Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Data at last and now time for some help

Data at last and now time for some help

Well I finally have some data to share.I guess this was the wrong time of year to make an Ubur-easy DIY cable with expectation of getting it shipped, assembled and working in a timely manner.Learning a little about TunerPro and a note to self (hit the record button dummy).

Some info on my Jeep, I have a AMC 401 bored .030 over 9.8:1 compression, Crane Cam H-260-2, TBI from a 454 (17087021) with 80lbs injectors MSD distributor and a Jacobs coil.

The issue I know are it ping a lot of the time and it backfire thru the TBI when I nail it (WOT)

So if some of you data crunching experts could look this over the data I would greatly appreciate the help.

I've looked at the above .xdl file. I finally figured out you are using a '7747 / $42 computer? Might be a good plan in the future to attach the .adx file that was used to record the .xdl file.

I exported the .xdl to Excel, see attached VE summary screen shots. Overall not bad.

I noticed vehicle speed, is there a VSS? Maybe you need to disable the VSS?

I think it would be a good plan to run the BPW and Spark Advance Patch, to provide more information in the data log. See attached .xdf

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I've looked at the above .xdl file. I finally figured out you are using a '7747 / $42 computer? Might be a good plan in the future to attach the .adx file that was used to record the .xdl file.

I exported the .xdl to Excel, see attached VE summary screen shots. Overall not bad.

I noticed vehicle speed, is there a VSS? Maybe you need to disable the VSS?

I think it would be a good plan to run the BPW and Spark Advance Patch, to provide more information in the data log. See attached .xdf

dave w
    Yes it's a 7747 / $42 sorry for not mentioning that. No there is no VSS used or EGR.

When I add the patch do I need to flash the chip with the new BIN and gather more data?

The 1st time I tried to get the data I exported all the info to a Excel file the I attached along with the main spark advance graph and does that look right?

I think the timing is one of my major issues along with maybe running lean above 2500. Why does the charts / data not go over 3200?

Thanks for all your help

Definately sounds like timing to me. What is your base timing set at? I highly reccomend 0 degrees. Thats what I have my 401 set at. For a long time I had mine set at 10 degrees and eventually found out it was causing some issues. So I changed it back to 0 and it ran much better. Also make sure your bin is set accordingly. (if base timing is set to 0, make sure its also set to 0 in the bin)
    Just a stupid question, since your not running EGR. You do have EGR disabled in the bin right?
    I would try and take note of what RPM and map your getting ping at. Have someone else drive if you can so you can watch. Take a few degrees away in those areas and maybe do a little smoothing.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyCJ7 View Post
    No there is no VSS used or EGR.
    Run the Patch to disable the EGR.
    ECM connector pin "B10" needs to be grounded to properly disable VSS.

When I add the patch do I need to flash the chip with the new BIN and gather more data?
    Yes, flash a chip with the changes and data log.
    After applying the patch, I recommend "save file as" with a new name that includes a description of the change. Maybe a name that has "patches applied"

The 1st time I tried to get the data I exported all the info to a Excel file the I attached along with the main spark advance graph and does that look right?
    Sometimes it is helpful to post the .bin file your working with for us to look at.

I think the timing is one of my major issues along with maybe running lean above 2500. Why does the charts / data not go over 3200?

Thanks for all your help
    The timing chart and the rest of the parameters were originally designed by GM Engineers, so we are basically stuck with what was designed for the '7747 ECM.

dave w

From what I can tell the EGR has been disabled.

I look at the spark advance table (attached) and to me that looks like it a mess. I looked at one of the BIN files that came with TunerPro and it all blue in the graph compared to my current one.
    Since this BIN was modified from a 6 cylinder 7747 I'm almost thinking that I should start over with clean BIN file. Am I way off base?

If not I would like to see another main spark advance table to change mine.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Definately sounds like timing to me. What is your base timing set at? I highly reccomend 0 degrees. Thats what I have my 401 set at. For a long time I had mine set at 10 degrees and eventually found out it was causing some issues. So I changed it back to 0 and it ran much better. Also make sure your bin is set accordingly. (if base timing is set to 0, make sure its also set to 0 in the bin)
    Do I do that in the table under the 400 ,600 & 800 rows where mine shows 20.04?
    Can I see what your table looks like to get some idea of a good working one for a AMC 401 should look like.

Thanks Guys

I made some changes (including the Patches) to the asdu04.bin that should help? Please post a data log (.xdl file only) using the attached .bin file.

dave w

Will do. Thanks

Do I do that in the table under the 400 ,600 & 800 rows where mine shows 20.04?
    Can I see what your table looks like to get some idea of a good working one for a AMC 401 should look like.

Thanks Guys
    I am running a different ecm (16197427) so the tables will not match. But I can post up a screen shot if you want. I have mine tuned for 93 octane gas. My build is simillar. I am .040 over, comp 256HXE cam, stock pistons, heads shaved about .020, and ported/polished. I am also MPFI. But the timing didnt change from when I was running TBI.
    I have found AMC's like more timing. Way more than any stock chevy timing table I have seen, which looking at your kinda surprises me it pings. Makes me think something else might be going on.

If the bin you have been running is modded from a V6 bin, then definately get rid of it and try a fresh V8 bin. The one dave posted should be good starting point.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I made a quick run and I stopped early because I kept see errors on the DA status bar. I had almost 200 in about 5 minutes.

I made a quick run and I stopped early because I kept see errors on the DA status bar. I had almost 200 in about 5 minutes.
    Something seems odd. The SA and BPW are not working in the test3.xdl data log with the new asdu05.bin file.

Maybe try re-flashing the asdu05.bin file again and see if the SA and BPW start working in the data log.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Something seems odd. The SA and BPW are not working in the test3.xdl data log with the new asdu05.bin file.

Maybe try re-flashing the asdu05.bin file again and see if the SA and BPW start working in the data log.

dave w
    I was thinking something was wrong with having all those errors

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I am running a different ecm (16197427) so the tables will not match. But I can post up a screen shot if you want. I have mine tuned for 93 octane gas. My build is simillar. I am .040 over, comp 256HXE cam, stock pistons, heads shaved about .020, and ported/polished. I am also MPFI. But the timing didnt change from when I was running TBI.
    I have found AMC's like more timing. Way more than any stock chevy timing table I have seen, which looking at your kinda surprises me it pings. Makes me think something else might be going on.

If the bin you have been running is modded from a V6 bin, then definately get rid of it and try a fresh V8 bin. The one dave posted should be good starting point.
    I would love to see what your table looks like. The BIN file is just mine with some changes. Where do I find a good starting BIN file?

I would love to see what your table looks like. The BIN file is just mine with some changes. Where do I find a good starting BIN file?
    Just use a good stock bin file for a V8 and start there. The one daveW posted above should be a good starting bin.

I dug through my laptop and found the folder where I still had my bin files from when I still had a 7747 and tbi. You can open it and look at it, or try and run it if you want to. I posted my engine specs above, and I run 93 octane. So I can not offer any guarentee my spark table will run yours without knock. Run it at your own risk. All I can say is I had none. I had EGR disabled, and bpw set for a 454 tbi in this bin. Also, make sure your base timing is set to 0 !!

Thanks I will compare it with my current one to see the differences. I need to re-flash my chip so I will try that to make sure I get some data flowing with errors.