Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a LT1 $EE ADS file from ALDL DS file?

My Scantool will do all messages for engine, but I need to reconnect to do trans. So...

And!
    Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    Only one message can be used at a time.

It is possible to have different macros for each message in the same adx, but you would need to change between macros and have different screens set-up for each message. Also, you would have to remember which screens were correct with the message being used. To much trouble in my opinion. This is why I did two different transmission adx files for $0D.
    Since you an only have one message at a time, then would have to have a list view for that message. So in the same adx you could have say three connections, but then change to list view for that connection...

So my question is can you rewrite the MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 0)?

Or could you rewrite MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 0) to be all engine data and bitmasks with list view on one adx.
    and
    Rewrite MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 1) to be all trans data and bitmasks?

Or could you rewrite MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 0) to include all data and bitmasks? That would be the nice way.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    One is "MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 2)" says "DATA BYTE 53" but at the end it says "BYTES 36-53 NOT USED" so should it be 53 or 35?
    I'm not sure, it's been a while since I worked with this. I think you can do it either way, I'd try it both ways and see what happens.

Next is from your $OD. ALDL says:
    MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM)
    ALDL REQUEST:
    - MESSAGE ID = $F4
    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $57
    - MODE = $01
    - MESSAGE = $00
    - SUM CHECK
    THE PCM WILL RESPOND WITH THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:
    - MESSAGE ID = $F4
    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $95
    - MODE = $01
    - DATA BYTE 1
    - DATA BYTE 63
    - SUM CHECK

In your adx it has Payload size 63, payload offset 3 which adds up to 66 but earlier in this thread you are supposed to add the 1 Data Byte from above which would be 67 and that is what yours has for Body Size.

When I look back to original EE.adx it never added the 1 in body size...
    I remember having to do some fiddling with that. Seems there is a difference between the TP4 ads and TP5 adx formats. When a ads is converted it doesn't add the 1 byte. Also, after I did the $0D files there was a discussion on TGO about this, seems most people were fixing the problem with a silence command or something, but Greg Moates thought adding the 1 byte was the best way. I'll look for that thread later today.

Vintage Methane Ejector
    And! Since you an only have one message at a time, then would have to have a list view for that message. So in the same adx you could have say three connections, but then change to list view for that connection...
    Exactly! But if your planing to share the adx with ever one, this may be a little much for the average noob.

So my question is can you rewrite the MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 0)?

Or could you rewrite MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 0) to be all engine data and bitmasks with list view on one adx.
    and
    Rewrite MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 1) to be all trans data and bitmasks?

Or could you rewrite MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 0) to include all data and bitmasks? That would be the nice way.
    Yes, all of this can be modified. All of the DS info is part of the calibration. You would rewrite this the same way you would rewrite any other part of the bin. Having a well commented hack would be a must.
    What you would wind-up with, is a custom adx that only works with your bin.
    Last edited by 93V8S10; 12-11-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Well since $EE has so much more info stock then $OD-$OE I think I would make one with only ALDL.ds info that would be usable for everyone. Then if everyone could use this we could work together and add/build another custom version.

With $EE silence commands are a step I have to learn. I know there is a CCM (ALDL A239.ds) at 0xFO on Corvette that caused an issue because it was tied into serial data line. Looking at mine I do not have CCM (ALDL A239.ds) but does have SDM or SIR and EBCM tied into serial data that would need to be silenced. I will have to find the address for them.

I remember having to do some fiddling with that. Seems there is a difference between the TP4 ads and TP5 adx formats. When a ads is converted it doesn't add the 1 byte. Also, after I did the $0D files there was a discussion on TGO about this, seems most people were fixing the problem with a silence command or something, but Greg Moates thought adding the 1 byte was the best way. I'll look for that thread later today.
    This may explain a lot when I converted a ds for $85... it worked but had that jump/glitch. Adding one byte would be easy, adding a silence command... well what would you silence? Or would it be a pause?

-= =-

WOW! Thanks to everyone who has helped so far in sharing their knowledge so I could understand this!

