Thread: 86 Caprice Landau TPI Project

Carb and Points!

86 Caprice Landau TPI Project

First things first, Happy New Year to all on here. I have been researching this site and a few others looking for information on swapping a 1991 L98 5.7 into my daily driver 86 Caprice 2 DR. A little background on the car. The wife and I bought it 2 years ago from an estate with only 9,600 actual miles on it. The original owner passed away in 1995 and the car was parked in a garage until I bought it. It is in great rust free condition and only needs a paint job because the factory lacquer paint is starting to crack. Since we bought it we have put over 15,000 additional miles on it traveling to Texas and many other states. I have the engine from a previous project that did not get finished. The engine came from a wrecked Camaro with only 40,000 miles when I bought it. I added the Vortec heads, SDPC Vortec intake, Comp Cams 08-300-8 hydraulic roller cam. I think it should be a very responsive and fuel efficient engine when it is tuned properly, hence the reason I am on this site looking for help. I have bought a conversion wire harness that will plug into the factory harness and have had a chip burned that should get it started. I will be using a 7730 ECM. I do not really want to get into chip burning so I would like to find a tuner on this site that I can hire to help me. I live in northwest Ohio if there is any one close I can trailer the car to you or I have TunerPro installed on my laptop and can data log. Any takers out there. As soon as I start the swap I will post progress pictures. I am really amazed at how helpful everyone on this site is to new members.
    Tom

Fuel Injected!
    These cars came fuel injected (TBI) in 89 and 90. I believe the 4.3L came with TBI as far back as 86 or 87. Anyway, the harnesses are very similar TBI vs TPI I would recommend finding a TBI caprice and taking the dash and engine compartment wiring. This should make your conversion VERY easy as well as installing ECU in factory location (passenger kick panel). You will also get an ALDL port, SES light and all that good stuff. I personally have a 1988 Caprice that came factory with a 4.3L V6. A rebuilt 5.7L TBI has been put in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by TPI 86 Caprice Landau View Post
    First things first, Happy New Year to all on here. I have been researching this site and a few others looking for information on swapping a 1991 L98 5.7 into my daily driver 86 Caprice 2 DR. A little background on the car. The wife and I bought it 2 years ago from an estate with only 9,600 actual miles on it. The original owner passed away in 1995 and the car was parked in a garage until I bought it. It is in great rust free condition and only needs a paint job because the factory lacquer paint is starting to crack. Since we bought it we have put over 15,000 additional miles on it traveling to Texas and many other states. I have the engine from a previous project that did not get finished. The engine came from a wrecked Camaro with only 40,000 miles when I bought it. I added the Vortec heads, SDPC Vortec intake, Comp Cams 08-300-8 hydraulic roller cam. I think it should be a very responsive and fuel efficient engine when it is tuned properly, hence the reason I am on this site looking for help. I have bought a conversion wire harness that will plug into the factory harness and have had a chip burned that should get it started. I will be using a 7730 ECM. I do not really want to get into chip burning so I would like to find a tuner on this site that I can hire to help me. I live in northwest Ohio if there is any one close I can trailer the car to you or I have TunerPro installed on my laptop and can data log. Any takers out there. As soon as I start the swap I will post progress pictures. I am really amazed at how helpful everyone on this site is to new members.
    Tom

The option of a Moates.net Ostrich 2.0 might worth looking into? http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the...eed-p-169.html The Ostrich 2.0 eliminates the need to burn chips. The Ostrich 2.0 connects with TunerPro RT so a new "Chip File" is simply "uploaded" into the Ostrich 2.0.

I've helped several vehicle owners tune using the Ostrich 2.0, which allows tuning to be completed at the speed of an email attachment. The time it takes to get a chip via USPS mail can be frustrating.

I've attached a pic of Ostrich 2.0 installed into an OBD1 computer (similar to a 1227730) using a Moates.net G1 adapter.

Most everyone I've helped with an Ostrich 2.0 setup, gained the confidence / experience to do some tuning changes on their own.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    These cars came fuel injected (TBI) in 89 and 90. I believe the 4.3L came with TBI as far back as 86 or 87. Anyway, the harnesses are very similar TBI vs TPI I would recommend finding a TBI caprice and taking the dash and engine compartment wiring. This should make your conversion VERY easy as well as installing ECU in factory location (passenger kick panel). You will also get an ALDL port, SES light and all that good stuff. I personally have a 1988 Caprice that came factory with a 4.3L V6. A rebuilt 5.7L TBI has been put in its place.
    Thanks for the reply. I already have a conversion harness that I bought that will plug into the factory harness in the Caprice. The car currently is running a computer controlled carb so it has the ALDL port and a SES light with a computer in the left kick panel, I just need to remove the factory computer and its harness and plug the replacement harness in. I just received a replacement fuel tank from a fuel injected car and a new sending unit for the in tank pump. I also got a TPI pump for a Camaro to install. I only need a few mor parts and I can begin the swap.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

The option of a Moates.net Ostrich 2.0 might worth looking into? http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the...eed-p-169.html The Ostrich 2.0 eliminates the need to burn chips. The Ostrich 2.0 connects with TunerPro RT so a new "Chip File" is simply "uploaded" into the Ostrich 2.0.

