Thread: From Texas I'm a newbie here!!

Electronic Ignition!

From Texas I'm a newbie here!!

Hi guys I am dong a TBI to TPI swap in my 90 chevy truck I will be having a lot of question on wiring heard a lot about this forum all good all good so hope to read some great info here!!

Do your plans include using a TPI computer?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Yes the computer and harness came with the engine it's a L98 5.7 from a Firebird Formula here's a pic of it I had it creamic coated and polished I'm just wondering how the intergration of the harness's are going to go from TBI to TPI any help here would be gladly appreciated

[QUOTE=dave w;45489]

Do your plans include using a TPI computer?

dave w[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Txwildman View Post
    Yes the computer and harness came with the engine it's a L98 5.7 from a Firebird Formula here's a pic of it I had it creamic coated and polished I'm just wondering how the intergration of the harness's are going to go from TBI to TPI any help here would be gladly appreciated
    I helped with a similar conversion (1990 TBI 305 Camaro to TPI 5.7 Liter) in the summer of 2013. The quick description of what I did was re-pin the TBI computer connectors into the TPI computer connectors. I had a few wires to solder splice under the hood like the injector wiring. I had all the wiring done in less than a day (I'm not a novice at wiring). I needed to salvage a few connectors from the TPI engine harness and solder splice them into the TBI harness, like the injectors.

Most all of the engine management circuits are identical, TPI vs. TBI. Circuits like TPS, IAC, CTS, MAP, ESC, EST, IAC, injectors, battery power, ignition power, ground, and distributor wiring are the same TPI vs. TBI.

Here is a link on how to remove and replace computer pins. http://www.dynamicefi.com/RePinHowTo.php

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks Dave I opened the discussion in the forum I really appreciate the link I know I'm going to have a lot of question concerning the wiring so hope to see some of your comments thanks again!!