Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wideband question

Wideband question

So reading about the wideband o2's and thinking about getting one to help with better tuning. But I have a couple questions I cant really find the answer to.
    If I want to wire it up to where it connects to that egr pintle position pin on my 7427, and then it will display on my datalog screen, do I still need a stand alone wideband controller?
    Do I connect the sensor output wire from the wideband directly to the pcm, or do I have to buy one of those expensive WB contollers?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

AFAIK, you will need the wideband controller, too. Around $200 from Innovate, I think, including the WB02 sensor. You hook up the 5V output to the EGR pintle input and the "regular" narrowband output goes to your OEM O2 input.

The ECM won't do anything with the wideband data, but it will be there in your datastream. If you have an AutoProm, you can hook the wideband output to one of the AutoProm's inputs and edit your acquisition file to datalog from the AutoProm. There's really no difference between the two. And if you don't have an AutoProm, it's irrelevant anyway.
    Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

Fuel Injected!
    Yes all WB sensors need a controller.

I don't suggest substituting WB simulated NB signal, for actual NB mounted close to the head, results can be less than satisfactory.

The EBL flash learns OL with a wideband...pretty sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning-jr View Post
    Yes all WB sensors need a controller.
    ^^^ This.

The WB controller does a lot, including controlling the sensor heater, which is very important.

Take a look at the SLC offerings from 14point7.com, inexpensive, work great and loads of features.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Dang, why cant something cool be cheap for once. I was hoping for something as simple as it was to wire up my 4 wire sensor. Power and ground for heater, ground for sensor, and then output for the pcm.

I would be keeping the one I have right now, not wanting to replace it. I would simply install the WB in the other down pipe..
    I checked out the site you mentioned. So are there any controllers out there that do nothing but supply a output for hooking up to the pcm for datalogging?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Well this is what I got awhile ago and works well.
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

But if I had known I think I would have got this:
    http://www.dynamicefi.com/TT-1.php

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    yeah forget simming the narrowband from the innovate controller though, as stated, results are underwhelming.

I know it seems cool, but another bung and plug is like 25 bucks installed and you already have a working narrowband thats happy with everything, right? Why bother cutting wires and dealing with bs CEL illumination? It's just a hassle.

Electronic Ignition!
    and that dynamic efi link looks a whole lot tidier than the mess my lc1 or lm1 whatever is, all set up for non permanent installations... that looks pretty nice and the screenshots look like almost all the features of the innovate are covered...

Quote Originally Posted by ODDDOYLERULES View Post
    and that dynamic efi link looks a whole lot tidier than the mess my lc1 or lm1 whatever is, all set up for non permanent installations... that looks pretty nice and the screenshots look like almost all the features of the innovate are covered...
    Yup! And RBob who is the owner of Dynamic EFI is WAY better at tech support than what I had to deal with at Innovate... I bought the LC-1 from Moates, I like to support them, with their O-Meter. Works good... WAY to much wiring to be done!!! And wires from LC-1 are not long enough for anything... But like I said I think I would have gone with the Dynamic version... I know Six Shooter likes what he has from 14point7to1... not sure what other options there are?

-= =-

One cool thing I did with the LC-1 and O-Meter was combine the Free Air button into the O-Meter.

But then attached some velcro to AutoProm to mount it. I can seprate the AutoProm and Wideband but here's all the wiring needed to make the 2 work together.

Wired this way I can watch AFR on O-Meter, record AFR data through AutoProm. Three wires to hook up, power, ground and simulated O2 while I place the wideband in exisiting O2 bung... simulated O2 is not that great like everyone says but does work. Best to force open loop tune with this setup...

-= =-

Sorry, I was replying on my iPhone earlier and it's not the easiest to copy and paste URLs and such, on it.

The SLC_OEM, is as basic of a controller as you're going to find. WBO2 controller, linear WB output, sim NB output and nothing else.

You can get an "Eval pack" with a sensor for $125.

I'm planning to replace my LC-1 in my Datsun with an SLC-OEM eval pack.

http://14point7.com/SLC-OEM.php
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

That's pretty small and cheap! You going to try and install it in the ECM?

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That's pretty small and cheap! You going to try and install it in the ECM?
    Probably not. It would be more difficult to swap in an ECM if such a need arose. Probably use a small experimenter's box attached to the harness near the ECM.

Wow mark, that is a lot of wiring just for a wideband!! I checked out the link you posted, then looked at their other stuff. For the same price as the one you have, they also have this:
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php
    Having the bling guage almost eleminates the need or desire to put it into the datastream, but it appears to have a output so it could be attached to the pcm and put into the datastream also? That would be handy for datalogging/recording and seeing when and at what points you are rich/lean. But still $200 is a lot of coin. The dymanic one seems like a good deal, but for $10 more, I think I would get that one with the guage.

Six, that one you posted is about what I am looking for. A controller, and nothing else, no other features I dont want/need. Price seems decent. But is it just a bare board with no box or anything to put it in?

That is new and was not available when I got mine. Wiring is supposed to be simple too! And can datalog from it, so I may have a new favorite...

-= =-