Thread: Moates G1 Adapter/EX Remote Switch questions

Moates G1 Adapter/EX Remote Switch questions

1) When using the G1 Adapter on the 730 ECM - is a MEMCAL required or will it start with only the burned prom? If not, can a 305 MEMCAL be used to run a 350 with the adapter?

2) When using the Moates EX Remote Switch can BIN's be swapped on the fly or is it better to switch with key on engine off?

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    I'll chime in but am not an expert. In general you should use the same sort of MEMCAL since the MEMCAL contains circuitry tuned to your engine (for the knock sensor in particular).

I would not try to start it without ANY memcal.

If you dont have one for the 350- I think the 305 will be ok. I have had to run my 454 with a 350 memcal on that adapter until I found a 454 memcal.

Don't know about the EX switch but I suspect it is fine to do it real time... at least that is what I would do :)

Super Moderator
    i could be wrong, but i believe to use the EX switch, you need to be using a G3, not a G1.

i don't remember any G1 adapters that i've had in-hand having the little plug that the EX ribbon cable plugs into like on the G3 i have.

i've switched BINs with the engine running, that's actually why i have it, being able to swap calibration changes without restarting, kind of like a emulator with predefined settings. as long as you don't switch masks(or any other kind of code changes) while running, it shouldn't be a problem.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

You are correct Robert, the G1 will not work with the EX switch.

The G3 is needed for a P4 style ECM with bin switching. I haven't used my G3 yet (I've had it for a few years too. lol), but depending on th ECM and code you're using you may only be able to switch between 2 bins if you are using a 27SF512 (or other 512 kb EEPROM), and to switch between more bins you need a larger EEPROM, such as the AM29F040B.

The MEMCAL is needed for the knock filter and LHM sections of the MEMCAL. An engine will usually start without the MEMCAL, but will not run well, due to some of the hardware calibration settings that are needed from the MEMCAL.

The knock filter I believe is a little different between the 305 and 350 MEMCALs, but would be close enough to get you going, and would be better than none at all. Be careful that you use the correct application for the MEMCAl. What I mean by that is don't use a TBI 8 cylinder MEMCAL on an MPFI application or visa-versa. (There are ways to make it work, but unless that's absolutely needed I'd rather just leave it at this.)
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Thanks guys...probably should have noted that the questions were not related. Just wanted to know if I could start a TPI car with just a prom, if not could I use a 305 "TPI" MAF MEMCAL on a 350 MAF TPI engine with the G1 Adapter..since that's all I have. (Have a collection of 350 Speed Density TPI MEMCALs)

Second question was not related to the first one, just wanted to know if the Moates EX Switch ie mounted on a G3 can be switched on the fly. The G1 doesn't have a manual or external switch and doesn't have the larger capacity prom.
    Last edited by EDZIP; 10-03-2014 at 02:13 PM.