Thread: New member

Carb and Points!

Hi all new member here. I was looking for information on converting my 86 Caprice Landau to TPI and found this site. After reading for a few days I decided to join. I have to say there is quite a lot of good information available. Some info about my self. I am a semi retired farmer about to turn 65 this month and have been into cars since my early teens. I have always been a GM guy mostly Chevys. Have built street rods, restored muscle cars did some drag racing in my early years and am now knee deep on a full frame off restoration on a 57 Chevy 2 Dr Ht. Will be powered by a 57 283 270 hp 2X4 engine with some old school hot rod tricks and also a T5 5 speed. I do all my own work including paint and body.The reason I joined is to get more info and help on my Caprice TPI swap. I have a 91 L98 5.7 for it. I have installed Vortec heads, A SDPC Vortec TPI manifold base, a Comp Cams 08-300-8 Cam. I have a conversion wire harness that will plug into the Caprice wire harness and a 7730 computer with a modded prom with vats removed. From my research I have determined that I will probably need to have a chip burned to get the best performance and mileage out of it. My goal is a good running daily driver that can get good fuel economy. This car only has 24,000 miles and is rust free and in fantastic condition, It has every factory option available in 1986. It is Dark Red Metallic inside and out and with the 15X8 Polished American TT wheels and 255/60 and 275/60 tires is a real eye catcher. The wife have taken this car on many road trips including a 2,500 mile trip to Texas and back this summer. It is a great ride. When I start the swap this winter I am sure I will have many questions for the experts here. Thanks.
    Tom

The Caprice sounds like a nice project!

TunerPro RT is a good starting point on learning how to do the TPI tuning yourself.

dave w

Carb and Points!