Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat

Fuel Injected! DOCBAWRENCHTURNER's Avatar

Boat

Has anyone every converted a carbureted boat to TBI? I have a 1983 VIP with a 2.5 Mercruiser engine. These seem to be based on a GM 2.5, I was thinking a trip to the junkyard might yield a single injector throttle body, harness, etc. Maybe control it with the 7427? Use an inline electric fuel pump and block off the mechanical. I saw where someone manufactures a kit similar to this, so it should be possible.

Nevermind

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...er-tbi-project

The search function is my friend.......
    Last edited by DOCBAWRENCHTURNER; 01-08-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm about to swap my Camaro from 7165 MAF to 7730 SD and was seriously thinking about putting the MAF setup on my "78 Glastron Carlson CVX18. It already has a 383 roller engine running a 750 Holley. Attachment 8391

That boat looks bad to the freakin bone! I'm jealous. I bought our boat barely running last season, the previous owner had every valve adjusted too tight. Motor actually needs ripped apart, but the tow vehicle needs to be done first, towing my boat with our S10 blazer is not something I want to do regularly.

billygraves
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCBAWRENCHTURNER View Post
    Has anyone every converted a carbureted boat to TBI? I have a 1983 VIP with a 2.5 Mercruiser engine. These seem to be based on a GM 2.5, I was thinking a trip to the junkyard might yield a single injector throttle body, harness, etc. Maybe control it with the 7427? Use an inline electric fuel pump and block off the mechanical. I saw where someone manufactures a kit similar to this, so it should be possible.

The search function is my friend.......
    If you choose a vehicle's 2.5L system, do not get the TBI with a hall effects sensor. If you take the dist cap off, you will see 4 blades that will pass through the pick-up. They have a hi failure rate. The distributors are known to corrode at the base. The Alum base to the iron block. The result will be a no start. Take it off, wire wheel all the crap off, put a new o-ring on, and use silicone grease on the block and dist base. Merc used the Delco dist in the later boat engines. The MPG and Power gain was noted by them.

Administrator
    If there's room for a trigger wheel on the crank, switching to DIS would be an improvement.

What would the best was to go DIS on a project like that? Isn't there a ford application that used something similar to it?

billygraves

GM 2.5L DIS

Quote Originally Posted by DOCBAWRENCHTURNER View Post
    What would the best was to go DIS on a project like that? Isn't there a ford application that used something similar to it?
    GM had a 2.5L DIS on the Grand Am. It used the 700 model TBI. If you use this, many say the data you read is not ever correct. In 89 or 90, GM issued a bulletin for spark knock and hot fuel handling that had you update the Mem-cal. They told the tech to put a sticker on the car. It stated when using a scan tool, as Tech-1, to enter 1989 as the model year. They put 89 back to 87 and 88 but the 87 and 88 data streams were different. Be aware. Some had you put in a hi pres fuel pump. The GM parts should catch this for you. DIS was placed in the black near the same place as the old dist. Nice set up. The wires were to long. I'd use some good 8.8mm msd.

Administrator
    The OEM applications with DIS put the crank trigger wheel inside the block. In order to use an OEM system you'd need to change the crank and block. It's possible to build a bolt on trigger wheel for the front of the crank and use the ecm from a distributor based system. Simple change to three variables in memcal and DIS works with non Hall effect distributor calibrations. Here's a company that makes a DIS retrofit kit for postal vehicles with TBI: http://www.jasperinnovativesolutions.com

Page 7 of their catalog shows the kit:
    http://www.jasperinnovativesolutions...ts_catalog.pdf

Then you'd need a fuel pump, throttle body, ecm, sensors, and wiring harness. The 7427 is probably the best choice for controlling the engine due to water resistance but it's possible to put any ecm in a sealed box.

2.5 TBI engines were available in a number of different vehicles and in a couple of different flavors, as mentioned above. Does your engine use the cross flow head or the older head, with intake and exhaust on the same side?

My boat engine has exhaust and intake on the same side, I am under the impression that it is a 1983 model as is the rest of the boat, although I may be wrong. I have been looking for a place to purchase that DIS kit you posted, do I need to speak with a distributor?

Administrator
    I believe you can buy directly from them. They supply parts to the post office... maybe you can order one through them? ;)
    You know, I wasn't trying to set this up (really!) but we can buy from Jasper Engines and Transmissions. Maybe they'll let me buy the DIS kit? lmk if you're interested and I'll check it out.

I'm very budget minded, and this isn't my primary project. But I am VERY interested in what something like this would go for.

Administrator
    Understand about the budget. I can get the kit. It's under $300 with shipping. Looking at all the included parts and knowing what it takes to make the wheel I don't think that's too bad.

You're right that's not too bad, on the other hand I paid $400 for the boat..... I looked at the Ford EDIS as well, but it seems to be primarily controlled by Megasquirt and I would rather keep a GM PCM, I'm still looking at an HEI type option as well

Administrator
    You can make your own DIS system. I did for my Toyota.
    http://home.metrocast.net/~shannen/yota/

Sir, You speak my language. so it's a 1993 cavalier system correct?