Thread: Which TBI system is better?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've done a lot of Ca conversions and the rules are something like this. First converting yours... there is no TBI conversion with a C.A.R.B. number so no go. Second you can put a complete engine from the year of the motorhome or newer and smog would be from the new motor... in this case you would be doing a motor transplant from a 1990 Chevy truck.

Having a good freind mechanic get you a sticker is usually the way to go to avoid little nit picking issues of making your 1984 BB a 1990 BB in the end.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I've done a lot of Ca conversions and the rules are something like this. First converting yours... there is no TBI conversion with a C.A.R.B. number so no go. Second you can put a complete engine from the year of the motorhome or newer and smog would be from the new motor... in this case you would be doing a motor transplant from a 1990 Chevy truck.

Having a good freind mechanic get you a sticker is usually the way to go to avoid little nit picking issues of making your 1984 BB a 1990 BB in the end.
    For all they know that engine will be a 1990 454 TBI when it is said and done.

This is just one more thing I can't stand about tree hugging libtards. Anything EFI is going to run cleaner than anything carb. Requiring an EO number to upgrade to EFI is a a leap of futility if your goal is cleaner air and not making $$$. I am glad I don't have to deal with C.A.R.B. I probably would have written them a letter explaining just how stupid they are if I had to deal with them.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, thanks for the info.
    I will try to get a read on the engine casting number that is on the Jasper remanufactured engine, as I doubt its a 1984 vintage unit. That might help me.

I would ask to see if they will plug into the ALDL to verify year of controller. This is what I was getting at earlier about the possibility that the actual ECM/PCM may have an effect on how the vehicle is smogged.

You need to talk to your smog ref, all we have here (for the most part) is speculation, and from what I've read different smog refs interpret the guidelines differently...
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the input guys.
    It does seem really dumb to put restrictions on making any vehicle run CLEANER than it did originally, which adding injection, and and a cat will undoubtedly do..
    In the back of my mind, I know it really makes sense to pull out the BBC and put a earlier Cummins 12v diesel in there and have more twist, more mpg, be done with smog. In the early 90's it was a factory option, and I have photos of the installation so I know it works...

Quote Originally Posted by KeyAir View Post
    <snip> I know it really makes sense to pull out the BBC and put a earlier Cummins 12v diesel in there and have more twist, more mpg, </snip>
    Now you're talkin'...
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyAir View Post
    Ok, thanks for the info.
    I will try to get a read on the engine casting number that is on the Jasper remanufactured engine, as I doubt its a 1984 vintage unit. That might help me.
    They will not be looking for casting numbers... just all the smog stuff on motor working properly.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I would suspect that putting the 87 parts onto the engine and then use the ownership from that truck and the visual proof of the swap in the completed motorhome would get you the approval as a EFI transplant.

Once that far, changing the PCM and add the transmission later. I expect they just do a visual of the engine smog equipment and a tailpipe sniff.

Fuel Injected!
    Almost finished stripping the TBI parts off the Suburban.
    Di I need the fuel pipes that come up to the TB?

I'd keep them, the ends at the tb are hard to duplicate. You can always shorten them later.
    If it has the braided lines then definitely keep em. They're hard to find.
    68 Cadillac, 472 & TH400 w/7.4L TBI and EBL **sold**

93 K1500 short step, 5.7 & NV4500 and EBL

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

The fuel lines can be made, however, they use a special fitting that GM liked to use them (It's called a Sawginaw fitting). Usually this requires fairly expensive flaring tools to make this fitting. Mine cost me about $350 on a deal. So you may want to pull the lines and have them handy to use.

On the flip side many parts stores sell "repair ends" with these fittings and can be used in a swap situation like this. They come in various lengths from 6" to 18".

Fuel Injected!
    So, am in the ongoing march toward the TBI/4L80E swap.

Was at the Junkyard on halfprice day, and grabbed this... for $18...

16197427 BJYL ecu and about as much wiring as I could reach from a "95 Suburban.

Did I get the right one... a TBI/4L80E controller?
    Will this run a 454 TBI from 1987/1990?
    I know I will need more stuff, like the plug for the 4L80E too, but I was looking for the DRAC, and could not find it!
    Where is teh DRAC???