Thread: 7747 ecm weather resistance

Fuel Injected!

7747 ecm weather resistance

So my original mount location for my ecm will not work. Can I mount it inside the kick panel, with the top of tne area open to the cowl? I seriously doubt any direct water would get in there, but dust/ humidity etc will.

Your really looking for trouble, I would not try it. Water at all will kill it and the area sounds justnto open.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Agree with Mark, there's a reason that GM mounted those ECMs inside the dash in the vehicles they did, away from elements.

What vehicle is this going in. We may be able to give you ideas on alternate locations.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

billygraves
    Quote Originally Posted by dusterbd13 View Post
    So my original mount location for my ecm will not work. Can I mount it inside the kick panel, with the top of tne area open to the cowl? I seriously doubt any direct water would get in there, but dust/ humidity etc will.
    I agree with the others, 100%. This is what happened to me. I had a 93 sunbird with a 2.0L. Since I work at GM, I can't leave anything alone. Anyway, I put on a small extension harness so I could have the ECM easy to change the PROM, after I soldered in a ZIF socket. Spark, fan temps and some closed loop timers with a heated O2. Since the car was in Michigan SALT bath in the winter, the cowl began to leak/RUST. One DROP of WATER landed on the PROM LEGS and the engine STALLED and would not start until i blew off the drop of water. ONE DROP OF WATER will stall your engine and could do more damage. Also the Salt is in the air and will end up on the terminal ends on your ECM IF you live in such a place or near the coast.

When I was in the Marine Group on an assignment, there were stories of what FORD did for their Marine ECM. They took a Truck ECM, turned up upside down and put a baggie over it with a Zip tie. I wouldn't take that vessel across the bay, any bay. Salt water will find it's way in everything and ruin your day. Needless to say the Ford Marine ECM was short lived. The men at a Florida marina got a big kick out of it were the marine tests were conducted.