Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecm is not sending a signal to trigger iac

Fuel Injected!

Ecm is not sending a signal to trigger iac

Hello, I have had a large vacuum leak from the throttle body for a while but since i only drive my truck every month or so i haven't messed with it. Today i went to check it out and it turns out the 1227747 ecm is not sending a signal to control the iac. What could be the problem?

Also I cannot for the life of me get my laptop to connect to the ecm. I did the timing patch and ever since then it just says connecting never connected. I have an older ftdi driver from 2009 that i know works. The aldl cable i built used to work fine. The tx/rx lights do not light up when i am trying to connect.

It sounds like you might be in limp home mode. Load a non patched bin and post the results.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    i will try that tomorrow

Fuel Injected!
    ok so i put the afcb bin on the chip. So today when trying to get the iac to move i realized that the ground wire (pin a of the aldl port) was not connected to ground. I fixed this but i still get no movement from the iac.

Can you get data now?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    actually i never checked. I will check that tonight and get back with the results.

Fuel Injected!
    ok, so i am currently checking to see if it connects and nothing. It just says connecting. I can test the cable and it says found and functional.

Does your check engine light work? If it does, what does it do when you turn on the key? Blink twice then stay on, or blink really fast?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Actually i was never able to get my check engine light to work. I know its simple to hook up but the ecm would not light up the bulb. I tried troubleshooting that for days. I ended up just plugging into the ecm periodically.

There's a couple red flags popping up then...

If the CEL output is indeed non functional and the IAC outouts are also non-op, then it could be a quad driver issue.

When you tried connecting the CEL, you did have 12V to the other side of the bulb, correct?

Fuel Injected!
    Yes i did have 12 volts on the other side of the bulb and the ecm is just there to ground out the light. I tried hooking up my volt meter in between the positive and the ecm ground and would get the dvom to display the 12 volts but i could not light up the light. I made sure i had the right bulb and what not. I did a bunch of tests but could not get the cel to illuminate but the ecm was sending out a ground signal to ground the bulb so at least i think the ecm is working correctly. I bought this tbi system off of craigslist and took it off of the doner vehicle myself. The guy also had a relatively new remanufactured ecm that he gave to me.
    Last edited by joegreen; 12-20-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Hello, just spent the last couple days replacing the upper ball joints/ control arm and lower ball joints on a ford ranger. Anyway any ideas on what to test regarding not being able to connect to the ecm and the ecm not sendibg a signal to the iac? Thanks for everyones input so far.

Fuel Injected!
    It's sounding like you might have a bad ECM. Can you get hold of another one for testing?
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    I dont know where to get another one. Could this ecm be bad even though its remanufactured and the truck runs.

Limp home mode will let the engine start and run, but not very good.
    From what I remember back when I was running that ecm and accidently got in limp home mode, the IAC just pegged wide open and I was unable to connect to the ecm.

I would go through and check all the basics. Power, grounds, bad/broken connections. And yes, even if a part is new/reman, doesnt mean its good. I have had bad parts straight out of the box from a parts store.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.