Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a LT1 $EE ADS file from ALDL DS file?

Building a LT1 $EE ADS file from ALDL DS file?

Well I'm figurung this ADS file is built from origanal ALDL DS files. I have all them.

Once they are converted or built you have the equivilent for instance $42 is ALDL A033.ds converted is now A033.ads. Import to Tunerpro and you now have an ADX that can be custimized in TP and hand edited in NotePad or EditPad.

Most ds files have been converted and available on TP website but the one I need is not.

Does anyone know how to convert/build an ADS from the DS?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

In the effort to lean...
    What is a ALDL DS file? Is it a datastream defination file from like a scan tool? Did you just copy that file from a scan tool and then convert it to another file type to be used in tunerpro? I know ads is what the older versions (pre version 5) of tunerpro used, and version 5 converts them to adx. I have no idea what all these names or file extensions mean, so I have no idea what the diffrence is.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

It's not overly difficult, just time consuming.

What you have to do is use the parameters that are stated in the DS file as the information you need to imput in to TP to create the ADS or ADX.

Look for my 160 Baud ADX tutorial on the Tuner Pro site, IIRC it's in the Scanner Pro forum. There are some differences when building an 8192 baud ADS/ADX, but most of the information is a straight across copy.

--==edit==--

here are a couple links:
    160 Baud ADX tutorial

A thread I started previous to the one above, that has some information about the bitmasks and such that can get a bit confusing:
    Creating ADX files...
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I looked over some 160 baud stuff I am familar with like the $42 which is from A033.ds and it made sense comparing it to an ads or adx file... I think I could do that... but there is no need they are all done...

But when I looked at the 8192 baud stuff and compared it to known files nothing made sense? Commands listed in ds were not correct in ads or adx... that is hard to follow... I figured if I could compare some stuff I could figure out why my EE.adx shows weird data...

I think this is going to be a long learning curve...

-= =-

You have to make sure you are using the correct .DS file to compare to. Sometimes there are multiple .DS files listed for the same or similar applications.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Done that several times. The one for EE was written using A223.ds for a Y car. Commands do not match up to EE.adx but are close, extras were added? Couple were wrong? Like 0x57 should be 0x56 from the ALDL.ds

My car is A276.ds I started with the EE.ADX and re wrote all commands exactly from A276.ds and will try it out later.

EE.adx for LT1 can not work on Y car, F car and B car because they all use differant ds files. I verified this by getting a trail of DataMaster and there is a differant setting for each car... for instance CCM has to be silenced on Y car. B car does not have CCM tied into datastream but does have SDM or SIR and EBCM tied into serial data that would need to be silenced. The way I redid the commands were straight from the A276.ds and it looks like they are in there. For comparison my commands are twice as long as origanal EE.adx...

But then again I checked the $OD.adx stuff and it did not match up to ALDL data A219 or A217, I forget which, again extras were added... So even if I get them right I need to know more about how TP uses them... or what the extras are?

-= =-

Just found the first EE LT1 adx file and another modified. In the commands they are nothing like what the aldl ds lists and nothing like the latest EE on TP website. So far I have about 15 hours into trying to learn how to do this from a ds file and just can't find the information.

Going to try them in my LT1 tomorrow and see if any work.

With Robert retired I just don't know if anyone will be able to figure these out.

Mark at TP is going to have to do a tutorial so we can write these. There's got to be a sceince to this. Even if I get data coming in on same it has a glitch where it jumps numbers for a second then back. Looked at the origanal EE first one written for SannerPro before it was incoperated to TunerPro and it has loads of silence commands the new one does not... with hex adress not even mentioned in the ALDL.ds... so how the heck do you figure it out?

-= =-

It's probably an offset that is confusing you, remember hex always starts counting at 0 (zero).

I thought about that after reading your ADX write ups and the Understanding Hex at TunerPro. But some of the address are spot on, some were not even mentioned?

So it's like they used all ALDL.ds address but added a few.

Then as far as commands, replies and macros they don't add up from ALDL.ds to what's written in TP ADX... that is one thing I have to figure out and there is no documentation on is Commands.
    1. Send Command
    2. Listen for packet response
    OK those 2 I have figured in the ALDL.ds
    3. Listen for silence
    4. Trigger
    5. Macro Command
    Those three I don't understand. But with these old/first written EE.adx files they have a bunch where the new one does not. I'll have to see if I can reverse engeener what's there

