Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spectra Fuel Sender

Spectra Fuel Sender

I recently had what I thought was a fuel pump failure, until I went to install the new fuel pump and tested it before installed. The old pump ran on a 9v battery, but I figured maybe knocking it around got it going. So I installed the new pump in the sender, hooked up wires, nothing. I ran a test light and got it to light off the harness and it was getting 12v...but I figured something else was wrong. so on the bench, I dug into the harness. The power wire/connector going to the pump was melted. I heard good and bad about Spectra, unfortunately its all Advance auto stocks...I could wait and over pay from the dealer which is probably going to be Dorman. Anyone have any similar issues? should I try another Spectra or get a Dorman or oem GM?

BTW, I an running a sender for a 95k1500, with a 96 pump to the get the higher pressure, would a 96 sender work? from looking at the pictures it looks like it might but I was curious if anyone tried this or not.

BLG
    My Build: 95 K1500, 355ci w/ OEM roller setup - zero decked, Eagle steel crank, Scat bushed H-beam rods, Speed Pro 2V flat top pistons - Rotating assembly balanced. Dart 165cc Iron Eagle S/S heads - 72cc chambers - 1.94 / 1.50 valves. Isky roller cam - 204/209 dur @ .050 - .480/.496 lift with Comp Magnum 1.6 rockers, Edelbrock 3704 intake - Bored to 52mm - 454 throttle body, Delco EP381 fuel pump @ 18 psi running through 80# 454 injectors. Hedman Headers into 3" Dynomax exhaust.

Fuel Injected!
    a lot of new pumps come with wires that go from the pump to the pump holder is that where you wire was melted?

It was were the wires come through the top of the hanger. There is a 4 wire connector that clips on that is melted on the power wire, and the actual part in the hanger is melted too. The Spectra sender is already an updated one, supposedly. The wiring going to the pump was heavier than the wiring included in the kit that came with the pump. But the connectors and the wire ends are very soft and I was bending them taking it apart. I will post some pictures, it's melted pretty good.
    My Build: 95 K1500, 355ci w/ OEM roller setup - zero decked, Eagle steel crank, Scat bushed H-beam rods, Speed Pro 2V flat top pistons - Rotating assembly balanced. Dart 165cc Iron Eagle S/S heads - 72cc chambers - 1.94 / 1.50 valves. Isky roller cam - 204/209 dur @ .050 - .480/.496 lift with Comp Magnum 1.6 rockers, Edelbrock 3704 intake - Bored to 52mm - 454 throttle body, Delco EP381 fuel pump @ 18 psi running through 80# 454 injectors. Hedman Headers into 3" Dynomax exhaust.

Here are some pictures of my new mess

I don't want to have to pull the tank again in another year...hopefully the Dorman or GM hanger is built much better.

BLG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ouch. Last year I had to change my fuel pump in the truck. The first trip I took in it, It blew the fuse for the fuel pump. I thought at first it was a bad pump, but it turned out to be a shorted wire in the harness that was causing the problem. Took me a week to find it.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!
    I have seen several pumps do that,the problem dragging pump, wires not fitting tight enough when plugged on? if you have new wires and you can get them out of the connector I would crimp the new ones a little and see if the fit the little pins tight before you reinstall them back in the connector.lose fitting connection is what it looks like to me.

Fuel Injected!
    Pay the extra for the Delphi/Delco pump. If you have an Oreillys or Bumper to Bumper close, they should be able to get you one. Ask them to give you a shop price on it, see if they will cut you some slack. Sometimes Oreillys will cut you some slack if you talk real nice to them, try to talk to a manager or assistant manager as they will have the ability to take care of you to make you a happy customer.

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Have you tried rock auto? I have gotten to where I dont buy from big parts chain stores anymore. They usally have a poor selection of brands, and poor quality brands at that. Rockauto seems to always have a large selection of brands and quality parts from cheaper economy, daily driver/stock, and high performance or better than stock. And at a much cheaper price to boot.

I looked up your 95 truck, and they list a bosch for $147, and a delphi for $148. This is the complete in tank unit. 96 looks about the same, and only 1-2 dollars difference in price from the 95.