Because of this I figure out what I need to do and sort. In opening each Mode 1 message I found so many duplicates it was incredible! So I am no sorting them so I am left with only one of each. That way the information only has to go to one place in the ADX, the way it is now one entry needs to go to several places. I don't even know if that is possible...

Also deleting LOGGED MALF, deleting NEW MALF , deleting OBD1 HISTORY MALF, deleting OBDII NEW MALF, deleting OBDII HISTORY MALF... and just leaving MALF. That is how all other ADX files are for all other ECMs. Starting to look like a normal ALDL.ds file

I am doing this in the ALDL.ds file so I have all pertinent info left, then recaculating words so I come up with correct size file, then on to making it a usable adx file.

-= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Here's the thread I was talking about: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...er-pro-v5.html
    Starts about 1/2 way on page 3 and continues on page 4.

Can't help you with silence commands, I would need to learn that too.
    Last edited by 93V8S10; 12-11-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Vintage Methane Ejector
    I am doing this in the ALDL.ds file so I have all pertinent info left, then recaculating words so I come up with correct size file, then on to making it a usable adx file.
    Not sure if I understand correctly, but you realize that the message coming from the PCM will be the same size, with the adx you are just choosing what you will look at.
    HTH

Yes it all came to me yesterday and I got one done. So I learned enough here and with cross/reverse engineering to build a adx from an ALDL.ds. It worked! Wrong just like the others...

Some things were set different then EE.adx available but I still got same results on a B car... sporadic data... I even found the address for CCM 0xF0 which my car does not have but Y and F cars do..., HVAC 0xEA, ABS or EBCM 0xF9 and SDMA or SIR 0xFA and disabled them in both mode 8 so I only get data fro 0xF4 from Connection Macro... still can not get solid data from the B car LT1... still the same as without... just can't figure out why... Years ago it was said to work on Y and F cars, but from reading all the LT1 forums no one can get it to work anymore... maybe it worked in TPV4?

I've got about 50 hours into this and for now it's a project that has to go on hold and catch up to life. Glad I learned this and all the help I got, but this PCM is a differant aniamal then we are used to playing with. Somehow, someday I will get it working. My scantool reads all the data and DataMaster reads all the data? Just not getting something right in TP...

-= =-

Well another 20 hours of learning, testing and searching through wiring diagrams and ADLS files and guess what?

Ha! I got an $EE.adx file that works in a B car! I also know how to make it work in a Y car and F car!

Now I just need a 1994 1995 Corvette, 1994 1995 Camaro/Firebird with LT1 to test them too! As far as my Buick LT1 which would be the hardest It is done and works!

-= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Cool!

What did you have to do for it to work?

Extra Mode 8 to stop HVAC 0xEA

I had a Mode 8 for SIR and EBCM too but took them out and it still works.

Those are three things tied into serial data line from PCM, but so far looks like SIR and EBCM are not interferring. I know Corvette has a digital dash CCM? 0xF0 that is an issue on those.

Once I get this dialed in for my B car I will look for testers on Camaro, Corvette and I know a guy here with an Impala SS. From looks on wiring it may need a little tweak for each?

Been working on making it a professional looking ADX like the ones you made, which inspired me to redo the $42 stuff!

-= =-

ALDL Mode Codes

Here are the command codes for 8192 BAUD ECM/PCM (Most copied from Internet?)
    Mode 0 – Clear All ALDL Modes
    Mode 1 – Data Frames (There are many different message frames)
    Mode 2 – Request 64 Bytes of Memory
    Mode 3 – Request 6 Particular Bytes of Memory
    Mode 4 – Control Mode
    Mode 5 – Enter Download Mode (GM Development)
    Mode 6 – Address Of Routine to Execute (GM Development)
    Mode 7 – Broadcast Mode (GM Development)
    Mode 8 – Disable Bus Chatter
    Mode 9 – Enable Bus Chatter
    Mode 10 – Clear Malfunction Error Codes

The most commonly used modes are Mode 1, 2, 4, 8, 9 and 10

Mode 1 is used for getting the operating parameters out of the ECM, in mode 1 there are also many different messages. Each message is a fixed length and contains different parameters such as RPM, coolant temp, vehicle speed, etc etc. Each message contains different items for different logging/diagnostic tasks. Some messages contain engine params, some transmission (auto only) and others for when GM connect tech-1 to calibrate the unit.
    This is what you normally see "Mode 1 Message 0" in TunerPro. This is directly from ALDL.ds file

