Thread: tbi 350 to 5.7 vortec swap: stupid questions

Fuel Injected!

tbi 350 to 5.7 vortec swap: stupid questions

so I was running a mild 350, 700r4, planning to go with a stock TBI and electronics and intake. using the 95 chevy truck ecm reflashed for the 700r4. intank pump and assembly from a 97 monte carlo 3.4 dohc adapted to my fuel tank. (its actually going in a daily driven pro-touring 64 elcamino)

anyway, the body shop where the truck has been for the past year did not add antifreeze to the system, and cracked the block. this thing is now a boat anchor.
    I have a line on a fresh 5.7 vortec motor for a reasonable cost. comes with a mild cam (unsure of specs, but the seller states that its the biggest you can go with a stock converter. comes with stock cam as well). also comes with a carb intake for the vortec heads.

im wondering what all I will need to do to adapt the tbi setup in here. I've seen the gmpp tbi intake, but that costs more than the motor. I've also seen the tbi to squarebore adapters, which would make perfect sense to me as I have a carb intake. what do I then do about the tv linkage for the 700r4?

do my accessories bolt up? (stock serpentine assembly from an 89 4.3 blazer)
    do my exhaust manifold fit?
    is it a different starter, flexplate, torque converter, etc?
    I've been searching all day, and have been unable to find the answers. so im asking.
    thanks for the wonderful board, guys.

Fuel Injected!
    Ya, put an adapter plate onto the carb intake. You can probably use the TV cable bracket but if it doesn't fit then make it work by modifying it or buy a universal bracket that works.

The accessories should work. Your flexplate won't work if your old block was a 2-piece main rear seal block. Get a flexplate that matches the size of the starter you have. 153 tooth for a straight across bolt pattern or 168 tooth for an offset bolt pattern. Should be able to find one for $50 or less from a transmission shop or a place like Summit.

I really don't know on the exhaust manifolds. I was thinking the exhaust ports were raised more too but that may not be true.

Fuel Injected!
    The serpentine belt assembly will bolt up. The Exhaust on the TBI heads and the Vortecs match up fine.
    You will have to do some work on the throttle linkage to mount on the Vortec Intake, just some bending and possibly elongating some holes. When I did my swap, I put studs in the mounts that I would need, tighten down the intake, then mount the linkage to to the top of the studs. Also you will probably need to make a new mount for the coil, and possibly redo the MAP mount. Not big deals, just little things that need to be changed.
    I have a TBI adapter if you are interested.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ancer-for-sale

PM me if you are interested.

Fuel Injected!
    I modified a stock TBI throttle/TV bracket, believe I welded up the front hole and redrilled it to fit the vortec intake. Used ARP Vortec intake bolts, worked out well. I bought this squarebore to tbi adapter plate, pricey but a nice piece.

Fuel Injected!
    Another thing to consider, make sure you have melonized distributor gear to match up with the steel roller cam. ACDelco 19052845 Distributor Shaft Gear.