Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1227747 to 16197427 Conversion Box!

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Attached is a $OE .bin I've used in an Ostrich 2 Emulator. I did not need to change the mask ID with the Ostrich 2. The attached BHDC .bin has been modified from it's original code!

dave w
    It doesn't matter whether you are using an Ostrich or an Auto Prom, while emulating, the checksum has to be disabled.

Sometimes you can still make changes and see some response while doing so without disabling checksum, but it won't be right. I had this happen on a '7060 using $85, then remembered after the tuning session about disabling checksum (first tune of the year), went back in and in minutes was running much better after disabling checksum.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

If you SAVE your bin file first, the checksum will be updated. Then upload to the emulator. That's another way of doing the same thing.
    Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

I just emulated with my 0E bin yesterday and everything worked fine.
    I started tunerpro, loaded my bin, uploaded to emulator, enabled and then went on my way. Made some adjustments to my main spark table, shut off engine, disabled emulation, made a couple more tweeks to the timing table (to smooth out my changes) saved it and burnt it to a chip. Everything worked just fine.
    But you say that since I didnt disable checksum, I messed something up? The way I listed it above is how I have always been doing it.
    Still would like to know just what exactly "checksum" is.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    It doesn't matter whether you are using an Ostrich or an Auto Prom, while emulating, the checksum has to be disabled.

Sometimes you can still make changes and see some response while doing so without disabling checksum, but it won't be right. I had this happen on a '7060 using $85, then remembered after the tuning session about disabling checksum (first tune of the year), went back in and in minutes was running much better after disabling checksum.
    I'm curious - when setting the "MaskID" to "AA" to disable the checksum - is there any way to validate it worked? I would enter AA, "save", "upload to emulator" and still not have any luck.
    ~ Scot

Quote Originally Posted by d0nk3y View Post
    PCM "off"
    Mask ID == AA
    Bin saved
    Bin uploaded to emulator
    Key on, and get the following result. (along with nothing running correctly)
    Your picture shows emulating but aa, I believe it has to be AA

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    Where did you download your copies? Seems that there is some problem with the ones at the TP site.

There are downloads of these files here and at Moates too.
    The entire zip package is available and also has been split up and each tested and put in different threads according to Mask ID as well:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...d-tuning-files

Quote Originally Posted by FSJ Guy View Post
    If you SAVE your bin file first, the checksum will be updated. Then upload to the emulator. That's another way of doing the same thing.
    Yeah but then if you make a change it shows but really doesn't emulate, like Six Shooter said above unless you change Mask ID to AA. AutoProm directions say the same, change to AA to emulate.

TunerPro always updates Checksum to bin file when saved. If you upload that bin to emulator it will work, but changes after will not. Checksum and Mask ID are 2 different things. TP has set Mask ID change to AA to disable checksum.

Quote Originally Posted by d0nk3y View Post
    I'm curious - when setting the "Mask ID" to "AA" to disable the checksum - is there any way to validate it worked? I would enter AA, "save", "upload to emulator" and still not have any luck.
    Back to AA and not aa... but I am not sure and have not tested... Change to AA, save, reopen and it will say AA. If your not sure close bin, load bin and check again but it will be AA.

When you have your bin loaded in TP and AutoProm ready, upload current bin to emulator, then you can Verify Emulator Ram Against current Current Bin. Then enable emulation. It is under Tools, Emulation. Or better yet right click on TP tool bar and check all the tool bars so you have buttons to click instead of going through the tool list.

Back to USB connections and AutoProm, it did it to me again last night, said it was connected but had 0 data. Restarted TP and it did not find my AutoProm on that USB port, I had skipped past what I always do... Set up your preferences to AutoProm and check Detect Hardware on Startup. Close TP. Unplug AutoProm. Restart Windows with AutoProm plugged in, or plug in after windows starts, set outer switch to inboard position, open TP and it should find AutoProm, if you have the switch outboard it will not find the AutoProm, make sure preferences are set right, close TP, try another USB port, open TP and it will find the AutoProm, then set switches according to what you are doing.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    You probably already know this, but if you have set a checksum error you will need to disconnect the battery for about 10 min to get a good clear. Don't know why it is, but checksum errors seem to take awhile to clear.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    if you make a change it shows but really doesn't emulate, like Six Shooter said above unless you change Mask ID to AA.
    If you upload that bin to emulator it will work, but changes after will not.
    Then why is mine been working just fine all along? I know when I emulate, and make a change to something like the timing table, I instantly feel it, so I know its working. I can be adjusting the idle timing and the engine responds instantly, same with regular timing, I can pull over, make a change, then take off again and feel the diffrence. Once I stop emulating, I can save the changes I made, burn to a chip, and it runs exactly the same as it did when I was emulating, with all the changes I made.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

There is no upper or lower case in HEX, just many people use capitals when talking about HEX to be clear about the symbol.

Like I said I had a '7060, where I was able to emulate, without changing the mask ID to AA, but had a LOT of error codes. The emulating was much smoother after remembering to disable checksum.

You can upload any bin to an emulator that doesn't have the checksum disabled and should run fine, it's only when you want to change something through real time changes, that it causes a problem.

There are two things I can think of that would cause one code mask to work and not others.

The first one is corrupt bins.

The other, and I have only read about this being an issue, I haven't experienced it personally, is that if the wrong XDF is loaded to Tuner Pro, when you upload a bin to the Emulator it can cause an issue.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Took tonight off.

We're having a Christmas chili cookoff on Wednesday, so after making dinner, I started on that. Then I switched guns on my plasma cutter and made a winch mount for my garden tractor (to raise and lower the plow). I'll resume pulling hair out tomorrow. :D

I appreciate all the feedback, tips and suggestions - thank you all *very much*!!!
    ~ Scot

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    You probably already know this, but if you have set a checksum error you will need to disconnect the battery for about 10 min to get a good clear. Don't know why it is, but checksum errors seem to take awhile to clear.
    No I did not know that? I have cleared errors on 1227747 in 10 seonds... but usually wait a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    The other, and I have only read about this being an issue, I haven't experienced it personally, is that if the wrong XDF is loaded to Tuner Pro, when you upload a bin to the Emulator it can cause an issue.
    Never thought of that because I always have bin xdf and adx loaded before I even start... I could see wrong xdf to bin being and issue when emulating and trying a change!

EDIT: Blew the dirt out of my keyboard so "C" would work...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    No I did not know that? I have leared errors on 1227747 in 10 seonds... but usually wait a minute.

Never thought of that because I always have bin xdf and adx loaded before I even start... I could see wrong xdf to bin being and issue when emulating and trying a change!
    Definitely when trying to change something, but it was said that if the wrong XDF is just loaded, without changing anything could have that effect. Again, it's not something I have personally experienced, but people have said that they have.

Gah.

What a mess. All of my problems: a faulty APU1/AutoProm setup. I've been spending the days taking data, making changes and burning a new cal using a Pocket Programmer. My Moates tools refuse to work in the cold (except for the data acquisition, thankfully!) and they're out of replacement units until early next year.

I've been "tuning" a $0D cal this way with no problems - just a gee-darned PITA with no emulation.
    ~ Scot