That sender you have looks scary. Seeing something like that coming out of a fuel tank makes you think you were driving around a bomb. It does kinda look like a bad connection, maybe on top of a pump pulling a little too much power?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I called dealer who I use through work for almost everything, they are one of the few dealers I know that is really fantastic. They are a little more than Rock Auto for a Delco unit, but they have it on the shelf and are 10 minutes away so I am going to grab it today.

The wiring on the Spectra unit seemed good, but the connectors are very cheap and were bending as I was messing with them. The power wire on it looked heavier than the replacement harness that came with the pump, and I cut the power wire to verify that it just wasn't heavy insulting, which it did actually have a heavier gauge wire. I used a Spectra tank which seemed really well built, I'm disappointed in the hanger though. I have a Carter pump from Napa which I bought because it is made in the USA. I already swapped the pump out under warranty, but I did notice the old pump had a bit of a growl to it and vibrated a lot more than the replacement I got, the design looks a just little different. Maybe it was drawing too many amps and melted it down.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by BLG355 View Post
    I called dealer who I use through work for almost everything, they are one of the few dealers I know that is really fantastic. They are a little more than Rock Auto for a Delco unit, but they have it on the shelf and are 10 minutes away so I am going to grab it today.

The wiring on the Spectra unit seemed good, but the connectors are very cheap and were bending as I was messing with them. The power wire on it looked heavier than the replacement harness that came with the pump, and I cut the power wire to verify that it just wasn't heavy insulting, which it did actually have a heavier gauge wire. I used a Spectra tank which seemed really well built, I'm disappointed in the hanger though. I have a Carter pump from Napa which I bought because it is made in the USA. I already swapped the pump out under warranty, but I did notice the old pump had a bit of a growl to it and vibrated a lot more than the replacement I got, the design looks a just little different. Maybe it was drawing too many amps and melted it down.
    Its more likely that it is bad wiring causing the pump to draw too many amps. To make the same power on less voltage the pump will draw more amps. I recently installed a new pump in the 97 Express. Found out that the pump was still not pumping enough fuel at WOT. The capacity of the pump should have been adequate for my engine. Checked a little closer and I was running at 3-4 volts under the alternators output. Added a Racetronix fuel pump Hotwire kit that powers the pump directly from the alternator via a 10 gauge wire and 30 amp relay and upgrades the fuel pump to chassis ground at the same time. With proper voltage I have more fuel than I know what to do with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Its more likely that it is bad wiring causing the pump to draw too many amps. To make the same power on less voltage the pump will draw more amps. I recently installed a new pump in the 97 Express. Found out that the pump was still not pumping enough fuel at WOT. The capacity of the pump should have been adequate for my engine. Checked a little closer and I was running at 3-4 volts under the alternators output. Added a Racetronix fuel pump Hotwire kit that powers the pump directly from the alternator via a 10 gauge wire and 30 amp relay and upgrades the fuel pump to chassis ground at the same time. With proper voltage I have more fuel than I know what to do with.
    Which pump and how much pressure do you run? This is something I should probably do.

The differences between the GM hanger and the aftermarket are totally amazing. I was hoping I wasn't overpaying, but it's worth the extra money for the GM one. I have found this with tons of things over the years, but I didn't think a fuel pump hanger would be that important. The ohms are acutally better too in the level sender. The Spectra would read 102-105(it varied each time I ran it up and down) full, 8-8.5 empty. The GM unit reads 90.8 full and .4 empty, so much better, especially on the empty side. The gauge of the steel is almost twice that of the Spectra and connectors, wiring, and terminals is all of real quality. I might do what Fast355 did and run a separate relay right off the hot post up front, but I am pretty convinced the Spectra is junk, especially after comparing it to the GM hanger. I took some pictures of both side by side, I will post them tonight.

Back up and running!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barry - did you end up buying a hanger for the '95 or '96? Have a P/N?

I got it for a 95. P/N 19111396. Some websites says it works in various vehicles up to 99 but I know they changed in 97 to the plastic stuff. I just hope this one holds up better. Everything on it seems a lot better so I hope.

BLG