Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with my dads truck. No power

Fuel Injected!
    I will make the fuel pressure regulator adjustable and hopefully get up to 14 psi. Actually, should i just shim the pressure regulator instead?

Fuel Injected!
    You may want to look at the pump as well, the regulator may already be set correctly and the pump just can't deliver.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah, i thought about that. Is their a way to test the max pump output.

Fuel Injected!
    Place pressure gauge where you can see it while driving. Drive up big hill at WOT, preferably so you can get to RPM redline. I've been told pressure shouldn't even drop by 1 psi. Infact at idle if you flick the throttle and the needle drops this is cause for concern at least for those of us running higher psi through the injectors. I have a feeling it's time to upgrade... Acdelco EP241 is the TPI pump (~50 psi), I recommend no other brand they seem to be the best. I have heard of guys running the vortec pump (60 psi) EP381 in place of the TBI pump. I have never done it and it might be over kill. I'd nearly go for which ever is cheaper. Might have an issue with to much fuel getting returned to tank tho... Make sure you use supplied hose (purple stripe) and clamps with new "high pressure" pump. Put a new sock and fuel filter on it. I'd also recommend getting injectors professionally cleaned. Adjust regulator, you might hit 13 you might not. If not shim the spring get a TBI gasket/rebuild kit as the old gaskets and packings will most likely rip on you.

Fuel Injected!
    Some good news and the end to this thread. I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt the throttle body. It has not been touched since probably new (1988). So while rebuilding i also made the fuel pressure regulator adjustable. When everything was put back together i retested the fuel pressure a few times while adjusting the regulator. The pressure stayed at 8 psi actually. I misread the gauge and thought it was 9 psi But it turns out every line was 2 psi not 1. So anyway i put in a new fuel pump and got the fuel pressure dialed in to 13-14 psi and the truck has never run better. The blm's stay right at 128 at idle and only deviate by a few numbers when revving up. Thanks everyone for your help.