Thread: Hello

Carb and Points!

Hello

I have started kinda-sorta restoring a 1952 IH L-122 pickup with an 265 CID I-6. I have a spare engine that I would start rebuilding to eventually put into the truck. I am looking at putting a supercharger on this, and EFI would seem like a logical thing to do as well.

Attachment 8413

The truck looks good for being more than 60 years old!

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The truck looks good for being more than 60 years old!dave w
    Thank You! It was last licensed in about 76, and has been stored inside for the last 18 years. It is not rusted out, but boy does it have a lot of cracks that have been welded! The bed is beat to crap as well, but none of that affects how fun it is to drive.

If I owned the 1952 IH pickup pictured, I might not use the original engine. I'm not trying to steer you into using a different engine. I'm sharing a thought that I would consider the pro's / con's to using a more modern engine and maybe a more modern transmission. I wonder ... what about a Scout II Diesel or a 232 Inline 6 cylinder?

dave w

Fuel Injected! DOCBAWRENCHTURNER's Avatar
    I'm not extremely familiar with IH engines, is the supercharger a custom application, of is there a kit or factory application?

I'm not familiar with IH engines either. I know a few general things about IH engines. An IH engine can be expensive to rebuild, the older the IH engine the more expensive to rebuild? IH engines in general do not have an enormous amount of aftermarket parts support, including performance parts. I am thinking a supercharger kit would have to be custom built.
    Last edited by dave w; 01-15-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Fuel Injected! DOCBAWRENCHTURNER's Avatar
    Dave, I think you're right. Are those engines pressure oiled? Babbit Rods? a lot of unknown variables there. Might be better to just use a 345, it's been proven to run GM Tbi I think as well.

Carb and Points!
    I have a spare engine that I am thinking of rebuilding to drop in, or putting it on the current engine, and see what happens:) I had considered a Detroit 2, 3, or 4 cylinder, as well as a 4 or 6 cyl Cummins. All would be fun for MUCH different reasons. I think that the IH engines from back then were over-engineered, and could take quite a bit of abuse. I am also trying to do the whole project on the supercheap side.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCBAWRENCHTURNER View Post
    Dave, I think you're right. Are those engines pressure oiled? Babbit Rods? a lot of unknown variables there. Might be better to just use a 345, it's been proven to run GM Tbi I think as well.
    The engines are pressured lubed. They are quite similar to the IH tractor engines, which are tough as hell. Pretty much everything would need to be custom. You have to have a lot of patience when searching for early IH parts. I spent three weeks tracking down the correct front seal - it is a felt seal, and I got the last one this particular fella had. I had to rebuild my front motor mount, and I used a 3M adhesive as the cushioning material. Patience and creativity come in handy. I did install electronic ignition, but will probably have to send the distributor in to have a better system installed, as my advance is mechanical yet.