Thread: Also need help getting started vortec tbi

Fuel Injected!

Also need help getting started vortec tbi

Converting '95 TBI 350 to 350 Vortec engine. Have 4 barrel manifold and adapter to 454 TBI. Purchased 454 TBI and cleaning it up. Will follow suggestions from posting "Need help getting started vortec tbi. The ECU is 16197427 with BJYM mask tuned for 350 TBI. Conversion to have 454 TBI. Don't have specs on fuel pressure from pump in tank. Will need to retune ECU for Vortec and 454 TBI. Vortec out of vehicle now being built up, has earlier timing cover and 6.25 damper installed. Any comments/suggestions about this conversion would be welcome.

I helped with a similar engine, dyno tested to 330 rear wheel horsepower. I used a timing table more in common with 96 ~ 99 Vortec computer.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Very nice to know Dave. Need recommendations for different pressure in-tank fuel pump if needed. Also need recommendations for 454 throttle body pressure regulator spring an proper fuel pressure setting for proper sized fuel injectors. Found BRDW.bin for Vortec cylinder heads on 350 Vortec. Possibly need to work on fuel table of this bin. Mainly need HELP!

Other members might have a difference of opinion?

I like using stock EFI parts. I like being able to go to most any Auto Parts Store and get parts by using Make / Model / Year. I like using stock fuel pumps and stock fuel pressures for a TBI engine.

The early TBI 454's (1987 ~ 1989) had injectors with flow rates ranging from 74 lbs / hr to 90 lbs / hr, which I think is enough fuel flow for a stock Vortec 5.7 liter. Standard Ignition, an aftermarket auto parts supplier, sells new 454 TBI injectors part # TJ11 (1987 GMC 1 Ton pickup VIN code "N"). It's a good plan to have TBI injectors flow tested for any TBI engine that Is Not 100% stock.

I've installed Camaro TPI fuel pumps into TBI pickups, because the TPI fuel pump fits exactly like the original TBI fuel pump did. I've used AC Delco TPI fuel pump part # EP241 (1990 Camaro 5.7 Liter / TPI) with excellent results.

For a high performance TBI engine (more than 1 HP / cubic inch) the use of adjustable fuel pressure regulators might still be needed. Many years ago, the software and hardware to "Tune" TBI was very limited. Many years ago, the use of an adjustable fuel pressure regulator was about the only way most TBI engine owners could "Tune" a TBI engine.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Dave:

The one problem that has me stumped is the fittings on the throttle body. There are adapters on the throttle body that adapt to GM fuel tubing that has "O" Rings. Don't know what they are called or if there is tooling to form the bubble near the end of the tube and the "O" rings that go onto to the tube. Need some advise as to where to go to get the appropriate fittings. I tend to go to 37 degree flare AN fittings as I came from an aviation background. Now have a source for higher flow AN fittings. I have cleaned up a spare 454 throttle body and sent off injectors to mrinjector. Hope to get them back from him soon. Have another set of injectors from a 454 throttle body that is on my 1994 suburban which is now used for an air valve only. The fuel portion was taken off and stored from which I have the spare 17104288 injectors. These have been assembled into a spare 454 throttle body along with a new regulator diaphram and original '94-'95 regulator (heavy and tall) spring. A high pressure pump is on order and should come in soon. When I switch engines, the fuel tank will have to come out for replacement of the fuel pump. The next hurdle will be adjusting the regulator. Have a spare harness and spare 16197427 and will put the 350 Vortec on my run-in stand and get all the electrical and EFI harness all hooked up. Then run it and try to set the fuel regulator.

I think Earls Fittings or Russell's Fittings will offer the AN fittings your looking for.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ru...FROTfgodfJ0AOA

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Dave:

Have tried Earls and Russell fittings. The extended fittings that attach to the throttle body are a metric 1.25 mm thread pitch and the other end it the bubble with an "O" ring much like the power steering fittings. Don't know what the name of the "O" ring fittings which have a different thread pitch. Need to find a tool to form the bubble and get "O" rings for the fittings. Would like to find someone that handles adapters to AN fittings. Found a good supply house in California for XRP AN fittings which flow more than regular AN fittings.

Fuel Injected!
    You can also get tubing with the proper fittings at your local auto parts store. Ask for part numbers 800-151 and 800-153 by Dorman. I use them when I don't need to go with AN lines.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    fastacton:

Thanks every so much. This is exactly what I need for a recommendation. I will go to my local auto parts store that handles Dorman parts and see if they have or can get them. Again thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rsicard View Post
    fastacton:

Thanks every so much. This is exactly what I need for a recommendation. I will go to my local auto parts store that handles Dorman parts and see if they have or can get them. Again thanks.
    The Dorman 3/8" line is 16mm x 1.5 and the Dorman 5/16" line is 14mm x 1.25.

dave w

The fittings into the throttle body for the fuel lines are called Saginaw fittings.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Six_Shooter:

Thanks ever so much. Now I know what to call these fittings.