Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4A-GZE conversion

Fuel Injected!

4A-GZE conversion

has anyone run a toyota 4A-GZE (89 MR2, 1.6l 4 cylinder supercharged) on a GM ecm? I'm looking for a MAF based option if one is available.

Quote Originally Posted by ericjon262 View Post
    has anyone run a toyota 4A-GZE (89 MR2, 1.6l 4 cylinder supercharged) on a GM ecm? I'm looking for a MAF based option if one is available.
    I do not have personal experience with a supercharged Toyota.

One possible option for an OBD1 GM computer (with MAF) would be 16183247, which was mostly used for the 94 - 95 Buick V6 supercharged vehicles. Additional information is linked here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...47-16197428-5b

Another possibility (without MAF) would be to install a 2 bar MAP Sensor on OBD1 computer (16197427) so the 0v ~ 5v MAP Sensor will be "Tricked" into providing a voltage with boost.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 11-23-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm trying to stay away from speed density at the moment, I'd also be worried about cam and crank sensor matching as the 4A doesn't use either. a crank trigger is easy enough to add though. cam sensor would be a bit of a PITA to add...

Administrator
    Why not use speed density? There are some v8 MAF applications which could be converted to 4 cyl use with some effort.

$58 from Syclone / turbo Sunbird would likely do the job with speed density. It's working on my 22RTE. The 22RTE and 22RE supply a crank signal through the distributor. How does the 4A ecu get an rpm signal?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Why not use speed density? There are some v8 MAF applications which could be converted to 4 cyl use with some effort.

$58 from Syclone / turbo Sunbird would likely do the job with speed density. It's working on my 22RTE. The 22RTE and 22RE supply a crank signal through the distributor. How does the 4A ecu get an rpm signal?

not sure yet where the crank signal comes from, I assume the distributor, but not 100% sure. Typically MAF will respond better to slight modifications than SD once a tune is created. it's a buddies car, and the stock ECU's aren't tuneable, there's some kind of hack job piggyback thing on it now, and it would be nice to delete all of that and have an ECM control it strait up.

what real benefit would he see going SD? just more accurate fueling/spark control?

not sure yet where the crank signal comes from, I assume the distributor, but not 100% sure. Typically MAF will respond better to slight modifications than SD once a tune is created. it's a buddies car, and the stock ECU's aren't tuneable, there's some kind of hack job piggyback thing on it now, and it would be nice to delete all of that and have an ECM control it strait up.

what real benefit would he see going SD? just more accurate fueling/spark control?
    It comes down to one simple fact, the more you know about tuning an EFI system, more performance you can achieve. Anything and everything else is 100% hear-say information! Do some homework, leave everyone else looking at your tail lights!

Case in point, MAF has be added to the 16197427 TBI PCM. Post # 12.

Edit with the link:http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 11-23-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Administrator
    In this case the primary benefit imo would be the reduced amount of time tuning the ecm. There is potential for performance benefits as well. With the Sunbird code you can reduce spark timing as pressure and temperature increase, there's potential to reduce boost if excessive knock is detected, and you can run low and high octane spark tables. Some of this can be accomplished through the V8 Camaro and Corvette MAF systems but you're forced to do more work before you even start the engine because you have to change the calibration so it will work with a four cylinder engine.

What's the expect horsepower level of this project?

Fuel Injected!
    hp level eventually is probably around 300-350 hp, nothing outrageous. turbo sunbird, that's a thought I hadn't had yet, do you know a ECM part number? is it just a 7730?

The Sunbird used a 1227749, but the same code can be used in a 1227730. I have found sometimes that a couple pins need to be different when using $58/$59 in a '7730 as compared to being used in a '7749.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Some of this can be accomplished through the V8 Camaro and Corvette MAF systems but you're forced to do more work before you even start the engine because you have to change the calibration so it will work with a four cylinder engine.
    I guess I should have asked this in the first post, did GM ever use a MAF based tune with a 4 banger? it sounds like you're saying I'd have to mod V8 Bin files to make it work.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    The Sunbird used a 1227749, but the same code can be used in a 1227730. I have found sometimes that a couple pins need to be different when using $58/$59 in a '7730 as compared to being used in a '7749.

Thanks! I might try to get my buddy to go this route. Gonna start looking up wiring diagrams!

Administrator
    I guess I should have asked this in the first post, did GM ever use a MAF based tune with a 4 banger? it sounds like you're saying I'd have to mod V8 Bin files to make it work.
    Not here in the US, at least as far as I'm aware. The 7165 from early TPI Camaros and Vette's was also available in some four cylinder applications but those were SD.

Fuel Injected!
    Not here in the US, at least as far as I'm aware. The 7165 from early TPI Camaros and Vette's was also available in some four cylinder applications but those were SD.
    LOL, ok, then it looks like we'll be working SD, I figured there was a MAF 4 banger code out there already tried and true.

Fuel Injected!
    plenty of 4age's running on 1227165 ecus on our forum the dizzy is pretty easy to interface with using a GM 7 pin hei module http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtop...lit=4age#p8830 team it up with the 2 or 3 bar aussie modified OSE $12P software and tune away fuel and spark tables to 9600 rpm and 30psi of boost

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    plenty of 4age's running on 1227165 ecus on our forum the dizzy is pretty easy to interface with using a GM 7 pin hei module http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtop...lit=4age#p8830 team it up with the 2 or 3 bar aussie modified OSE $12P software and tune away fuel and spark tables to 9600 rpm and 30psi of boost

Thanks for the link. at this point, I was thinking about convincing my buddy to have a trigger wheel made so he can go DIS. wouldn't be too hard, and would be a big performance upgrade, but if the stock dizzy is interfaced easily enough, than all that would need to be adapted would be a TB with the proper IAC and TPS.