Thread: First time programming plans

Fuel Injected!

First time programming plans

Hey guys, this will be my first post here. I've been over a bunch of different forums the last few months and yours ends up having the most to contribute. I like the varying nature of programming here.

Here is my vehicle:

1994 GMC T15 Jimmy 16196395 BHRJ ECU (I have a few different ecu's, this is the one on my desk I'm working with)
    4.3 CPI 4l60e 3.42 gears 4x4

Like most of us I wanted more power so I purchased the 10psi wynjammer kit. It was awesome but the belt alignment issues frustrated me. The noise frustrated my wife, and the fear of a lean engine destruction condition tipped the scales.

I sold the kit and decided that an LS swap was in my distant future. I'll drive her as she is until the engine explodes and then do my ls swap.

My programming goals:

Kill ac compressor under certain conditions: EG: overtemp, WOT, etc
    Control electric fans based on many variables (I found some programming online that does exactly this)
    Valet mode, winch mode, sleep mode, etc.
    Wideband feeding the ecu: I'd like my ecu to read my wideband directly instead of it's emulated narrowband output. (MTX-L)

We do a lot of camping on off-road trails. We want to sleep in the car on hot nights with the ac on but worry about overheating the engine. I saw some code that would idle the engine up when the voltage drops to help with winching. I am working on a dual alternator mod placing an auxiliary alternator in the smog pump position (bracket I scored at the junkyard). Hoping to be able to possibly have the ecu control the second alternator as well.

Anyways I just wanted to thank you all for the 200+ threads I've read through. I've already come away with a ton of knowledge and hopefully can share what I learn with others to help them out.

Added a picture of my baby hooked up to a uhaul. Helped a friend move from Houston, TX to Atlanta, GA a few weeks ago. 75mph @ 11mpg running 12:1ish fuel ratio in D. I'm guessing this is "power enrichment". Reduced speeds to say 60mph got me back to 14.7:1 but would every 3 seconds or so hit 12-1. LOTS TO LEARN STILL!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    first test.jpgI just used my memcal readout header to pull the stock bin from my above ecu. I then burned that bin to the chip from moates.net and mounted it on the memcal header. Cranked the truck and came back inside depressed. Turned out keying the chip is backwards on the memcal header than it is on the apu1 that I use to burn stuff. Flipped the chip 180* and truck cranked right up with the stock bin!

Now for breaking stuff!

Marked my eeprom and reader/memcal adapters with a silver sharpie on the corners so I won't install it reversed again. This time I put it in the apu1 and after the erase, blank check kept failing I noticed significant heat on the eeprom surface. I pulled the plug and flipped it after re-reading instructions.

Once done I attempted to change 3 settings in tunerprort

1: tick the box for a/c clutch control (despite reading not used on v8 and v6 tbi)
    2: set a/C Clutch on to off tps @ 80% and off to on @ 70%

Went outside and tested it but still not turning off. Tried this with the vehicle running and off, no clutch changes.

Not having much luck with modifying this ecu I pulled the one out of the vehicle: SERV.NO 16197427 BJYL however the chip has markings of BPLB.

Started to try and figure out how to disable the ac clutch under 80% throttle and up but doesn't appear to be working, so I went head first into modifying hex code to add efan logic to my ecu. I don't know how this works so hopefully I've done it correctly.

The efan code I'm using is located at http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...n-code-0d.html .

I asked a friend who speaks "code" and got his help figuring out how to get hex code going. Turned out that the adressing spaces start at 0-f so I didn't figure out how to use the "Value at address 7C6F ". My next concern is the fact that I have a cpi and it is using the pin that controls my Intake Manifold Tuning Valve. Will It ground the fan to turn it on and when I hit the 3500 or so RPM the ecu will apply 12v to that wire as well? This concerns me greatly.

Needed to hit the grocery store. Tossed in my junkyard special 16196395 BHRJ ECU

That was not lovely experience. Wife was driving so she didn't accidently the hanging core of my electrical system on the passenger floorboard. Check engine light kicked on when we hit the freeway, wideband was in the 15's and climbing slowly. Nearly hit 17's and we exited, the ratios richened up to normal at about 30mph and the check engine light went out. Tried to pull a code (using a cheap code reader not my scanner) but the ses light just flashed really fast with the engine running. KOEO got a code 12. As we started loading groceries I realized I had my 427 ecu so I just swapped that back in and drove home fully functional and normal.

Learning a lot about why noone seems to support the CPI. Beat my head against the laptop a few times today working on the datalogging aspect of tunerpro. Finally got it working. Had to use the following files to get her to read via my apu01:
    A218_0D_Trans1_v250.adx
    Advanced $0D TP5 v251.xdf
    my stock 16197427 bin.

Then I went into the settings in tunerpro and pointed to the com port that the autoprom becomes when you connect it. Most of my troubleshooting was in vain because it goes to sleep when not in use.

Wifes krogering, I'm in the parking lot enjoying cold ac and tunes. Here is my setup.

Jotto desk bolted to the trans tunnel.
    Dell E6220 12.5" laptop mounted on the desk.
    1/8 out to the head unit for audio playing via winamp. Remapped tilde for play/pause and f1 for next track. Plays the library random.
    usb gps feeding data to MS streets and trips mapping software
    usb logitech 720p camera setup to reord like a dash cam via Debut Video Capture software <---Poorly suited to the task
    usb cable for the autoprom currently doing datalogging via tunerpro rt

attached to krogers wifi typing this up.

I miss my d420's dock that stayed in the vehicle and interfaced all of my cables. Pull 1 lever and walk away with the laptop leaving carthieves SOL as the dock was 20 bucks. New laptop gotta unplug everything when I get in/out.
    Last edited by uhlhazard; 09-01-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: updated