Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 454 TBI for '98 350 Vortec

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by brian617 View Post
    I'll have to open those .BINs again and look, but i'm almost certain I laid the two maps on top of each other in graph mode and there was no difference. I manually added a vortec table in and it was seriously different shape. I've seen the pictures too, but the proof was in the pudding, I saw no differences. Didn't think to compare the AE stuff though.
    The $63 .bin is an Export Vortec TBI 350 calibration. The spark map has a few changes at high rpm and IIRC the base timing was set at 6*. They also have larger injectors than the normal 61s. IIRC they have Pink/Green painted markings rather than the normal Orange/Black 350 injectors.

Fuel Injected!
    Gentlemen: Is there a way to expand the ADX file to see some more parameters being sent from the ECU to the ALDL? Would be nice to see open/closed loop. Also MAP values. At present, not interested in the transmission parameters until such time as it is installed in the 1995 C1500 pickup. Downloaded DataMaster to use and it has closed/open loop indication. Whether or not it works with this 0D mask, 16197427 ECU loaded BJYB binary, don't know as of yet. Sure would be nice to see the important parameters for right now with TunerPro RT version 5.x and be able to emulate the EPROM and adjust the VE tables as necessary open or closed loop. Reminder, I am a relative newby at this game.

The other vehicle with 16197427 ECU is a 1994 454 (Now 489 cu in) with Edelbrock peanut port intake manifold (because it was designed for GM peanut port heads) which has Magnetti Marelli Pico 29 pph injectors for the 502 GM engine. The similar Edelbrock TBI to (batch, bank to bank injection?) MPFI is the kit with 19 pph injectors for the 454. Chose the 29 pph kit as it is closer in displacement to 502 cu in kit. On this engine, I bumped up the ignition timing and got a hell of a lot more performance from it even without ECU hardware mods or serious re-tuning. Still passed Arizona emissions!

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    The $63 .bin is an Export Vortec TBI 350 calibration. The spark map has a few changes at high rpm and IIRC the base timing was set at 6*. They also have larger injectors than the normal 61s. IIRC they have Pink/Green painted markings rather than the normal Orange/Black 350 injectors.
    The only export .BIN I've ever seen is BRDW and the spark map is a dead ringer for BJYL, with only a few changes on the VE table. I suppose the added base timing and larger injectors would explain that.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Quote Originally Posted by rsicard View Post
    Gentlemen: Is there a way to expand the ADX file to see some more parameters being sent from the ECU to the ALDL? Would be nice to see open/closed loop. Also MAP values. At present, not interested in the transmission parameters until such time as it is installed in the 1995 C1500 pickup. Downloaded DataMaster to use and it has closed/open loop indication. Whether or not it works with this 0D mask, 16197427 ECU loaded BJYB binary, don't know as of yet. Sure would be nice to see the important parameters for right now with TunerPro RT version 5.x and be able to emulate the EPROM and adjust the VE tables as necessary open or closed loop. Reminder, I am a relative newby at this game.
    At the top center of TP5 should be some icons "data dash, data list views, data history tables and data monitors". Clicking on data dash will give you a simulated dash with many options of data to stream. Right clicking on them will enable you to change what you see and where. Takes a little while fumbling through it before you get a dash set up the way you like it.
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS

Fuel Injected!
    At the top center of TP5 should be some icons "data dash, data list views, data history tables and data monitors". Clicking on data dash will give you a simulated dash with many options of data to stream. Right clicking on them will enable you to change what you see and where. Takes a little while fumbling through it before you get a dash set up the way you like it.
    Brian617:

That is very true. On the right mouse click drop down list, closed/open loop and MAP are not on that list. Is there a way to expand the ADX file so that additional parameters are on the list? Please advise. Thanks.

