Thread: 1227730 7x Trigger wheel vs 4 notch?

Carb and Points!

1227730 7x Trigger wheel vs 4 notch?

Hey Guys!

I thought I may have read somewhere about using the 1227730 ECU and being able to change the crank trigger wheel from a 7x to a 4 notch by using the turbo sunbird memcal? Trying to find the info about that and failed to bookmark that page. Anyone happen to know where to point me in the direction for using a 4 notch crank trigger wheel? Thanks!

Matt

Super Moderator
    what exactly are you trying to do?

the 7730 interfaces with ICMs for DIS or dizzy applications, not directly with a crank sensor/dizzy. the ICM creates 2, 3 or 4X(depending on 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine) signals. some engines share a common reluctor wheel even with different cylinder counts(the quad4 for instance, seems to use the same 7X wheel as a 2.8/3.1 60V6), the signal magic is all in the ICM itself. the ECM only really needs to know when the ICM creates signal transitions relative to piston position.

it SOUNDS like you're trying to use a dizzy-equipped 4(or perhaps, 8) cylinder engine with $58 or code59, but IDK.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!
    Ah that's right! Man my mind is full with soo many projects lately that info seems to just.........escape.

Yes the goal is to use code59 on a 1227730 ECM I picked up. I'm planning on running this setup on a Dodge 2.0 motor and adding a DSM CAS for a crank signal (The 2.0 used a unique DIS crank sensor that the factory ECU read) and using a cavalier ICM.

If it doesn't work, then I would have to replace the 4-notch wheel in the DSM CAS with a 7x custom wheel. But I'm hoping I have my plan figured out.

Fuel Injected!
    if its a 4 notch reluctor sensor setup with the notches corrisponding to tdc of the cylinders and evenly spaced you can use a tpi chev v8 dizzy ignition module to interface to probably any delco ecu

Carb and Points!
    Yes that's how the current wheel in the CAS is machined, 4 evenly spaced notches.

The TPI chev V8 dizzy ignition modlue was more than likely the 8 pin? Going by this for HEI info/reading:

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm

Matt

Fuel Injected!
    yeah bottom left corner in the pic.thinking about it you would need to cut 2 notches away so its probably not the way to go unless you have to

Carb and Points!
    cutting notches in the wheel? That would put me back at square one. I know that some miata's used the same CAS and had an external ICM. Just not at plentiful as GM vehicles in the yards. Otherwise I would see about getting a new wheel cut to 7x specs if I had to. I feel like this is the last step to getting things wired up

Matt

The (DIS) ICM will not work with a 4x wheel. The ICM is expecting the 7x wheel so that it knows the position of the crank to know which coil to fire first, or when to fire the first coil in sequence.

You will have to create a 7x wheel to do what you want to do. If you went with a dizzy you might be able to get the 4x wheel to work, but it's not something that has been tested to my knowledge.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    I had a gut feeling about that. Thanks!