Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knock count issues?

Knock count issues?

First off hello everyone...I am new here and wanted to say hello to all and I am glad to be here!! I have followed the forum doing some reading for a while now and there is tons of great information on here. I do have a question also as I have done some searching and not found anything matching my exact situation. I am new to datalogging and tuning but have figured out a ton by reading posts here and am trying hard to learn. I have gotten all the equipment I needed from moates to burn chips as well as aldl cable and am using tunerpro rt. Now here is the issue. My truck is a 95 Z71 K1500 with a 7427 ECM running BJYK. I am using $0D adx and xdf and have downloaded the BJYK bin. The previous owner had put true duals, manifold back on the truck which I am going to change in the next couple weeks as I am rebuilding the entire truck and don't like the sound but the o2 sensor is only in the passenger pipe. My first datalogs revealed the truck running lean all around the board to my 55 mph cruise being 145 to 150 blm. Now I have adjusted fuel and have the majority of the board staying 127-129 even under heavy acceleration with the exception of in drive idle at stand still is 135. The issue is I have stock spark table still as I am scared to touch it. My knock count on $OD is showing like 255 at idle and driving down the road it reads like 7000. Any ideas what can cause this? It has been like this since I owned the truck and the timing is at 0 degrees with the wire unplugged. Maybe faulty knock sensor? But I have no codes and hear no audible knock. Engine sounds smooth also. 185k miles but sounds like new. Maybe bad definition file? I am at a loss. Thanks in advance guys.

Does the data log show knock retard?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Yes in a few spots mainly under medium to heavy acceleration up to 2 degrees

It doesn't keep knock retard engaged though it is more like just a second or two then it's gone

Fuel Injected!
    Possibly an over torqued knock sensor? Seems that the 7427 ECM is very prone to knock count issues like that from what I had read. For me it turned out I had overtightened the knock sensor. Had read not to over tighten, but specs are only 15 ft lbs. Cured my excessive knock counts.

HTH

Thanks for that. I read that somewhere on here earlier and was curious. The knock sensor is one of the few things that haven't been replaced on the engine this far so I am thinking about picking up a new one and making sure I don't get it to tight putting it in. I will give that a try tomorrow and post back. Thanks

Ok guys, put in a new knock sensor this morning and was sure not to over tighten. Problem still exists. Seems as though the only noticeable amount of knock being picked up is at cruise. My cruise is roughly 55-60 mph and 1500-1600 rpm. It is steady picking up at this spot when the tcc is locked up. Steady spark retard of about .7-3.5 depending how much load the engine is under while tcc lockup. Any ideas?? I was first scared of timing chain slack or rocker noise as many miles as it has but only being mainly in that range makes me think otherwise. I'm stumped.

Is the engine stock internally?
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

During a steady cruise when you are seeing knock counts rise and spark retarded, try very lightly putting your left foot on the brake pedal just enough to unlock the TCC and see what happens?
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

The engine is entirely stock at this time other than the dual pipes. And it just have it a shot. On acceleration it starts getting some knock counts around 2000 rpm but didn't notice any retard maybe flashed on so fast you could barely see it at like .7 once. During steady cruise with converter engaged knock count rose steadily and retard is constant .7-3. Holding brake just enough to unlock converter count definitely slows and most of the time retard goes to zero a few times it still bounced back to .7 . This was about a 4 mile drive and knock count was 3558.

Oh and that second line is supposed to say I just gave it a shot, lol. Guess the spellcheck got me. Confused myself when I reread it.

by true duals, you must mean no H or X pipe?

I can see where around 2000 rpm that may cause a bit of resonance and knock, especially if it has flowdisasters on it. Loose Tq converter bolt can cause knock also, as can excess carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. Have you ever seafoamed it?
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Yes it has true duals manifold back with some kind of loud muffler. I think that's possibly part of it but that was on there when I bought the truck bout 6 months ago. I hate the exhaust issue, lol. I just ordered a new y piece and am going to run it right next week as soon as that comes in with a new o2 sensor. I did have the intake manifold off the weekend I bought it as it had an intake manifold leak so I got that sealed up and I did notice the heads seemed to have a fair amount of build up so I imagine the combustion chambers do as well. I have never sea foamed it but that might be a good idea. I did clean all of the carbon out of the intake and plugged egr and deleted in computer.

I also did tune up a while back and while changing spark plugs I only managed to change 7 out of 8. The number 7 plug would only turn about 1/4 turn and could not get it to come on out. I was guessing excess carbon buildup on inside of spark plug at threads but I turned it enough I was getting scared of breaking it off in cylinder so until I get around to rebuilding the engine hopefully this summer it is stuck there I guess. It is my daily driver so I figured it better that way for now.

ahhhhhh, now we're getting somewhere. I'd seafoam that bitch a couple times, suck the whole can up into the manifold with one of the vacuum ports on the front of the TB, let it sit 15-30 minutes, then take it for a spin and hope no one calls the fire department on you. LOL. If it's bad (sounds like it is) might be a good idea to do it again. You MUST change the oil after you finish the seafoam process though, so I always have the oil change stuff on hand when I do it.