Fuel Injected!
    The only export .BIN I've ever seen is BRDW and the spark map is a dead ringer for BJYL, with only a few changes on the VE table. I suppose the added base timing and larger injectors would explain that.
    Brian671: Thanks for the head up on the BRDW binary. I may try that avenue as well. Just need to keep the engine running after going to closed loop. Monitored that on an AutoXray tester that only shows one parameter on the display at one time. The AutoXray tester is not good for much. It would be nice to get all the pertinent engine/ECU tuning parameters with one piece of software. Will switch between TunerPro RT and DataMaster which apparently shows open/closed loop parameter. Hard to believe that TunerPro RT does not show these parameters on this ECU with this binary. Any ideas on this aspect of TunerPro RT would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rsicard View Post
    Hard to believe that TunerPro RT does not show these parameters on this ECU with this binary. Any ideas on this aspect of TunerPro RT would be greatly appreciated.
    TunerPro5 does show all these parameters. Are you connected via ALDL and streaming data with TP5?

Fuel Injected!
    TunerPro5 does show all these parameters. Are you connected via ALDL and streaming data with TP5?
    Brian617: Thanks very much for your replys. TunerPro RT version 5.x is likely to show most or all of the parameters. Just not sure that I have the proper files loaded. Downloaded the the XDF and ADX for version 5.x from Tunerpro.net. Maybe there are more expanded XDF and ADX files that display more parameters that I am getting with the one from Tunerpro.net. There are very few engine parameters for display but a lot more for the transmission. Go figure. Perhaps some of the other experienced fellows on this site have some ideas. Asking them to speak up concerning this matter.

What adx file are you using?

Fuel Injected!
    What adx file are you using?
    I am using A218_0D_Trans1_v250.adx as downloaded from Tunerpro.net. Just got done running the engine again and it must have had a bad vacuum leak. Sealed up the 4 barrel manifold and installed a new TBI gasket and now the engine is running a lot more normal. Accelerating from a lower RPM, the engine will pop, throw flames out the top of the throttle body (TB) as though it is encountering a lean condition on acceleration. Totally forgot about what may be called a dashpot which is a vacuum operated idle throttle stop. With no vacuum the actuator is spring loaded to the high idle position. With vacuum on it, it retracts to the lower idle position. It also has an adjustable bolt for setting the idle. I have this system on my 1994 454 Suburban and it works well. Don't know if there are provisions in this Howell fabricated harness for a vacuum solenoid to shut off the vacuum to the vacuum idle stop actuator.

Very much encouraged that the engine is running a lot better. I am going to fab an adjustable idle stop to replace the vacuum actuator for now. Then I can look at ignition timing etc. to make certain other aspects are operating accordingly. When letting the TB go to idle position, at the lower RPMs, the engine wants to die out. Oh, and this last run, the system went closed loop quite fast compared with previous runs. Hmm, wonder about that. Well, for now need to fab the idle adjust bracket. Then, may alter Accel Enrichment (AE) to see if that will get rid of the backfire on accel from idle. First better check timing advance etc. before altering AE.

You're using a transmission specific adx. Go here http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D and get A217 $0D TP5 v250.adx
    Last edited by brian617; 03-07-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    You're using a transmission specific adx. Go here http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D and get Advanced $0D TP5 v250
    There are 2 ADX files. First A218 Trans1 $0D TP5 v250.adx and A217 $0D TP5 v250.adx. Are both of these transmission files? Should I use one of these files? Which of these adx files should be used? Downloaded advanced XDF file. One of 9 files in the one post. I am confused. There are several on this page of the postings.

I'm sorry, I copied the XDF, I edited my post. Fat fingers and an iphone lol.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm sorry, I copied the XDF, I edited my post. Fat fingers and an iphone lol.
    Understand now, thanks for the reply. Did not realize one could go back and edit a previous post. Learn something new everyday. Somehow supposed to know that?

Fuel Injected!
    As far as I remember that "Vortec/TBI/Export" .BIN floating around is a hoax. I compared it with a BJYL .BIN and found no differences in the fuel and spark tables.
    Look like I should switch over to the BJYL binary for the Vortec/TBI/ Export, or similar binary, to be closer to the objective of tuning the Vortec with 454 throttle body and Cop Car injectors. Then set the fuel pressure regulator to approximately what it needs to be and electronically tune from that point.