BBPanel View Post
    Is 1996-2000 the year range for the Vortec efi manifold only?
    As far as I know.

Maybe there were some 2000+ medium duty trucks (Kodiak / Topkick) that used the same efi manifold?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    As far as I know.

Maybe there were some 2000+ medium duty trucks (Kodiak / Topkick) that used the same efi manifold?

dave w
    Sorry to hop on here, but I am doing the same swap. Gen 6 (L29) fuel injection on a Mark IV with Vortec heads. 96-00 is the range. Topkicks/Kodiak's also for the 8.1 in 2001.

Quick question for you though Dave...where would you point me for info regarding using the 427 PCM? I already have 1 or 2 in a cupboard in my shop. I have a donor 99 suburban for the injection setup, but as my Mk iv lacks provisions for a crank sensor, I figured just run it batch fire with the TBI/TPI style distributor. Any help would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by thegmguy View Post
    Sorry to hop on here, but I am doing the same swap. Gen 6 (L29) fuel injection on a Mark IV with Vortec heads. 96-00 is the range. Topkicks/Kodiak's also for the 8.1 in 2001.

Quick question for you though Dave...where would you point me for info regarding using the 427 PCM? I already have 1 or 2 in a cupboard in my shop. I have a donor 99 suburban for the injection setup, but as my Mk iv lacks provisions for a crank sensor, I figured just run it batch fire with the TBI/TPI style distributor. Any help would be great.
    The attached .zip file has the "nuts & bolts" of the conversion.

More information is here: post #6 http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    Thank you, kind sir. I'll look that over. Also reading up in the thread about the 427 pcm.