Thread: tuner pro/tuning chips help

Electronic Ignition!

tuner pro/tuning chips help

Good evening all, my apologies for the newb question. But I've been digging pretty deep and haven't had much searching for it, if it exists.
    I'm looking for definition files guys have modded, that they have found that work on their customization of their vehicles. Than uploaded them some where to share with other with similar Mods. Such as a guy with a 1992 chevy k1500 tbi 350 that put in a RV cam, cold air intake, and straight back no cat glasspack exhaust.
    Instead having to reinvent the wheel. Go off of what other people have already figured out. I hope this makes sense, even greater hopes that their are definition files out there like this.
    Thanks for any and all advice, suggestion, input etc in advance :)

What you are looking for is bin files, the definition files simply decipher what is in the bin and display them as human readable values.

The problem with canned bin files is that while they may be close for two different engines, each engine can really benefit from a tune for that specific engine.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Right, I understand that. But with so many hundreds of engines with different vehicle applications and programming theirs still a baseline parameters set from the factory. yes their are hundreds of things a person can do to force them into retuning their chip. rear axle, new heads, different cam.
    what im trying to say is you can get pretty close to what someone else has already done, like i said i dont want to reinvent the wheel, follow foot steps and struggles that i dont have to if someone else has taken a big chunk of tuning, with relatively the same mods. Their has got to be similar people out their with a 350 block that put a rv cam in, dual exhaust, straight back, no cat. with a PCM 16198145. I'm not the only one with this setup. I know its not going to be a perfect match, but it would be a big step in the right direction. From their i can narrow down the tuning to proprely match my setup. if that makes sense. Because the way I have it now, Everything is brand new, and its all put back together, I just have to tune the ECM for the new cam, because it doesnt run. and its not good at its parameters to run it, so id like to piggy back off someone else, not to be lazy, but im still new to tuning. if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by LlamaJWC View Post
    Right, I understand that. But with so many hundreds of engines with different vehicle applications and programming theirs still a baseline parameters set from the factory. yes their are hundreds of things a person can do to force them into retuning their chip. rear axle, new heads, different cam.
    what im trying to say is you can get pretty close to what someone else has already done, like i said i dont want to reinvent the wheel, follow foot steps and struggles that i dont have to if someone else has taken a big chunk of tuning, with relatively the same mods. Their has got to be similar people out their with a 350 block that put a rv cam in, dual exhaust, straight back, no cat. with a PCM 16198145. I'm not the only one with this setup. I know its not going to be a perfect match, but it would be a big step in the right direction. From their i can narrow down the tuning to proprely match my setup. if that makes sense. Because the way I have it now, Everything is brand new, and its all put back together, I just have to tune the ECM for the new cam, because it doesnt run. and its not good at its parameters to run it, so id like to piggy back off someone else, not to be lazy, but im still new to tuning. if that makes sense.
    something's you must understand are 1. tuners with custom tunes for engine mods put a lot of effort into their tune and some are a little reluctant to just give it away as a base line or publish it for everyone to see. 2. like Six shooter said every build is different so using someone else's tune could damage your engine (not to mention not knowing the skill level of the person tuning). I have two trucks with the same heads that require two different timing maps for example.

for mine I started with a stock bin for the vehicle and worked from there.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Electronic Ignition!
    My apologies, still new and learning, but from the different ADX files I'm seeing, Why couldn't, or why isn't their a .txt file with it with a full break down of the vehicle.
    Year make model ECM, mask id, exhaust pipe, size etc.
    I can understand the reliability Issue, and people wanting to protect their. I'm just curious, ya know? If nothing else having another to compare things at.
    We're I'm starting is tough enough as it is, IMO. switching the 4l60e to nv4500, no VSS. unknown RV cam. I'm at a complete loss as where to start tuning.
    thats only why I ask. Its so close, I'm getting anxious to get it going. I appreciate all the words of wisdom and thoughts. I hope I'm not coming across as too forward, I really do appreciate it, and hope it keeps coming :)

Fuel Injected!
    The ADX file doesn't hold the tuning info. Neither does the XDF file. The tuning is in the bin file. Somewhere on the site is a spreadsheet that breaks down the BCC codes for the factory bins of the older OBD1 stuff. There are lots of factory bins floating around.

If you were doing OBD2 stuff sites like HPTuners have a user bin section.

Canned bins might give you a starting point that is better than stock, but it won't be by much. They're not much use unless you match every detail of the engine the tune came from.

Electronic Ignition!
    whats bcc

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by LlamaJWC View Post
    whats bcc
    BCC stands for "broadcast code" and it is a 4 letter code that identifies a stock calibration... almost like a "model number" for the bin.
    I have a spread sheet that lists all of these and there is a pdf file floating around too... I'll see if I can find it.

Fuel Injected!
    See if the links in this post still work...

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ght=bcc+lookup