Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TurnerPro logging -- How do I do that?

TurnerPro logging -- How do I do that?

I got TurnerPro RT 5.x to work on my '93 Corsica 2.2L. TurnerPro displays reasonable coolant temperature in the dashboard.

I want to do logging. I'm doing scanning only. I like to run the car and record data so that I can analyze why my car stutters before it warms up.

I see these instructions.
    1) Select a log file to record to by opening the ALDL setup window (F4) and browsing to a log file.
    2) Connect to your ECM so that you're monitoring ALDL data.
    3) Press record.

a) I cannot find the ALDL setup window!
    b) how often is the ECM data sampled? Can I change the sample time? how?

What I tired.
    acquisition > record
    acquisition > stop

TurnerPro asked me to name the file when I stopped. Is this how TurnerPro works?

This would imply the data is saved in memory. How many minutes can be record with 4gig of memory?

Thanks in advance.

Robert
    Last edited by historystamp; 12-16-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Yes, that would be a logged session. Name the file, save it where you want it, review whenever you want.

The Data Acquisition window is under preferences.

The sampled frequency is displayed in the lower data bar.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

You do have the correct acquisition file for your ECM, correct?

EDIT: Never mind. I see that you're datalogging already.

So, YES, just press record and then stop it when done. Make up a filename and then save it.

That log will automatically still be loaded, so now you can play it back immediately and stare at all the numbers and figures and not have to worry about killing someone or yourself. :D
    Last edited by FSJ Guy; 12-16-2011 at 04:24 AM.
    Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

Your doing it right, it's a little confusing because the old data recording name is still up top after you click record, when you stop the recording and name it the name at top will change to the new recording. Then just play it and watch, or export it to an csv file and get them all or just the ones you want, play with that you can do it over and over again. Then use that recording to build your monitors, dashboard and history tables.

If your cable is hooked up to the car and laptop and you connect and see data well then you are ready to record.

You will never need 4 gig! I get 20-30 minute drive on less than 30k.

Don't forget your adx file is toatally custimizable, in list view it may not show all that is there, it may show more than you want, you can add another list view and build it the way you want, add BLM history tables, Knock tables, change dashboards enable datatracing.

TunerPro is so cool that it change your xdf and adx the way you want. One thing I tell people new to it is right click on tool bar and check everything. When you get used to the buttons you never have to look through Aqusition, then this, then that. Just get used to the buttons in toolbar.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Six_Shooter, FSJ Guy, & EagleMark: Thank you
    for your quick & detailed replies.

I know how to one of these three. I guess that isn't bad!

then use that recording to build your monitors, dashboard and history tables
    We figured out how to add items to the Dashboard. I'm working on this with a friend.

What are monitors & history tables? How do I use them?

TurnerPro is a great piece of software. The documentation leaves a little bit to be desired.

Here is what I get to when I examine help on monitor:

I don't really care about fixing the help. Im showing my frustration with the state of the help.

Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by historystamp; 12-16-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Yes, the help files need to be added to and updated. Unfortunately, it's one guy that works on Tuner Pro, so they will only get updated when he has time, and not working on developing more features within the program itself. ;)

Monitors allow you line graph inputs, for comparison and to see trends, they can be helpful.

Personally I've never figured out how to use the history tables.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

What xdf and adx are you using? I will use them and start a how to thread and show you how to start and build a BLM history table then a monitor.

BLM History table is a key to adjusting the VE and get fuel right. Dave has built excell spreadsheets to do corrections on a few, if not you have to do math for each cell.

Monitors are excellent for watching for knock counts. When you see them spike you can find the exact spark cell that has to much spark or exact VE sell that is running lean on fuel...

-= =-

Thanks for you kind offer.

A167
    corsica '93 2.2L

I've read somewhere where my car doesn't have the knock sensor.

I do have the gm shop manuals for the car.

Do you want the actual file? My friend has it.

Car details:
    ecm: 16134847
    bcc: bczb
    platform: LB
    engine: LN2
    displacement: 2.2
    trans: manual

Robert

That BCC BCZB was Superseded to BFKY so that could be a problem? Superseded means GM changed something in that bin.
    I want to do logging. I'm doing scanning only. I like to run the car and record data so that I can analyze why my car stutters before it warms up.
    It could be this problem?

-= =-

Well I can't find either of those bins or even what the mask is? Seems that 16134847 has several masks, most are $5, $5B, $57 etc... but none are for your engine. Without having the mask and bin I do not know what the VE table is to build the BLM history table... but I don't think that will help solve your problem.

But I did find the A167.ads and imported it to TP and saved it as A167.adx. It looks like a complete file with all values in the list view. So if the problem is data related you should be able to see it.

I also did a quick how to on how to build monitors at:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...TunerPro-V5-RT

HTH!
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Yes, the help files need to be added to and updated. Unfortunately, it's one guy that works on Tuner Pro, so they will only get updated when he has time, and not working on developing more features within the program itself. ;)

Monitors allow you line graph inputs, for comparison and to see trends, they can be helpful.

Personally I've never figured out how to use the history tables.
    Personally I love TunerPro. But the help section is sometimes not much help! That and Mark is writing help files from his programming intellectual talent which sometimes... does not correspond with average Gearheads... I wish I could learn from him what he is saying in half that stuff so I could write it in GearHead English!

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    TunerPro is so cool that it change your xdf and adx the way you want. One thing I tell people new to it is right click on tool bar and check everything. When you get used to the buttons you never have to look through Aqusition, then this, then that. Just get used to the buttons in toolbar.
    To go along with this, I have set short cut keys to my preferences for the things I use a lot. CTRL+Z opens edit ADX, CTRL+Q is upload .bin, CTRL+W is verify with EMU contents with current .bin, and many more possible.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

That's another great built in feature...

I have a hard enough time remembering CTRL C is copy and CTRL V is paste... Now why wouldn't that be CTRL P for paste? At least in TP you could change that too!

-= =-

That BCC BCZB was Superseded to BFKY so that could be a problem? Superseded means GM changed something in that bin.
    I have a sticker on the cars ECM with a BCC of BCZB.

What does BCC stand for?

I know the ECM is the silver box with the Motorola computer. I know there is a eprom which contains car specific stuff. Without know what the BCC is, how does the BCC relate to the ECM. I'd assume the BCC is what software version is on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I have a hard enough time remembering CTRL C is copy and CTRL V is paste

Also, on the Mac keyboard has a command key that is below the x. It's what key Microsoft copied to make the windows key. On a mac it would be command + x, command + c, & command + v. I find this positioning easier to use than the control key position. I do not know how for back this key positioning goes back. Since the Mac came out with a GUI interface in 1984, I assume Microsoft copied the key usage from the Mac. I could be the Microsoft was involved in the picking since Microsoft wrote an early word processor on the Mac ( 1985).

commands try 3.png

Robert
    Last edited by historystamp; 12-16-2011 at 10:22 PM.

BCC is the chip/bin code in the ECM.

I almost got a MAC to start once... then couldn't right click anything?

-= =-