-= =-

Here's the one I have been trying to get to work... To make things more confusing the listings for LT1 are below. Doesn't matter to much to compare them as they all have the same Mode 1 Message send... well some are 5 and leave out the trans? But most have six.
    DATA STREAM A223
    ENGINE USAGE:
    5.7L MFI (LT1) (VIN = P) 1994 1B,F,Y 2F 4B 6D - CARS
    3.4L MFI (L99) (VIN = T) 1994 1B - CARS
    * 5.7L SFI (LT1) (VIN = P) 1995 1Y - CAR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONDATA STREAM A273
    ENGINE USAGE:
    5.7L MFI (LT1) (VIN = P) 1994 1,2F - CARS MANUAL TRANSMISSION
    * 5.7L SFI (LT1) (VIN = P) 1995 1,2F - CARS MANUAL TRANSMISSION
    DATA STREAM A274
    ENGINE USAGE:
    5.7L MFI (LT1) (VIN = P) 1994 1,2F - CARS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    * 5.7L SFI (LT1) (VIN = P) 1995 1,2F - CARS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    DATA STREAM A275
    ENGINE USAGE:
    5.7L MFI (LT1) (VIN = P) 1994 1Y - CAR MANUAL TRANSMISSION
    * 5.7L SFI (LT1) (VIN = P) 1995 1Y - CAR MANUAL TRANSMISSION
    DATA STREAM A276
    ENGINE USAGE:
    5.7L SFI (LT1) (VIN = P) 1994 1,4B 6D - CARS
    4.3L SFI (L99) (VIN = T) 1994 1B - CAR
    * 5.7L SFI (LT1) (VIN = P) 1995 1,4B 6D - CARS
    * 4.3L SFI (L99) (VIN = W) 1995 1B - CAR

Been looking through a lot of ALDL.ds files and good know working TP ADX files. One thing I notice added to TP files in a Mode 1 Message send is extra code added? not just this EE.ADX it is in $OD.ADX and others?

ALDL.ds says: MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 0)
    ALDL REQUEST:
    - MESSAGE ID = $F4
    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $57
    - MODE NUMBER = $01
    - MESSAGE NUMBER = $00
    - CHECKSUM

TP Mode 1 Message 0 send says "0xF4 0x57 0x01 0x00 0xB4" So what is the "0xB4" for?

ALDL.ds MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 1)
    ALDL REQUEST:
    - MESSAGE ID = $F4
    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $57
    - MODE NUMBER = $01
    - MESSAGE NUMBER = $01
    - CHECKSUM

TP Mode 1 Message1 Send and it says "0xF4 0x57 0x01 0x01 0xB3" So what is the "0xB3" for?

Go to third and last Mode 1 Message 2 and it adds a "0xB2"

Also found in A223.ds Mode 1 Messages for transmit data there are Six. But only 3 are in the EE.adx... I'm wondering if this is why I only get some data? So if I add the other three I may get my data, but really don't know if I should add a 0xB1 on one 0xB0 on another, but then whaat to do for third? Guess if I knew why they were there I would know what to do?

-= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    0xB4 and 0xB3 are the checksum.

Smile

ALDL REQUEST:
    - MESSAGE ID = $F4
    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $57
    - MODE NUMBER = $01
    - MESSAGE NUMBER = $00
    - CHECKSUM

TP Mode 1 Message 0 send says "0xF4 0x57 0x01 0x00 0xB4" So what is the "0xB4" for?

The "0xB4" is the checksum.

Luke Skaff's senior engineering project was to build a scanner tool. He documents the commands in Appendix A Table 7. The request command is at the top of the table with the response below.

http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=305

You can get his original report,
    Senior_Project_2007_Automotive_Diagnostic_LCD_Inte rface.pdf

Look under the section (or do a google search).
    4. College Senior Project Final Report

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    0xB4 and 0xB3 are the checksum.
    Ahhh from the guy who has made the coolest xdf and adx!

Now since I am trying to add the other Mode 1 data fixed messages how does one calculate the checksum? I just saw a pattern of it going down... but it should be calculated from something?

I'd sure like to get the EE,adx working for the 94-95 LT1 engines. It connects and gets some data, some wrong data and some NO data...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by historystamp View Post
    ALDL REQUEST:
    - MESSAGE ID = $F4
    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $57
    - MODE NUMBER = $01
    - MESSAGE NUMBER = $00
    - CHECKSUM

The "0xB4" is the checksum.

Luke Skaff's senior engineering project was to build a scanner tool. He documents the commands in Appendix A Table 7. The request command is at the top of the table with the response below.

http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=305

You can get his original report,
    Senior_Project_2007_Automotive_Diagnostic_LCD_Inte rface.pdf

Look under the section (or do a google search).
    4. College Senior Project Final Report

Robert
    Great link! I've read his stuff before about the Northstar DIS.

Here's what I found in that Senior Project .pdf

For reference, refer to Appendix A for the list of commands each ECU mode is

activated by. The most basic command set will include in this order: a message ID byte,

message length byte, mode byte, and a checksum byte. The more complex commands

will have other data bytes transmitted after the mode byte and before the checksum byte.

The first command in the command set is the message ID byte which lets the ECU know

what category of command it is receiving. Since all the commands listed above and in

Appendix A are diagnostic commands they all have the same message ID byte of 0xF4.

The next command in the command set is the message length byte. The most basic

command set has a base message length byte of 0x56 and any other commands or data

transmitted increments the message length number per extra byte transmitted. The mode

byte is simply the desired ECU operation mode number. Other data bytes must be

transmitted in the more complex data modes which are: mode 2, mode 3, and mode 4.

The last byte to be transmitted is the checksum byte. The checksum byte is the one’s

complement of the sum of all bytes transmitted.

-= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Looks like you've got the answer.

I didn't have to work with this on the masks I worked on, since working ADX files had been done.

Hope you can get it working.