Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Data at last and now time for some help

Alrighty then.
    I loaded JeepsAndGuns .BIN file and tested it, The timing was set to zero and I started off with the CEL on that came back with a 42 & 43.

It was pinging from 1200 rpm on.

I also found that one of the pins on the chip was bent and it didn't look like it was connected. I fixed that prior to flashing the chip with JeepsAndGuns file.

I will reload the my original BIN file and see if that clears the error codes. if it does I will load the BIN file Dave modified to see if see if the SA and BPW start working in the data log.

More to come

Do you have a knock sensor installed? Is the wiring for the ESC module ok?

One thing I have found, is GM knock sensors do not like AMC engines. I have tried different knock sensors, ESC modules (and memcals with my current ecm), different mounting locations and different ways to mount them. None have had any sucess. I get constant knock counts, even when I know there is none. I guess AMC engines are just too noisy. I have disabled knock retard in mine.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

On the topic of TBI Knock Sensors, some of the early (1987 ~ 89?) TBI 454 engines did not have knock sensors.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Do you have a knock sensor installed? Is the wiring for the ESC module ok?

One thing I have found, is GM knock sensors do not like AMC engines. I have tried different knock sensors, ESC modules (and memcals with my current ecm), different mounting locations and different ways to mount them. None have had any sucess. I get constant knock counts, even when I know there is none. I guess AMC engines are just too noisy. I have disabled knock retard in mine.
    My system doesn't have the knock sensor and I don't have the VSS either.

I just came back from a test drive on the file Dave W changed and I attached the results. Please note the base time is still set to zero.

So is there an Idiots Guide to understanding the numbers? I believe the BLM should be 128 from what I gather but the rest escapes me.

I played back the test6.xdl file. The spark patch is working.

Attached is a screen shot of the average spark advance of the AMC 401 without VSS from test6.xdl and a screen shot of a Chevy 350 with VSS ????.xdl file to compare the spark averages with.

I have attached the SA Tables for the AMC 401 and Chevy 350.

The attached asdu9567.bin file is the file I used to compare / make corrections to the asdu04.bin file.

I'm very limited on time.

I hope this helps.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by WallyCJ7 View Post
    My system doesn't have the knock sensor and I don't have the VSS either.
    Thats going to be why you have code 42 and 43. You will need to set the enable temp for spark retard to max to disable it, and then also turn off error codes 42 and 43. That should fix the check engine light and prevent it from trying to retard timing.

As for blm, I usally shoot for between 125 and 135. You will never be able to get all cells at 128. If you somehow did, then they will change the next day. Things like temp, humidity, barometric pressure/elevation, etc.. can all effect blm's.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Attached are some screen shots showing "Compare Difference" between the .bin files posted in this thread.

I think all "Timing Parameters" including the ESC parameters need to reviewed. I think the VSS needs to be "Correctly Disabled" in both the .bin file and permanently grounding ECM pin B10. For the asdu05.bin I posted, I set "Manual Transmission" to help disable VSS.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 12-30-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    dave w, do you know what exactly grounding the VSS wire is doing? How much does it help when you're not using a VSS?
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Quote Originally Posted by fastacton View Post
    dave w, do you know what exactly grounding the VSS wire is doing? How much does it help when you're not using a VSS?
    Grounding B10 DOES NOT GROUND the VSS! Grounding B10 tells the ECM the Vehicle is in "PARK" 100% of the time.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks dave, I didn't pay attention to which pin you were talking about. I knew about the park/neutral grounding, but had never thought of it as disabling the VSS even though that's pretty much what it does.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

I've been play and reading all the differences between the 3 BIN's and I finally found one calculator to figure out the BPW and I came up with 125 and I was running 109.

I changed the Main spark advance based on the Chevy 350 + 4 degrees. The fuel table I will tweak after I make some test runs and I using the TBI Calculator Excel sheet in found on another post.

I would have tried it today but its raining here and in a open Jeep it's not too much fun for sure. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be better for testing.

With getting some errors while logging data I was thinking that I should delete any BLM history that is a blatant bad reading as to not corrupt the adjustments.

The Chevy 350 timing table I posted a pic of Was Not a stock timing table!

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The Chevy 350 timing table I posted a pic of Was Not a stock timing table!

dave w
    I used asdu9567.bin. Was that the stock one?

Quote Originally Posted by WallyCJ7 View Post
    I used asdu9567.bin. Was that the stock one?
    Yes, the asdu9567.bin is a stock .bin file.

dave w

I finally got a good working ECM - thanks Brian and I went back and tried the .BIN file you adjusted. After a rough startup and after warning up I was able to take it out for some data collecting and I must say the jeep has never run that good, not perfect Yet... But a great starting point.
    I think the issue was the ECM was failing causing all the communication errors. I used the TBI calculator and I will try and get the fuel set and then start playing with the timing. I attached the .xdl file for you to check out. Just as a note I stopped for about a half hour in the middle of the run so it will finish the playback.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I made some changes (including the Patches) to the asdu04.bin that should help? Please post a data log (.xdl file only) using the attached .bin file.

dave w