Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 87 Corvette single turbo tuning

Fuel Injected!

87 Corvette single turbo tuning

I am doing a single turbo install on my 87 Corvette. I have made quite a few mods to the motor during this install and now it's time to make it run. I still have the original 165 ECM in this thing and with all of the mods it needs some help, I have Tuner Pro RT on the lap top. the first thing that jumped out at me was the initial startup after the build up, I installed a Stealth Ram intake and the old TPI had the cold start injector, It was hard to start with out it. I have found that the 89 tpi Vette had the cold start built into the programming as the 9th injector was deleted in 89 so I think that may be a place to start. I haven't road tested yet but hope to in the next few days.

I really don't know what will e the best way to go with this so I'm open to all suggestions

I'm not a huge fan of the 1227165 ECM. I would consider using one of the two computer upgrade options, links below:

http://www.dynamicefi.com/

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=375 (aka $12p)

Both computer upgrades use TunerPro based software, which is why I would consider these two if I had an engine like yours.

dave w

I would use $12P, since it requires little to no wiring changes and it's easy to revert to stock programming if need be.

I've briefly tested $12P in my Datsun where I use a '7749 running $59, and was impressed with the '165 and $12P, unfortunately I din't have enough time to get it tuned out as well as I would have liked at the time so I switched back until I could get back to it.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    12p for sure just needs maf wiring converted to map wiring then you can fit a 2 or 3 bar map sensor .its stable for comms and can log even faster if you make a custom aldl message with only the needed data with the supplied software.it has wideband input and logging so you can go for a drive come home look at the log and history tables and correct the ve table to get it in line theres a spreadsheet or 2 somewhere for injector sizing and fuel table tuning.there is a VE learn function on either narrowband or wideband but as with most systems ve learn is not as simple as flick it on and the car will tune itself .you wont get left looking for any settings that arnt in the xdf its fully defined custom built code.theres allready a good TPI on a GM crate motor tune or 2 on the site that you should be able to enter you injector size and offsets into and start it straight up and be ready for a few small tweaks to suit the off boost parts of the tune and then off tuning boost.can tune with ostrich or with the hardware from pcmhacking in realtime or can just burn eprom after eprom LOL.

Fuel Injected!
    I have a 01227730 ecm from an 89 Pont 3000 with a 2.8L engine, would it be worth it to try and use this ECM and convert to SD?, I also have some LTI ECM's (OBD1) Could one of them be used? they are Flash and that I really like.

Fuel Injected!
    ok, scratch that second question, I knew I had asked the LT1 PCM question before and I found the Thread where you guys had already answered that sorry.
    Last edited by 63LT1Vette; 12-26-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 63LT1Vette View Post
    I have a 01227730 ecm from an 89 Pont 3000 with a 2.8L engine, would it be worth it to try and use this ECM and convert to SD?
    I like the 1227730. The challenge is the turbo "Boost", which the 1227730 was not designed for. I don't think it would be worth converting to the 1227730. The time and / or budget to get a 1227730 working with "Boost" would likely equal the time and / or budget for one of the ECM options I previously posted.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Here is something weird, When the engine starts the fan starts to run (key on no fan, start engine fan starts), if the motor dies the fan quits (cold engine runs for a few seconds then dies fan goes off as soon as engine dies key still on), What's up with that? I checked all of my grounds and they are good, there is no code.

Fuel Injected!
    heres the main ose$12P zip download and info thread with adx xdf and bin files wiring etc http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356
    one of my 12p v111 350 tpi 1 bar bins here to look around http://pcmhacking.net/forums/download/file.php?id=9226
    great code to use very customisable lots of outputs for extra features boost control solinoid or relays for water meth pump etc

Fuel Injected!
    I can use the $12p in my original 165? am I reading that right?
    Forgive me guys, I'm mechanical, I need my hand held when it comes to the electronics.

Fuel Injected!
    yeah you guys got lucky your 1227165 is the same as our aussie and nz 1227808 but ours didnt get a highspeed aldl chip we add it in to get highspeed data.so our code just works in your ecu's like stock with simple wiring mods for the map sensor. delete the 9th injector its not needed.
    only thing that may be an issue is if other systems in the car need aldl data abs and dash etc

Fuel Injected!
    Dave, the dynamic efi looks to be what I wanting to do, But even it reads like I need to change to an 7727 ecm?

BTY I really appreciate you guys for the help.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Delcowizzid, I really need to look at that.

Fuel Injected!
    this and any good ftdi chip based aldl cable will allow realtime tuning http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3612
    pcmhacking aldl cable http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3616 designed and built by the designer of the ose12p not the cheapest but sure as shit gonna work every time you pick it up LOL

few of us running 10 second passes on 12p in turbo 6 cylinders one n/a v8.one guys running 2 cylinder motorbike motors on it v-dubs and allsorts of oddball stuff LOL for $300 or less your up and realtime tuning

Fuel Injected!
    That's what I'm talking about, Thanks again.