"I may be late to this party, but why not just use the CCC HEI from a 4.1L I6 from say a California model of a 1984 G20 van?? I believe it is AC Delco # 88864755 "
I'll check that out;I'm discovering several different shaft lengths,depending on what I use. A late 70's 250 distributor is too long and needs the the shaft cut and re-shaped to drive the oil pump,and needs the drive gear moved and drilled and re-pinned. I have an HEI distributor from a 4.3 (?),but it's just too short. Then I have a points distributor from an early 70's 292 that's only about 1/4 inch too short;not sure WHAT to make of THAT. It appears whatever distributor I choose will need to have the housing modified at the base,the shaft will need to be lengthened or shortened,the end will need to be cut to a "blade" style to match the oil pump,the drive gear will need to be moved and/or replaced,and it may be necessary to be "creative" with fitting a suitable module and wiring.
"I really try to get everything from the original applications because you just never know what subtle differences you'll find."
I'm with ya on that.
More measuring,re-designing,configuring and wondering why I decided to do this will be ensuing.
Thanks for all your help,ideas and information-none of it will go to waste. The truck is currently about 15 miles away,stricken down with some burnt wiring (THANKS,mice!),but I have what parts I need to retrieve it. I'll be doing that as soon as the ground firms up enough to drive it out.
Speed