Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Engine Help

Well, this rain and snow is definitely slowing me down some, but progress is still coming. Got the rear axle in today, the bigger brakes from the suburban core axle was a good idea, but the parking brake cables aren't long enough so wound up having to cut parking brake cable and will have to make a piece to make the cable adjustable. Still have to change the vssb settings but took it for the first drive for the new gear break in and all went well. Also got the engine block back from the machine shop and new scat crank, rods, and pistons balanced and ready to go in.
    Attachment 8559Attachment 8560

I think your progress is pretty darn good. I picked up a parts truck with the 14 bolt that I want to swap into my K1500 to replace the 10 bolt. Your pattern looks great.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine07 View Post
    Well, this rain and snow is definitely slowing me down some, but progress is still coming. Got the rear axle in today, the bigger brakes from the suburban core axle was a good idea, but the parking brake cables aren't long enough so wound up having to cut parking brake cable and will have to make a piece to make the cable adjustable. Still have to change the vssb settings but took it for the first drive for the new gear break in and all went well. Also got the engine block back from the machine shop and new scat crank, rods, and pistons balanced and ready to go in.
    Attachment 8559Attachment 8560
    Its hard to tell on the pictures but the backlash might br a little on the loose side. The pattern appears to sit a little to the outside of the ring gear teeth rather than the center.

My 9.5" 14-bolt for my Express van is getting 4.56s with my 29" tall tires.
    Last edited by Fast355; 03-02-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Looks good on my end. From what I can see the squish line of paint from the edge of the pinion gear is nice and tight towards the inside of the ring gear.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Hello,
    Just to offer up yet another possibility for you to consider? "If" your not wanting a "fast truck" but a stump puller with good fuel mileage (for a full size 4x4 truck). Don't get me wrong about the "fast" part. It is quick for sure, but it's no lightning.

I have been really impressed with the 383 and stock heads (193 swirl port) along with either a TPI intake setup or a TBI intake set up. My 383 started as a TBI and I added the old TPI system with the stock long runners. I chose the Comp Cam 08-464-8 (if memory serves me) for low rpm torque and improved fuel mileage.

The final result is a really smooth, good driving, strong low rpm torque, and great hwy fuel mileage 4x4 truck. My truck has stock 3:73 gears and am running stock sized 31" tires. Seat of the pants meter gives me the feeling the TPI intake set up has more low rpm torque. But can't prove it. I know I use a lot less throttle angle going up the hills I live in here in NE Tennessee than the stock TBI 350 the truck came with from the general. And believe it or not, I use less fuel now than when the truck was stock.

Here are a couple old threads that I used as information and learning for what and how to do the modifications.
    Not difficult to do, especially with all the nice folks here that have a wealth of knowledge, and eagerness to help!

I hope this helps and not confuse you?
    I agree with Fast355, the drive side looks a touch high. The coast side looks good!

HTH
    Keith
    NE TN

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...68625+16197427

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?545-93-suburban-EFI-conversion/page2

04 Lightning Pullies n Tune CAI
    96 Formula WS-6 m6 383 LE3-Heads/GM847/N2O/ Ford 9" 4:33/Sus Work/Stickies/TunerProRT
    93 K1500 383 LT1 with Low RPM 4x4 torque cam

Thanks for the links I will definitely check that out. Yea the pattern sat slightly high but was on the tooth fully. After about 20 changes that was the best I could get out of it. Seems to drive good so far, smooth and quiet. The final backlash was .0065 and the ring gear called for .006-.009 and was tested at factory at .006

Yes, I know how tired one gets assembling, measuring...dis assembling..adjusting, re assembling, .... etc. Gets old fast..
    Nothing like setting up a ford 9". Those were meant to be set up easy..and strong too!

Good Luck! I know you will do just fine, and will end up with exactly what you want. The combinations are near endless.
    Sorry I got into this thread so late.

Keith
    NE TN
    96 Formula WS-6 m6 383 LE3-Heads/GM847/N2O/ Ford 9" 4:33/Sus Work/Stickies/TunerProRT

Another question about the vssb. My truck has a PXT in it. I have a spare one that is PXX, different number but is already swapped for 4.10 gears. Will it work in mine or will I need to pull mine and switch it?

No prob at all Keith. I appreciate all of the suggestions especially for street efi combinations. I have built several engines but they have all been full strip max power type engines or off road vehicles all with carbs. This is my first time with fuel injection in the picture so this is quite a project and really a big learning experience and I'm enjoying learning it as well as all the help I have received from everyone. I have considered going to fuel injection on my camaro but I have to much money in the carb on it and not enough money to convert, lol. I'm about to run out of money on this project but I almost have everything too so it has been pretty well budgeted I guess.

