Thread: Intake Suggestion

Electronic Ignition!

Intake Suggestion

I need to replace my intake gaskets and wanted to possibly replace the intake with a better one, running stock intake now. I have searched, but not really found which would be best for towing. The Edelbrock TBI intake is out, just too expensive. The Weiand 7525 has been mentioned on several places, but that one is impossible to find. Have seen several running either a Performer or Performer RPM, but there again they haven't really said if there was much difference from one to the other. Also, was wondering about the effects on engine cooling as most all carb. intakes don't have the crossover for coolant at the rear of heads. This also leads to having to re-plumb the heater hose. Any suggestions? See signature for current setup.
    1994 Chevrolet K2500 (6-lug), 5.7/NV4500, 3.73 gear, ultimate TBI mods, MAF,VAPR, Caddy TBI hat, Vortec airbox, Flowmaster exhaust 40 series 3"in/2 1/2" out, Flowmaster y-pipe, under-drive crank pulley, headers, 4-wire O2, TPI fuel pump, MSD 6AL, 16197427 $0D MAF Manual tune.

I decided to modify the original TBI intake on my 93 K1500 when I upgraded to a 454 throttle body. I bored the throttle bores to 54mm, then did some radius / blending of the throttle bores. See attached pictures. Maybe the low cost performance option is to do some radius / blending of the throttle bores on your stock intake?

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    I ran a performer rpm on a fairly stock TBI engine in my van. After tuning the AE (added about 50%) and VE tables it made a very noticeable power difference from 1,500 rpm through redline. With 1.6:1 rockers and the stock cam/heads and long tube headers I was letting the 700r4 shift about 5,500 rpm.

Fuel Injected!
    With the stock cam I'd say a Performer with a TBI adapter plate would work well.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    With the stock cam I'd say a Performer with a TBI adapter plate would work well.
    If you have the hood clearance a RPM will work better! There is ZERO low-end torque difference between a Performer and a Performer RPM on a stock internal TBI 350. The Performer RPM has runners that better match the TBI head ports and offer slightly raised, longer runners and better mid-range torque and top-end HP.

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have been leaning toward the RPM intake, but wasn't sure since I was looking for something to help with towing and didn't want to lose any low end. But, if I understand correctly with fuel injection the effective rpm ranges are not as critical due to not having to draw the fuel out of a carburetor vs the fuel being sprayed. But, I guess mid range is where I really need help anyway, I have a deep low to get moving, biggest issues are headwinds and hills while towing. I am thinking about swapping the cam, but I keep thinking I should just save up for a new motor as this one has 310,000 miles on it, so I will probably go with the RPM. At least I could swap the intake to a new motor. Thanks again for the help, this site is awesome.
    1994 Chevrolet K2500 (6-lug), 5.7/NV4500, 3.73 gear, ultimate TBI mods, MAF,VAPR, Caddy TBI hat, Vortec airbox, Flowmaster exhaust 40 series 3"in/2 1/2" out, Flowmaster y-pipe, under-drive crank pulley, headers, 4-wire O2, TPI fuel pump, MSD 6AL, 16197427 $0D MAF Manual tune.