Thread: Newbie Question. Need to be sure I am ordering right stuff :) Help

Electronic Ignition!

Newbie Question. Need to be sure I am ordering right stuff :) Help

Hello.

I have a 1995 Chev 2500 Truck with a 16197427 ECU running BJXK Bin on a 5.0L 4x4 4l60e. Stock.
    I have already purchased a USB data logger and I have it working with Datamaster. Soon hopefully with TunerPro.

I purchased a Moates Burn2 in and a few chips. Since I am unable to find a Bin, I planned on using the Burn2 to read my stock chip, Hopefully make adjustments to fix my speedo (oversized tires) and burn a stock chip back. (start of my tweaking )

I have been reading as much as i can and I was reading some conflicting info. I was seeing where this ECU needed a Memcal adapter so I freaked out because I didn't want to waste another weekend not starting this :) I tore out my ECU and popped the Lid. See attached photos as I don't see a memcal. I unlatched the Rom Module and found a 28pin chip like I would expect and another strange circuit-board chip smashed next to it. What is the other chip? do I need to worry about it for anything programming wise? and is there a simple ZIFF Socket that I can put in this board without soldering anything or messing with that other chip to make eprom swaps easy?

Am I missing something? Do I need any kind of adapters to make this all work or is it smooth like it seems. Pop that blue plastic cover off, swap the eprom and re-install?

Thanks for your help!
    Brad

You have a MEMCAL.

The easiest way is to use a MEMCAL adapter. The EEPROM is not easy to remove from the MEMCAL, keeping it intact and useable for a read. It can be done, it's just not easy. You can add a ZIF socket to the MEMCAL adapter.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Can you point me to a link to the correct adapter I should purchase. The only ones I have seen so far are way too small for the large socket on the ecu. Thanks.

Here is the adapter you need for the 16197427. http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adap...-etc-p-32.html
    Attachment 8435

Electronic Ignition!
    I am an idiot. I see how that works. I plugs into a portion of the large plug on the ECU and the Memcal plugs into it and the rest of the plug at the same time.. derp.. thats why it didn't make sense to me.

Time to order one :)

Thanks

Electronic Ignition!
    Nevermind.. I caught my ignorance and see the pins on the bottom of the Memcal adapter. Ok. Completely make sense now. Ordering one..

Thanks!
    Last edited by MobileMedic; 01-19-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Hope these pictures help. The picture shows an optional ZIF socket, which makes changing (removing / replacing) the PROM very easy.

Do Not Install the Memcal INCORRECTLY!!!

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Electronic Ignition!
    makes complete sense now. I didn't see that large plug on the bottom that went into the ECU in place of the module, so it wasn't making perfect sense. all they did was interrupt the pins for the Eprom and make sure that their adapter got those pins and then they redirected the rest of them to the remainder of the plug on the Memcal for the rest of the components. I ordered that adapter as well as a memcal to Eprom reader adapter so I do not need to remove that eprom until I have a new one fully ready for permanent install. Now the fun part is going to be figuring out the bin that is currently in my truck. Can't seem to find it anywhere nor any other files that go with TunerPro for it. BJXK is the version I am trying to find. I'll dump my chip when my Burn2 arrives but not sure what I will do about the defination files for TunerPro, Guess thats all part of the adventure. I would end up with a TBI Truck that has a 5.0L instead of a standard 5.7 I feel that must change in the upcoming months :)