Well, got a day off work today so I now have my front ifs back in the truck. Got it all filled up with fluid and was ready to try it out. No 4x4. Lol, had to make a trip to napa for a new actuator. Got that out in and my 4x4 is back just in time for the snow tomorrow!! Changed the pins on my vssb and it's driving great now. On the engine questions, anyone here familiar with holley 670 throttle body? I have read about injector leaking issues but will regular chevy injectors fit these or do they take their own style? Could I buy it and then put flow matched big block injectors in it? Only reason I ask is it was for sale pretty cheap. Owner said it worked fine but pulled it off before he sold his truck so it has been in his garage for last few years.

I just went back through this thread, and can offer up some experience with the "hot cam". I ran that cam, actually the "hot cam kit" came with 1.6 roller rockers and LT4 springs, retainers, in my formula with the LT1 350 it came with for a little over 90K miles ( I did "clean up" the stock heads a little ).

It was a great cam for my set up back then. It does lack bottom end below 2K rpm, makes power from 2k, and starts pulling good at about 4k, then pulls hard to red line ( 5.7-6k rpms ) in my old motor.

LSA 112 on a 109 ICL and 218/228 duration, .525/.525 (1.6 rocker ratio) @ .050 if my memory serves me.

I wouldn't call it a tow motor or stump puller though. In fact, It was recommended to go with a lower differential ratio ( for manual and auto transmissions ). The stock gears my car had was 3:42. I moved to 4:10 and it made all the difference in the world.
    I know you have installed 4:10's. I don't know what size tires your running, but these trucks probably weigh almost twice what my car does.

Great cam, just imho, not a stump puller, or tow motor cam. The larger 383 will likely help the bottom end below the 2k, and maybe with a looser torque converter?

I liked that setup so well, my oldest son and I built a duplicate 355 purpose built for that exact cam in his LT1 Z28. It makes about 425 hp when set up properly, mild ported stock LT1 head castings (vortec by design but aluminum and no modifications necessary to run .525 lift springs). But they won't run on any motor but the LT1 without serious modifications (dry intake on the reverse flow coolant LT1).

HTH
    Keith
    NE TN

I had questioned how well the 383 would tame down the cam but looking back at some dyno tests that were done with one the dynos didn't show any numbers below 2k rpm but the torque was already at 400 ft lbs. so it looks like the 383 seems to use it fairly well. Most of the engines I have built in the past the 383 always seemed to calm the cam down about 4-500 rpm sooner than a 350 with the same setup but I also still have to rebuild my transmission too because I think this one will be short lived once it meets the new engine. I was planning on putting in a 2k stall when I rebuild my trans. The heaviest thing this truck will pull is my camaro to the track which weighs 3800 lbs including the trailer, car is only 2700 and if it doesn't like pulling it then I have the 95 ram that will handle that just fine. As long as I can get the tuning lined out I don't think it will have a prob pulling that.

Fuel Injected!
    Some people like aftermarket converters, but if you have a 700r4/4L60E I really like the way the 95+ 4.3 S10 converter works behind a nicely setup small block. I have used it in numerous 350 builds and it stalls about 2,700 rpm behind a mildly cammed 350 yet drives around town like a stock truck.

The Hotcam specs are 112 LSA and a 3* advanced on a 109* ICL. In a truck with a stock torque converter I would advance that to a 105* ICL for 7* total advance. It will bring the power curve down 2-300 rpm without sacrificing much HP. If you have a ~2,500 rpm converter I would run it at 107* ICL for more midrange and top-end HP.

I am really considering swapping my L31 to coil per cylinder in the near future and will likely be changing my Comp Cams ground 215/220 @ .050 on a 114* LSA for a Crane ground GM 846 cam with 222/230 @ .050 on a 112*, 4* advanced. I will be running 4.56s with ~30" tall tires and the stock B82 4L80E converter that stalls about 2,500 rpm in my current setup.
    Last edited by Fast355; 03-04-2015 at 08:13 PM.

That sounds like a sweet build fast. I had the thought of the s10 converter but my worry was if it would be strong enough or not to hold up behind the torque the engine would be pushing in the truck being as heavy as it is. Any thoughts on this as I have never tried it? Also back trying to line up cylinder heads again...the bow tie heads are no longer in production although everyone still has them listed I guess they were recently discontinued. I had promaxx email me their flow rates on some of their aluminum heads and they look pretty promising at 28" water. Never used promaxx before but looks like what reviews I can find from people that actually have them they aren't having any issues. Lot of mixed reviews but all of the bad ones I found those guys didn't own them just hearsay I guess. Their 180cc appears to outflow their 185 and close to their 190 but I believe if I read right it is mildly ported.

The 406 I mentioned on page 2 runs the Etec 170 heads and pulls strong past 5,500 rpm. Granted it's running a Holley Stealthram intake. If you're going to set shift points under 5,500 rpm in your 383 a good 170cc head will work fine. Enginequest manufactures a 170cc Vortec copy that gets pretty good reviews. It's also available with all three SB chevy intake bolt patterns.