Mode 2 is used to upload the binary (the contents of the memcal EPROM) from the ECM to a PC.
    This needs to be built into TunerPro, If you change out chip to EEPROM then you could upload tune from ALDL port like WinFlash does for LT1 PCM. It erases flash memory then uploads your new bin

Mode 4 is useful to fault find sensors. It allows you to substitute or slew sensor values. For instance, it is possible to override the coolant sensor and substitute it with a different value to see what effect it has. Or you can slew (or offset) the temperature by a few degrees.
    I have no idea?

Mode 8 and 9 allows you to temporarily disable the ECM/PCM from attempting to communicate with devices on the bus. If you don’t issue a mode 9 (enable chatter) frame after a few seconds the ECM will resume its normal communications.
    Mode 8 is what I needed to silence communications from my HVAC/EBCM unit at 0xEA

Mode 10 clears all the stored malfunction codes. If you are having problems and experience a CEL then a malfunction code will be stored in the ECMs RAM. It is possible to erase the codes by disconnecting the battery but this also clears other learning data so a mode 10 ALDL frame can be issued.
    See how to do this with TunerPro:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...on-Error-Codes

8192 baud is a bi-directional. READ DATA ON PIN "M" OF ALDL CONNECTOR. Send commands in and get data out!

160 baud and is a uni-directional (read only) data link. READ DATA ON PIN "E" OF ALDL CONNECTOR
    So Clear Codes will not work on 160 BAUD ECMs. It has no Commands, just 160 BAUD out.

-= =-

OK, I got a math question and need an equation.

This is from ALDL.ds.
    33 TRANDEGA NORMALIZED TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE
    DEG C = .75N - 40
    DEG F = 1.35N - 40
    And this is what I got for the way TunerPro want's it in conversion, I got this and it works right...
    DEG C is X * 0.750000 + -40.000000
    DEG F is X * 1.350000 + -40.000000

But I've been putting this one off because it gives me a headache... I think you put the 2 together as a 16 bit for one output, most are single 8 bit like above.
    34 TCCDC TCC PWM SOLENOID DUTY CYCLE (MSB)
    35 TCCDC+1 TCC PWM SOLENOID DUTY CYCLE (LSB)
    %DC = (256MSB + LSB)/655.36
    So how would one right this for TP conversion? Calling gregs78cam !!!! He has helped me with math before...

-= =-

and another double 16 bit entry...

30 NORAWA RAW OUTPUT SPEED (MSB)
    31 NORAWA+1 RAW OUTPUT SPEED (LSB)
    RPM = N/8

-= =-

OK, I got a math question and need an equation.

This is from ALDL.ds.
    33 TRANDEGA NORMALIZED TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE
    DEG C = .75N - 40
    DEG F = 1.35N - 40
    And this is what I got for the way TunerPro want's it in conversion, I got this and it works right...
    DEG C is X * 0.750000 + -40.000000
    DEG F is X * 1.350000 + -40.000000
    OK, this one is easy, -40F and -40C are the same thing, which is the lowest point the computer can "see". and the 1.35 or .75 is the conversion factor for the digital to deg

But I've been putting this one off because it gives me a headache... I think you put the 2 together as a 16 bit for one output, most are single 8 bit like above.
    34 TCCDC TCC PWM SOLENOID DUTY CYCLE (MSB)
    35 TCCDC+1 TCC PWM SOLENOID DUTY CYCLE (LSB)
    %DC = (256MSB + LSB)/655.36
    So how would one right this for TP conversion? Calling gregs78cam !!!! He has helped me with math before...
    This one and the next one are a little more complicated, and something I have not really jumped into but this is what I understand.

MSB = Most significant byte
    LSB = Least significant byte

Think of it this way. to get more resolution? or sometimes just a bigger number than 256, you need to send the value out in two groups.

resolution with 8 bit 0.39%
    resolution with 2 8 bit lines 0.000015%
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 12-23-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: dummy
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s