Thread: Tunerpro finally up and running, now to decipher some of my readings!

Electronic Ignition!

Tunerpro finally up and running, now to decipher some of my readings!

Hey there!
    So I was finally able to get Tunerpro RT setup to datalog last night and decided to go ahead and do one.
    I would have to say, this is pretty amazing to finally see what my TBI engine is doing!
    Anyways I was hoping that some of you experienced guys could help me understand as to what my readings are indicating and/or what the parameters my engine should b running at?
    I've found some info such as the IAC counts, the TPS sensor, temp sensor, just the few easy ones to understand where it should be hanging at.
    I only have an issue at start up and also when the engine is warmed up, it will start to miss sometimes.
    Towards the end of the log, you will see that my spark advance will jump up higher than normal when it misses.

If anyone is particularly interested in check out the datalog, I will uploaded it on here.
    Also while datalogging last night, I was giving the engine some throttle which was causing the tunerpro to "freeze" I guess.
    Any help to understand what I'm looking for would be a huge help.
    Thanks guys and have a great week!

The screen shots below are what I'm seeing from the 1st datalog 93 gmc c1500.xdl file.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    areas of interest as far as time, you can see a spark advance spike up to 23.9 and a 02 reading at 177 in closed loop as the engine misses right around 9 mins 7 seconds. I've also notice the spark advance drops down below 5 as the O2 is at 871 when you hit the throttle real quick around 18 mins 30 seconds in as well.
    I hope someone can shed some light on this so I can finally be done with my engine miss.
    also to let you guys know
    fuel pressure 13psi
    compression 170-180 psi
    vacuum 20-21" in park 18-19" in drive
    also just to let you know, this is a high mileage motor, 319k miles.
    thanks guys happy holidays!
    Last edited by drewkimble48; 12-25-2014 at 02:33 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Hey Dave,
    first off, thank you for taking the time to check this out
    the second thing is where you accessed those graphs at in tunerpro rt? I understand your most of your images and see that I am actually running on the rich side it would appear. The only thing I do not understand is what would be a good injector duty cycle and the knock counts as well if that is a good indication or bad.
    reading all this data is pretty new to me and to understand and find the bad spots can be alittle overwhelming.
    I'm hoping to be able to understand it all to help myself in the future and for anyone else that comes by this post to find some input as well for their vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by drewkimble48 View Post
    Hey Dave, where you accessed those graphs at in tunerpro rt?
    The graphs are not in TunerPro RT. The graphs are from Microsoft Excel spreadsheets that others and myself developed.

High Knock Counts usually indicates to much spark advance.

Duty Cycle is helpful to figure out a trend, usually Low RPM / Light Load will have low Duty Cycle numbers. For High RPM / Heavy Load the Duty Cycle numbers will be higher. Duty Cycle information can be helpful for Acceleration Enrichment (AE) and Power Enrichment (PE) tuning.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    After going over and looking at my datalog, it would appear I had up to over 500 knock counts so I would assume I need to trace down what is creating such a high knock count and get it to come back down.
    as far as tuning, I'm not really looking into tuning the truck and I am more than happy with the stock motor since its a daily driver and just wanting to find and take care of my kinks for I am looking into doing the Power Tour this year if I get the truck in better shape than it is.