Thread: 302 to 350 conversion question

Carb and Points!

302 to 350 conversion question

Hi , I have a customers car that has come to me from another workshop after a 302 to 350 conversion in a TPI 1985 Camaro Z28 Auto.
    I'm new to using this tech but not new to tuning as such.

I've worked out its a 1227165 ECU using a AUM3236 Chip 01228291 with a $32 XDF which I've found here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-32
    Now the other workshop has fitted larger injectors and tweaked the idle adj screw to get it to run without tuning anything.
    I'm going to size the injectors as I can't find the part number on the net 01D180B Lucas type. Any ideas?

Now whats the best way to go about setting this up? Do I stick to the AUM3236 calibration and adjust the MAF scale for the larger injectors and tune from there
    OR do I load in a 350ci calibration like BUA 86 adjust the MAF scale and tune from there.

Basically the customer just wants his car running how it should without idle and stalling problems etc etc.
    Its a basic crate engine 350ci with std cam so nothing fancy.

I've heard that you can "upgrade" to a $6E xdf and an appropriate bin file that has faster baud rate for datalogging... Can I do this with this ECM or not?

Equipment used is an Ostrich 2, Tunerpro RT, ALDL cable and a Burn 2 and my brain power :)

Thanks for your help
    Mike

I would start with a 350 .bin file. I can't find information on the injectors either. Maybe an adjustable fuel pressure regulator would help the tuning?

Something seems odd to me, 1985 TPI systems used ECM 1226870.

The cold start injector is eliminated with $6E, which has been very helpful with the TPI engine transplants I've done.

Lately, the TPI transplants I've been involved with I've been using to the 1990 ~ 1992 Speed Density (MAP) 1227730 ECM. I'm not a huge fan of tuning the TPI MAF system.

Attached are the correct 1227165 TunerPro RT files for a 5.7 liter to use $6E.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    Hi dave thx for the advice. Do I need to repin anything to get the highr baud rate? To rescale for larger injectors do I just rescale the maf tables...ie there doesn't seem to be a injector scalar anywhere....

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    Hi dave thx for the advice. Do I need to repin anything to get the highr baud rate? To rescale for larger injectors do I just rescale the maf tables...ie there doesn't seem to be a injector scalar anywhere....
    I just realized you are located in New Zealand. There might be differences in the TPI system hardware for vehicles that were exported? As far as I know, all 1227165 ECM's are 8192 baud rate. The only wiring changes I make when using $6E is unplug both the cold start injector and cold start sensor.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Its a usa import.
    And the injector scaling ?
    The silver sticker on the prom says aum3236. I havnt read it as I didnt get the correct header to do so , so I cant see the bin and had to rely on the forum info ....

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    Its a usa import.
    And the injector scaling ?
    The silver sticker on the prom says aum3236. I havnt read it as I didnt get the correct header to do so , so I cant see the bin and had to rely on the forum info ....
    I have aum0122 in my library, attached is a screen shot of the injector settings.

Carb and Points!
    ahhhh many thanks Dave....just trying to find me way around the software :)
    Cheers,.

Mike

Carb and Points!
    Probably doing a rookie mistake but I cant seem to get this to run with anything other than its original calibration in the earlier post Aum3236.. what am I doing wrong.
    Secondly when trying to set up the idle I cant see where u change the iac steps in the calibration to lower the idle ive got the throttle backed right off and the steps don't go lower than 90....
    Last edited by The Alchemist; 11-29-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    you have to set program id to AA or when you make a change the checksum stored in the ecu ram memory wont match the checksum in the chip/emulator and you will default to limp home mode resistor running using no part of the tune in the emulator at all.

Carb and Points!
    Ahhh rito that explains it. And is there an idle reset procedure ir something to drop the idle counts....theres nothing in the calibration table other than a rpm vs temp ....

Fuel Injected!
    all the code bases i use you hold rpm above 2000 rpm iac will reset closed youll hear rpm drop and raise as it closes and opens back up then the ecu will know where 0 steps is and display more real numbers.if the tps is at to many volts it will never hit idle rpm tables will just sit there on cruise iac steps reving away

Carb and Points!
    Hi there Dave, I have been trying to get these files loaded and working in this ECM. I have done a hard reset ( disconnect battery ) before emulating and changed the PROM ID to "AA" before uploading.
    The 2 things that happen are: I crank with no start and when i try to log I get DA connect error with no live data.
    If i load in the original AUM3236 file with a 32 xdf and a 160 baud definition it starts and runs , datalogs etc and I can change things like the MAF in open loop and it responds as expected on the AFR meter.

I would really like to get this to work as the xdf I'm using is very basic and theres a lot of things like idle control I'm trying to get right that simply aren't there to be changed.
    Any ideas,
    regards,
    Mike

I'm hoping the attached "Known Good" $6E files help. I used the attached files to record a data log (.xdl), also attached.

dave w