Thread: 1 BBL TBI on a Toyota 22R

1 BBL TBI on a Toyota 22R

I've been thinking about using a GM 1 BBl TBI system on a Toyota 22R.

I have a 1227727 ECM with a TBI 2.5 liter 4 cylinder Memcal.

I can CAD / CNC an adapter plate, carb to TBI.

It appears some 22R distributors use a suitable pickup coil to trigger a GM TBI Ignition Module.

I welcome comments and thoughts about the idea. Maybe someone has done this conversion, or can post a link to a similar conversion?

dave w

Administrator
    I think it's a great idea. You might want to use a later model 700 TBI with the smaller bore but either version should work well. 22RE distributor will trigger a GM module... not sure of the 22R.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I think it's a great idea. You might want to use a later model 700 TBI with the smaller bore but either version should work well. 22RE distributor will trigger a GM module... not sure of the 22R.
    Thanks for the reply, that is the kind of information I am hoping for!

dave w

The pic below sparked an idea ... Carburetors are sometimes referred to as "Toilet Bowls" So maybe a Toyota with a GM 1 bbl TBI could also be a "Toylet Bowl"?

dave w

Administrator
    There are 2bbl TBI conversions for the I6 engines found in early Land Cruisers so this would follow a long tradition. The "Toylet bowl" might have some potential. You know, computer controlled flushes with superior mixing to improve even the worst emissions.

Hmmm... Maybe I can see why I didn't do so well in Marketing 101.

Fuel Injected!
    Why not just swap on 22RE stuff then run it off the 727?

Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    Why not just swap on 22RE stuff then run it off the 727?
    That is an option I will think about.

dave w

billygraves
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    If you do use the smaller bore 700 TBI and ECM, you should know this. In the days of these TBI systems, GM had a HOT SOAK Fuel handling problem where the fuel boiled in the unit on Hot soaks and an update was issued. It was to install a NEW Fuel Pump and PROM/MEM-CAL. The fuel pump was a PORT FUEL and had hi volume vanes. Although it ran in the low pres TBI, it Required a PROM.

This is what we did @ GM when I fixed the first buy-back on one. We got this Grand Am and installed the fuel pump. (After verifying the complaint) We drove this and it was so rich it set DTC 45. After we installed the MEM-CAL it ran great and fixed the hot soak surge/misfire. I can't remember if it was a PROM or Mem-cal.

So if you use this ECM insure the PROM/MEM-CAL is for the right fuel pump. Personally I would use the older TBI. Some of the 700 TBI Injectors LEAKED FUEL and the wiring seals were so good, the fuel ran back inside the ECM. Vehicles had a gas odor complaint. Yes it did have very high hydrocarbon levels as we measured it. Fuel cooled ECM in those days. Similar to the Early Coolant sensors that has Green inside the ECM for the solder leaking coolant into the inside of the sensor wicking through the wiring.