I've helped several vehicle owners tune using the Ostrich 2.0, which allows tuning to be completed at the speed of an email attachment. The time it takes to get a chip via USPS mail can be frustrating.

I've attached a pic of Ostrich 2.0 installed into an OBD1 computer (similar to a 1227730) using a Moates.net G1 adapter.

Most everyone I've helped with an Ostrich 2.0 setup, gained the confidence / experience to do some tuning changes on their own.

dave w
    Thanks Dave. I really did not want to get into chip burning myself, but if I can hire someone on the site for some help and guidance I may try it. I have considered the EBL by Dynamic EFI. It looks like it may be easier to use for a novice to start with. It seems to have some great features. What are your thoughts? I am assuming that TunerPro datalogs form the EBL could be tuned by e-mail also. I want to keep all emissions functional on this vehicle as I think with proper tuning they will not impede performance or economy. I have all of the emissions equipment from the Camaro including the Air pump, charcoal canister and Y pipe and Cats. As I stated this car will be a good weather daily driver and road trip car. I want this car to look like what GM should have built back in the 80's. I put a set of 15X8 full polished American Torque Thrust II wheels and 255R60X15 and 275R60X15 tires on it. With the Dark Red Metallic Exterior and Interior it is a good looking ride. One change I would like to make is a set of buckets that look like they belong in it and a console and floor shift. I have added power mirrors from the same Camaro and auto on headlights. Down the road I may attempt to add auto temp air conditioning controls.
    Tom

Thanks Dave. I really did not want to get into chip burning myself, but if I can hire someone on the site for some help and guidance I may try it. I have considered the EBL by Dynamic EFI. It looks like it may be easier to use for a novice to start with. It seems to have some great features. What are your thoughts? I am assuming that TunerPro datalogs form the EBL could be tuned by e-mail also. I want to keep all emissions functional on this vehicle as I think with proper tuning they will not impede performance or economy. I have all of the emissions equipment from the Camaro including the Air pump, charcoal canister and Y pipe and Cats. As I stated this car will be a good weather daily driver and road trip car. I want this car to look like what GM should have built back in the 80's. I put a set of 15X8 full polished American Torque Thrust II wheels and 255R60X15 and 275R60X15 tires on it. With the Dark Red Metallic Exterior and Interior it is a good looking ride. One change I would like to make is a set of buckets that look like they belong in it and a console and floor shift. I have added power mirrors from the same Camaro and auto on headlights. Down the road I may attempt to add auto temp air conditioning controls.
    Tom
    Hi Tom,
    EBL files can be attached to emails for tuning. EBL has an auto tuning feature, which is very helpful to a novice. Both EBL and the Ostrich 2.0 eliminate the need for a chip or chip burning equipment. Both EBL and the Ostrich 2.0 use a binary file or .bin file, not a chip. Both EBL and the Ostrich 2.0 will use TunerPro RT to "Upload" the .bin file, similar to how 1996 and newer OBDII computers are flashed.

Speaking from experience, someone wanting help with the tuning process, learning how to "Upload" a .bin file is the best option. See attached screen shots.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Tom
    Excellent, I forgot you guys in the south ran CCC stuff from 1980 onwards. Most GM cars and trucks manufactured and sold in Canada ran non-ccc quadrajets & distributors right up until GM went to TBI or MPFI. As far as emissions equipment I would ditch the AIR system alltogether. Cats nowadays no longer need air injected into them to prevent them from melting. The air system is not only getting hard to find parts for, but clutters up the engine bay visually and makes maintenance (changing spark plugs) a pain. If you're running the serpentine system that was found in the 89/90 Caprice (same bracketry as the 3rd gen F-bodies) I can provide you a part number for a factory "delete" pulley for the AIR pump. I would also seriously considering build your own Y pipe and running a 2.5 or 3" single exhaust. And ditch the factory manifolds they will restrict you a lot... If you dont want headers seek out a pair of b-body LT1 manifolds. They will look factory and not kill AS much power as stockers...