Thread: 68 Cadillac TBI

68 Cadillac 472 TBI conversion

So, I've been wanting to post up some pics of my money vacuum. Billy Graves finally talked me into it.

I had this car for a couple of years, I was running the stock Q-jet and wanting to do another TBI conversion. I've owned a few 67-72 Chevy trucks and had done a 7747 swap on a 454 with one of them. I wanted that easy drivability with the caddy. Not knowing any better, I contacted TBIChips and he told me it would never work. I believed that for while but eventually I figured BS when I talked to Brian at 3rd gen and found this site.

I got a TBI system from a 93 454 suburban, repined it for the 7747 since I didn't need the trans control with the 7060. Maybe I'll run the 7060 on something else someday...

I'm running the stock 50k mile shortblock Caddy 472, redid the heads with new valves, 3 angle, and springs to match a mild upgrade cam. Added a 2.5" dual exhaust to help those cubes breathe with the new cam.

The car is actually pretty nice looking and I wanted to keep it stock looking for the most part.

I adapted my MSD dist to work with the ESC module; I already had it, and there's no off-the-shelf 7-pin dist for a caddy.

I used the Holley TBI adapter, the Trans-dapt didn't quite cover the IAC passage.

Here's some pics from the start of the install. Sorry for the quality, cell phone pics are all I have from the garage.

And no, I didn't leave the wiring looking like ass for very long :)
    Last edited by blue68deville; 10-29-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    68 Cadillac, 472 & TH400 w/7.4L TBI and EBL **sold**

93 K1500 short step, 5.7 & NV4500 and EBL

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

The Caddy air cleaner has a hell of an offset to the rear so it can clear the a/c compressor. Makes for a weird mount to get the wingnut on, that's the aluminum plate above the injectors. I also got lucky and found a 1" spacer that set it on just right.
    I wasn't going to run any other kind of air cleaner, just wouldn't look right to me. I also like the weird breather elbow/can assembly.
    I may add a second snorkel, I have an extra lying around...

I used a Painless 7 circuit box to run all the add-ons. It made for a compact install on the hood hinge brace with the fuel pump relay and a relay for TH400 kickdown.

I wanted everything to hide under the air cleaner, it does pretty well.

Now I need to get a nice set of u-make-em plug wires and tidy that up.
    Last edited by blue68deville; 10-29-2014 at 06:26 AM.

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

When I rebuilt the TBI, I figured the 472 would need more fuel than a 454. Especially with the 93 injectors. So I made my own adjustable regulator, CSOB style. The motor seems to like 14psi.

I have a rubber grommet in there at the base, just no pic.

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

I initially set up the fuel pump to pull thru the original sender and a clear inline filter. It really didn't work well. I always had cavitation bubbles in the filter and would suck air at a half tank.

The Caddy tank is HUGE and very shallow, so I decided to use a weld on sump. That improved things greatly.

I used PEX fittings in the sump, they had the largest ID. Made a pre-filter out of some window screen, soldered on a short strand of thick copper wire to secure it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

Looks nice. I like seeing people add FI to older vehicles to bring them into modern times. Those big caddy motors are torque makers! I have a disassembled and in need of rebuild 500 setting in my storage shed. My hopes is to rebuild it one day and swap it into my 79 cherokee. But when I do it, it will be MPFI.

For spark plug wires, I am really happy with the accel universial kits. I have them on 3 of my 4 jeeps (the 4th used COP) and have had no issues with them. I love being able to cut them to the perfect length, makes for so much nicer and cleaner of a install. I will never go back to off the shelf kits ever again.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by blue68deville View Post
    So, I've been wanting to post up some pics of my money vacuum. Billy Graves finally talked me into it.

I had this car for a couple of years, I was running the stock Q-jet and wanting to do another TBI conversion. I've owned a few 67-72 Chevy trucks and had done a 7747 swap on a 454 with one of them. I wanted that easy drivability with the caddy. Not knowing any better, I contacted TBIChips and he told me it would never work. I believed that for while but eventually I figured BS when I talked to Brian at 3rd gen and found this site.

I got a TBI system from a 93 454 suburban, repined it for the 7747 since I didn't need the trans control with the 7060. Maybe I'll run the 7060 on something else someday...

I'm running the stock 50k mile shortblock Caddy 472, redid the heads with new valves, 3 angle, and springs to match a mild upgrade cam. Added a 2.5" dual exhaust to help those cubes breathe with the new cam.

The car is actually pretty nice looking and I wanted to keep it stock looking for the most part.

I adapted my MSD dist to work with the ESC module; I already had it, and there's no off-the-shelf 7-pin dist for a caddy.

I used the Holley TBI adapter, the Trans-dapt didn't quite cover the IAC passage.

Here's some pics from the start of the install. Sorry for the quality, cell phone pics are all I have from the garage.

And no, I didn't leave the wiring looking like ass for very long :)
    The part about the caddy distributor is not exactly accurate. While I am glad you got it working correctly, for future reference the 1980-1981 Digital Fuel Injected 368 engines used a distributor with a 7 pin module and no mechanical/vacuum advance. You can get one remanufactured by A1 Cardone at Napa, Oreillys, or Autozone. I do love the stock points distributor look.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...899_0407407957
    Last edited by Fast355; 10-29-2014 at 05:03 PM.

JeepsAndGuns; I'll have to get one of those Accel kits, all I see when I pop the hood are those damn plug wires. I'll also probably get the GM crate BBC plug wire loom set. It's cheap and could be used on almost anything with a few tweaks to the brackets.
    When you build the 500, get ahold of MTS (http://www.500cid.com/) they are the experts and are very helpful. You can find a ton of info at the Cadillac power forum also. http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/i...213b08ebc00b83 You will have fun breaking drivetrain parts with a 500 in the Jeep.

Fast355; I did see that dist, but wasn't sure if the ecu would be compatible with that style module. I figured I'd rather not take a chance for the price. Plus I wasn't sure if I would have clearance issues with my early 2 belt a/c pulley. The later HEI's don't always clear. And I like the points look too.

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

Quote Originally Posted by blue68deville View Post
    JeepsAndGuns; I'll have to get one of those Accel kits, all I see when I pop the hood are those damn plug wires. I'll also probably get the GM crate BBC plug wire loom set. It's cheap and could be used on almost anything with a few tweaks to the brackets.
    When you build the 500, get ahold of MTS (http://www.500cid.com/) they are the experts and are very helpful. You can find a ton of info at the Cadillac power forum also. http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/i...213b08ebc00b83 You will have fun breaking drivetrain parts with a 500 in the Jeep.
    Ha ha, yea I have both those site bookmarked already. So much stuff you can do to those things. But that engine is years away from being built. I am currently still collecting parts to build a set of 1 tons, as well as swap in a NV4500/NP205.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

So first things last, I guess. I had a request for pics of the whole car.

First is when I bought it, the paint was very dead but the car had been stored for years. It only had 48k miles on it. The last year it was stored outside and really killed the paint per the previous owner. I guess it had always been garaged until then, the interior looks like it. He bought it from a dealer that took it in trade from the original owners. That was around 1990. He didn't do much with it, just left it in the pole barn and ran it occasionally. For like 20 years...

Then I bought it, replaced all the suspension rubber, tires, brakes, etc. I started driving it 2-3 times a week just to see what would come up next. It ran ok for a while, had some leaks but nothing crazy yet. We had one of these when I was a kid, I had always wanted one, and wanted this car to look nice. My family can all pile in it so I decided to sell off a pickup project I had to finance a paintjob. It was totally worth it.

Before

After

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped